Loch Lomond at its best

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Its been too long since I posted a blogg here so going to do a couple. First this one from two weeks ago and in a minute last weekends clean up. So here we go

I managed to get out for a paddle last Tuesday but other than that it has been way too long. Also it has been a long time since I had a paddle at Loch Lomond. Today Jo, Sam and I had a good long paddle at Loch Lomond in near perfect conditions.

Despite having an hour stolen from us during the night we had a pack lunch all made, packed up and were at Balmaha ready for the off by 11am. The mist was still hanging over the loch and you could just see the top of Inchcailloch poking above the fog.

25_03_12_01.jpg

Paddling into the mist Inchcailloch comes into view. Crossing over from Balmaha there was still a slight breeze.

25_03_12_02.jpg

However, as soon as we were in the lea of Inchcailloch it was flat calm. Peaceful and tranquil with the sun breaking through. You could feel every worry and pressure of daily life just fall away.

25_03_12_03.jpg

We headed to the bay at the top of Inchcailloch to use the composting toilet there. The campsite had one resident. You can just make him out in red to the left of Jo's head. It was chaffinch from the forum. He had got the ferry over the day before and had spent a night listening to the Canada geese partying loudly.

25_03_12_04.jpg

We chatted for a while then headed off. We were planning on having lunch at Creinch. We paddled up the north shore of Torrinch and approached Creinch. You can also see bird poo island just to the left of it.

25_03_12_05.jpg

However, there was already a couple packing away their camp into their inflatable canoe at the spot we were going to have lunch. Rather than disturb them and have Sam pestering them we paddled to the south side of Torrinch and a small bay there.

Here we got the MK Kettle going and I kept Sam entertained while the brew was on.

25_03_12_06.jpg

Jo in the meantime adjusted to the hectic pace of this canoe tripping malarkey

25_03_12_07.jpg

The loch was too calm to not have a paddle so I did some solo paddling in the shallows with Sam keeping me right.

25_03_12_08.jpg

Eventually the coffee was ready so Jo and Sam found a good spot to sit in the sun and watch the world go by.

25_03_12_09.jpg

After lunch we took a walk round the top end of Torrinch. There were quite a few rock pools here so I decided to see if I still had the skills that had made me the 1974 World Newt Guddling Champion. Some skills stay with you for life ;)

25_03_12_10.jpg

Lunch finished and the top end of the island explored we paddled down to the other end of Torrinch. The conditions were still perfect.

25_03_12_11.jpg

It is at this end of the island that the stand of bamboo is. This was originally planted by an owner who had plans to have panda bears on the island. I kid you not. Of course that never came to fruition but the bamboo is there anyway. You keep expecting a Vietcong soldier to emerge from it.

This holding Sam lark was a lot easier when she was a smaller puppy. And Sam is a girl, that's just my thumb :)

25_03_12_12.jpg

From Torrinch we paddled across to Clairinsh, where someone decided to dig in the sand

25_03_12_13.jpg

By this point we were all ready for a rest in the sun. So we broke out the sandals and Jo had a read while Sam briefly lay down.

25_03_12_14.jpg

I say briefly as had been the case at every stop, the Canada geese were teasing Sam from just too far out for her to get at them.

25_03_12_15.jpg

After a good rest in the sun and 5 hours since we had set out it was time to load up again and head back to Balmaha.

25_03_12_16.jpg

Back at Balmaha the contrast with the peaceful and tranquil paddle could not have been more extreme. Everyone was out to enjoy the good weather. The place was heaving with tourists eating ice cream.

So when in Rome . . . . . .

25_03_12_17.jpg

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Flat calm water and a paddle in your hand - perfect! Thanks for posting.
I must get back on the water soon.

Z

Sent from dry land using Tapatalk

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Looks beautiful.
Have they stopped people crapping all along the shoreline yet :banghead:

I still miss my Rottie, like big dogs do, she went relatively early when she was only 8. She wasn't particularly large for a Rottie but weighed 8 st and none of that was fat! She looked very much like Sam.

ATB

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Thanks for that John.

can't beat that feeling of the weight of the world slipping off your shoulders when you get where you really want to be.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE