Lofoten Islands, Norway

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
At Gardemoen ( Oslo Airport) now. Woke up really early, excited!
After the three flights ( Cayman - Miami, Miami - London, London - Oslo) my body clock is screwed. Only 2 more flights to go today!

If the weather is good I can pick up my boat tomorrow, drive it to Reine and start FISHING!
YEAH!!!

How do I post photos from an IPad?

Last edited by a moderator:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Arrived yesterday afternoon. Will try to get the boat today, and maybe get supper!

I just feel the biggies out there waiting for me!

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Well, I tried to drive the boat to Reine, but had to turn around half way through. Too much head wind, and waves. Too windy today, same tomorrow ( prediction).
So did some restoration work on the house instead!

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Time for Reine again!

Off tomorrow morning, this time for 3 weeks! This time we will concentrate on Halibut. I also ordered 5 more crab pots!
Of course, I will continue with the house. First on the list is replacing the kitchen I ripoed out in March.
Will be a lot of bbq's before I am done!

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Thank you. Fished a couple of hours when we drove our boat to our village. I got a nice summer cod, son got a large Sei plus we dot loads of Macketel. Those we will use as bait for halibut on a bottom line.
Will place it this evening.

If I knew how to post pics straight from my Ipad I would show you all the beauty of this place!

Janne

Feb 10, 2016

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Since I started coming here (25 years ago) the tourism industry has expanded hugely. Cayaking, trekking, fishing. Watching whales.
Even diving.

Aye, the waters over their are teaming with fish, they know how to take care of their fish stocks.

Not like over here were we decimate them, by over fishing.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Off again, departing on the BA flight tomorrow night.
I hope I can fish, it has been a bit windy. Boat was hopefully delivered to the village from its resting place.
This year I hope that wife bags a Kaffe Torsk ( Coffee Cod). A tradition by the local newspaper ( Lofot Posten) to give a kilo of coffee to everybody that catches a Cod of more than 25 kilos.

If no fishing, I will work on the house. Plus go and harvest a spectacular piece of Birch I found last summer. If cut wintertime it does not split when it dries.
Making a kitchen knife stand for myself this time!

We travelled through Scandinavia last summer and my son caught his first ever fish in a Norwegian fjiord near to Aksdal. We caught plenty of mackerel and some trout.
2016-08-22 10.56.13.jpg
2016-08-22 12.59.00.jpg
I had a 60 year old rod and reel from a friend and some spinners and spent days before we caught anything then they all came at once.
We really enjoyed our trip and want to go back but for longer.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Here's hoping that you all can wet lines in fair weather. Coffee Cod. I like that. Good luck.

Here in the PacNW, big salmon are called Tyee. 30+ lbs, I think. No free coffee or even a beer.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Those are some lovely fish, Bodge! Best ever you tasted, correct? Nothing beats ultra fresh fish!

RV, you should start the trend! speak to your local newspaper!

Those are some lovely fish, Bodge! Best ever you tasted, correct? Nothing beats ultra fresh fish!

RV, you should start the trend! speak to your local newspaper!

They were fantastic. Too many to eat so we froze some, traded some and gifted some. I got quite a taste for cold mackerel on crisprolls with cream cheese, tomato or grapes and black pepper. We swam, kayaked or fished where ever we stopped by water (which is most places) :)

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Mackerel is hugely underrated. It needs to be very, very fresh, it goes off wuickly. I find even frozen, own caught do not taste so well.
Some years ago I overdised on mackerel, the old gallbladder punished me so I suffered for a whole night. I did learn my lesson, and eat only one large one ir two smalker ines.
They are so abundant summertime in the Lofotens, we some days can not even reach the bottom with our lures.

A calm day we can get huge areas, maybe 50 meters across, with fish.
Herring in the middle, with mackerel chasing them in a ring around them, and large coal fish chasing the mackerel ( or herring?)
Once I even saw a pod of Orcas firming a perimeter.
But that was scary.

I always try to get my boat close and catch some herring, but it is virtually impossible to catch any. . I get maximum 10 herring in a two week period.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE