Lofoten Islands, Norway

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JamPan

Forager
Jun 8, 2017
Yorkshire
I've not heard of those, but just googled the make and they look nice and beefy!

It's not often you get Scandi boats over here, but the ones I've worked on are always really well designed and the build quality is superb.

I just designed a hood for an Arvor 730 last week for a competition fisherman. It had to drop quickly, and work the reverse to a standard hood in case he had a big fish and had to get the hood right out of the way quickly. :)

Sounds like you got yourself a good haul! My wife love eating fish, but she gets sea sick on land, so I couldn't take her on a boat.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
There is sn old Scandinavian cure for sea sickness. A glass if Vodka.
My wife gets seasick snorkelling, used to get sick on boats. A couple of times with the 'medicin' and she is fine!

Last edited by a moderator:

JamPan

Forager
Jun 8, 2017
Yorkshire
Hah! The vodka might work well for me with a swell but I nicknamed my wife quarter pint, so I think she'd fall over after a glass of vodka!

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Yes, most have been sold to companies that work in the high Arctic.
When I initially spoke to the company they told me that they have received a large order and t would take many months for delivery. But they realised how badly I wanted it. So they slotted in the manufacture of mine earlier.

My boat is 2 meters longer with a higher prow. No metal structure in the front, but a targa over the engine.
Same colours, standard. I wanted all black but did not want to push my luck.

JamPan

Forager
Jun 8, 2017
Yorkshire
Great! Did you have a camera?
I've never seen a whale in real life. I do hear of people seeing them from the beaches in North West Scotland if they're lucky.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Just an emergency phone so no photo. Whales are fairly common here. All you see is a black rounded back with a short fin. Plus the mist plume from exhaling. Not much to see reilly.
Short fin - Mink whale
Long fin - Orca. (killer whale)

I saw a couple of young males being frisky around some females. They jumped. Scary.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
:)

It harks bsck to childhood, when fried fresh herring was a common food. Has to be fresh, just as msckerrl.

But you are right, whales are interesting to watch, from a distance!
And good eating ! ( legally hunted here)

JamPan

Forager
Jun 8, 2017
Yorkshire
I do like the pickled herring, and have also made a pretty good star gazey pie, though I'd almost lost the will to live removing the fine bones for that. It'd be nice to try one fresh off the boat though.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Fresh herring is eady to eat, the larger bones come right out. The small ones ? Calcium. Good for you!

Whale meat must be done 'rare' or it gets a very livery or fishy flavour. Dark, lean. No cholesterol.

JamPan

Forager
Jun 8, 2017
Yorkshire
I do eat the fine bones to be honest, especially in kippers. Though the pie recipe called for them picking out with tweezers which I've only ever done that once. Also no one would eat my pie because English people are terrified of fish heads lol! At least I've got a proper wife now who eats everything. :)

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Up in the North, many restaurants serve whale. Popular amongst both tourists and locals!
You can get in in most supermarkets up here. Fresh, frozen. Ready marinated. Smoked.
I always take home a kilo or two. Lovely to BBQ.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
We took a fried out for dinner tonight.
Fried Cods Tongues for a starter, Whale steak ( rare) with sweet cheese sause, potatoes and lingonberry preserve for main and a Creme Brulee and a decaf coffee....

Our frirnd gsve us a small Halibut as a oresent, she went out with her dad and fished today.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE