Loch Lomond wild campi

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Just back from a nice wee wild camp on the shores of Loch Lomond with my wee 3 year old boy Ross. Temperatures were very low all weekend but i took along my recently purchased Bison tipi and Frontier stove, so the cold wasnt a problem for the pair of us. My only regret was that i didnt take the canoe this weekend as the forecasted high winds never materialised and the Loch was like a mill pond all weekend.

So proud of the wee man, only 3 years old and hes putting tent pegs in already by himself, just shows you that if you take them out early enough they will learn to copy what your doing. :)

P1010471_zps609fad39.jpg

Had only been at the pitch site a short time when i heard a loud splash and looked round to see the wee man jumping in the Rowerdennan burn....D'oh, kids lol

P1010473_zps0fbb46cf.jpg

The Rowerdennan expedition party muster, complete with bushcraft lolipops...no expedition is complete without lolipops lol

P1010477_zps056b38d8.jpg

The wee man down by the waters edge on Loch Lomond.

P1010480_zps6f02bbe4.jpg

Had a bit of spare time so decided to put together a wee ships lantern, i started off by slightly hollowing out a spare piece of timber with my crook knife.

P1010493_zps44ac341d.jpg

Next up was taking a coal ember to burn out the hole for the oil and save me having to gauge out the wood with the crook knife.

P1010494_zpsd3b12c39.jpg

The desired depth of hole was achieved within half an hour by constantly changing coals from the frontier stove.

P1010498_zpsf45a36e9.jpg

Next up, i cleaned out the charred wood a bit and sealed the lantern with some Camelia oil.

P1010511_zps91ed67f6.jpg

Finally, i placed some quartz stone in the lantern and filled with olive oil.

P1010517_zps298a6b45.jpg

The height of the flame can be controlled by adjusting the length of the lantern wick, the beauty of this stove is that if its spilled the flame will go out and not burn down your tent.......probably lol

P1010516_zps9a508923.jpg

Woke up this morning to a slight dusting of snow, notice the smoke pumping out of the Frontier stove that kept us warm all weekend.

P1010520_zps532fb6c7.jpg

The view from the front door of our Tipi, Scotland really is a stunning country to live in.

P1010522_zps6a1d6a44.jpg

Another view from the Tipi.

P1010521_zpse0648144.jpg

Well thanks for looking, a nice quiet weekend with my wee boy in a lovely location, it just doesnt get any better than this. :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Excellent :D and you are so right about them going young :cool:

My Jamie, still in a one piece padded suit, toddled out in his wee red wellies to the waters edge at Milarrochy Bay, opened up his arms as wide as he could stretch, looked at the Loch, and said,
"Mine!"

I thought it was a wee touch ambitious, but reckoned that patriotism was maybe no' a bad thing to encourage :D
I think the bairn fell in love with Scotland right there and then :D
Bet your Ross did too :cool:
Thank you for the photos; brings back lovely memories :)

atb,
M

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Fantastic shots cant wait to take my little boy away. Frontier stove is on the cards within the next two months for the belltent.
Lovely part of the world too ;)

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Excellent :D and you are so right about them going young :cool:

My Jamie, still in a one piece padded suit, toddled out in his wee red wellies to the waters edge at Milarrochy Bay, opened up his arms as wide as he could stretch, looked at the Loch, and said,
"Mine!"

I thought it was a wee touch ambitious, but reckoned that patriotism was maybe no' a bad thing to encourage :D
I think the bairn fell in love with Scotland right there and then :D
Bet your Ross did too :cool:
Thank you for the photos; brings back lovely memories :)

atb,
M

Ha, love it Mary, only a kid could do that......hey since Jamie owns the Loch, do you think he could overturn the camping ban lol

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
Great stuff! And fantastic to see what the hills look like there; I passed that way whilst doing the West Highland Way some years ago - there was sideways rain-rain-rain almost every day :-D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ha, love it Mary, only a kid could do that......hey since Jamie owns the Loch, do you think he could overturn the camping ban lol

Funny enough I did ask him that when the ban was implemented. He said only if the (I'm being polite here) silly beggars would clear up their excrement behind them and stop cutting down the scenery.

M

Last edited:

WULF

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
A great weekend had by all by the looks of things,excellent pictures.
cant beat a lollipop eh;)

Bigrich

Jan 26, 2011
Malvern
Great pics Col of you and Ross, as much as I love being outside, being there with the kids too makes it all the better : )

Thanks for posting

Rich

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE