Loden gaiters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ogden

Forager
Dec 8, 2004
Forest of Odes
Some years ago I met a guy who told me about his gaiters made of Loden cloth ("always warm, never wet inside, no disturbing sound...").
I have tried gore-tex gaiters, which I don´t like because under them I was always wet. I still use my old canvas gaiters, and still like them. But wool should do much better. Any experience, any idea where to get them?

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
when the defusion gradient is higher outside they dont "breath" anyway.. and as you say, hobbitboy, you only ware gaters when its wet/muddy and they are always wet gortex gaters are about as useful as a Chocolate Teaspoon.

let us know if you find anything Ogden

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
I don't agree.

My reason for getting GTXgaiters was to get the yeti style with a rubber rand that seals around the bood and really helps keep snow & water as well as the mud out. These are pretty long - stopping just below the knee - so on the average day out I'm rarely caked in mud to this depth. The GTX really does help reduce the steam around the calves.

If you don't get yeti style, then they're not going to be waterproof anyway so I'd choose canvas for better wear and breathability.

Ogden - loden cloth is a traditional material used for hunting and outdoors clothes in Germany, Austrian etc. You can also get double mountaineering boots for alpine use where the inner boot is made of or lined with loden for warmth. I've seen these and it's like thick felt in this application.

My one concern would be abrasion resistance.

I've no idea of the website but the biggest name I've heard of on the German hunting scene is Edouard Kettner. They do a paper catalogue that's nearly an inch thick and has everything from traditional clothes through arms, knives, dog stuff, game rearing, bits for butchering and preparing trophies, you name it.

Cheers

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Personally I'd not use gaiters to keep mud off - after all something has to washed, whether it's your trousers or gaiters. And as you say when mud sticks on they are useless. Instead I use gaiters just for snow and ice, where it quickly melts enough to slide off, retaining breathability. I seriously recommend goretex if you're using gaiters or you will just fill your boots with sweat. Also I recommend you just use them in snow. :)

Ogden

Forager
Dec 8, 2004
Forest of Odes
I do not recommend the Edouard Kettner-shops. Sitting here in Germany, I know the shops and the catalogue. It´s for hunter, but the german style...dentists in Merzedes and..wow,they have heavy guns...
Kettner has strange Meindl shoes, which they produce only for them, looks like cheap stuff.
And they do not have Loden gaiters.
But I found my canvas gaiters there ten years ago - one point for them.

Loden-abrasion resistance should be ok, I have a Loden jacket and it´s strange: the cloth looks like as if you have to be careful, but it is made for work. They wear it in the mountains, people know what to do. It´s quite good in mud and rain.
Of course a pair of 1000 den Cordura has it´s advantages, but the striking reason for Loden is the sound! You don´t hear anything. Synthetik is horrible, even canvas loud; Loden - you hear birds and insects while walking.

I don´t see any use for Gore-tex in gaiters. Why should I walk with wet legs and shoes?

Nightfall

Forager
Sep 2, 2004
Nothren Califorina
Why could'nt one make them? I imagen one could get wool fabric to wrap around the legs. You could use cordage or velcro to hold them in place. With the cord one would have to check often to make sure that they are still in place. Any ideas on this?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE