Loch Shiel 3 night canoe trip!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
well early Wednesday we set off with the canoe and headed up through the highlands to one of our favourite spots for camping, Loch Shiel!

its a great place and one of Britain's few remaining wildernesses. we took our Tentipi and frontier stove and had a really comfortable trip. I took my fly fishing stuff and, with already having a rod licence, purchased a permit for brown trout fishing. there were plenty rising, and I've nearly had a sea trout from there In previous years, but unfortunately nothing this time, although it was still a great place to cast a fly.

it was a wealth of resources and we found literally hundreds of horses hoofs, and I prepped some amadou, for the second time, by carving off the cuticle, removing the pores then boiling the trama layer in hardwood ash and hammering it with the back of an axe head into nice flat pieces. we also made a cinnamon spiced currant and raisin bannock, which was delicious. we found , pig nuts, violets, wood sorrel and much more- some of which we snacked on, all of which we've eaten before and thoroughly enjoyed. we also found bracken rhizomes, which I've yet to trey but it looks quite nice. we spent the days paddling around to remote locations, collecting wood, walking through ancient oak and beech woodland as well as some remainders of ancient pine forest. the wood we used in our fire and stove was larch and scots pine as smalls and larger kindling, then oak for the logs. we used only gathered materials and fire steel/ flint and steel for the fire lighting, we mainly used old mans beard and birch bark, and even after one night of heavy rain we got one going no problems, there was always dry material to be found.

we had one funny moment, when the wind nearly tipped us out of the boat, thanks to big crested waves, we decided to portage over a headland (my dads idea) only to realise we had carried a canoe across nearly two miles of land and found where we wanted to be was up a near cliff face! which was disappointing to say the least! but we laughed and joked all the way and found the way back no problem, by which time the loch was safe. we only had one night of rain and half a day of heavy wind, the rest of the weather was gorgeous!

we practiced loads of skills and tried loads of things, most of which was honing of current skills, but we had a great time and did loads in the days, it was a jam packed trip!

we also visited one of the small lochs off Shiel, which was brilliant! we tapped a birch and got some delicious sap. we saw loads of deer tracks and scat, I spotted a red doe, and we both witnessed an otter swim up and dive back down literally 12ft from our boat!

we had a fantastic trip, and as always left absolutely no trace :)

anyway, pictures tell a thousand words, so here's plenty:

imagejpg1_zpsd7f2cbb2.jpg

imagejpg5_zpscb1917a0.jpg

imagejpg4_zps9fec3dce.jpg

imagejpg3_zps93c600c0.jpg

imagejpg2_zps84ca5059.jpg

imagejpg2_zps040a1c2a.jpg

imagejpg3_zpsf87eea7d.jpg

imagejpg4_zps2b7788df.jpg

imagejpg1_zps19318293.jpg

imagejpg2_zps270df30a.jpg

imagejpg1_zps5ce25649.jpg

imagejpg1_zps86abd50a.jpg

imagejpg3_zpsdf901587.jpg

imagejpg4_zpsed365ee8.jpg

imagejpg2_zpse2f9da55.jpg

imagejpg4_zps9c4ddf8c.jpg

imagejpg1_zps0f7b849c.jpg

imagejpg3_zps3d8fb1d9.jpg

imagejpg2_zps07960a8c.jpg

imagejpg1_zps82382e06.jpg

imagejpg4_zps32e67803.jpg

imagejpg2_zps25c1446a.jpg

imagejpg3_zpsc8b1c187.jpg

imagejpg4_zps156bfaf6.jpg

imagejpg1_zps331a35b4.jpg

imagejpg2_zps6a541db2.jpg

imagejpg3_zpsdb040da2.jpg

imagejpg1_zpsec9b7107.jpg

imagejpg2_zps8f46a5c5.jpg

imagejpg4_zps7564958e.jpg

imagejpg1_zps918f4d9d.jpg

imagejpg2_zpsd3d8965d.jpg

imagejpg3_zps40354803.jpg

imagejpg4_zpsd873d31b.jpg

imagejpg1_zps3f05ed7f.jpg

imagejpg3_zps172392cd.jpg

Last edited:

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
You know the more I see people pics with Lavvu's the more I want one... 👍

Sent from the smoke clouds of a poorly lit fire...

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
You know the more I see people pics with Lavvu's the more I want one... ��

Sent from the smoke clouds of a poorly lit fire...

They are worth it mate, most comfortable nights kip I've very had, I love tarps, but in the canoe for longer periods the comfort it great :).

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
A very nice trip report, Cameron. How did the bannock taste? Love the fly rod pics! Thanks for posting about your trip.

Cheers mate! It was really nice, sort of like a toasted tea cake, it was tasty and the fruit made it a bit more flavoursome than a plain one :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That looks like a brilliant jaunt :D full of good things to see, do and eat too :)

Thank you for the photos and the write up :D

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE