Loch Lomond all you can eat buffet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Another canoe trip. We went on a trip to Loch Lomond this weekend. Warthog, Bluecanoe my girls and I were heading off to Clairinish and Scott Charles River was going to join us on Friday night.

Russell had to get to my house on a three hour train journey. Since he was bringing stuff for Jim and had bought new paddles he was a little weighed down :rolleyes:

25_5_07_01.jpg

Anyway once adjusting the roof bars on the Defender to take two canoes side by side we headed off to Balmaha where we met Jim and loaded the canoes ready for the trip

25_5_07_02.jpg

Even with all the luxury items we could think of and the gear for the girls we still seemed to have plenty of space. Looks like I need more kit :D

Out on the water we even had some freeboard. It was a little windy on the crossing to Inchcialloch but once in its lea it was not too bad.

25_5_07_03.jpg

Once on Clairinish it was time to set up the tarps and our home for the next two nights.

25_5_07_04.jpg

Nick arrived to inspect our accommodation and seemed quite impressed.

25_5_07_05.jpg

From the water you can see the full scope of the Bedouin village we had created

25_5_07_06.jpg

We all agreed the weather was changeable. One minute sunshine, then cloudy then rainy. The rainbows had a hard time keeping up.

25_5_07_07.jpg

After a night of showers I took Gwen for a paddle round the island in a sunny spell.

25_5_07_08.jpg

And got the SotP shot. Of course I had to get my bow paddler in action.

25_5_07_09.jpg

The girls spent a lot of the day testing the hammocks to their limit

25_5_07_10.jpg

As did Jim:rolleyes: I sense a convert.

25_5_07_11.jpg

Out for a paddle I thought I better get the patented Lloyd self portrait shot ;) (Makes sense to SotP members)

25_5_07_12.jpg

The second night was a lot calmer with a good sunset for the girls.

25_5_07_13.jpg

Of course it was after sunset before we had dinner. We were running slightly behind schedule due to a three hour lunch SMbigthumb. Since Jim was the "new boy" he got the small portion of Haggis, Tatties and Neeps

25_5_07_14.jpg

And of course after dinner there can be only one camp dessert

25_5_07_15.jpg

Next morning we decided to try Jim's steel cafietierre on the firebox. Works well which is a bonus cause Jim is not a morning person and need his coffee to get him jump started in the morning. If only the girls were as slow to get started.

25_5_07_16.jpg

The girls decided to spent the last morning training the ducks that had adopted them.

25_5_07_17.jpg

All too soon it was time to break camp. As you can see we like to leave no trace. The damp spot on the sand is where the firebox was if it helps you bearings.

25_5_07_18.jpg

Considering it was dead calm first thing the wind had picked up a bit. Still it just makes the paddling more interesting.

25_5_07_19.jpg

Once back at Balmaha it was time to load up and go back to the real world.

25_5_07_20.jpg

I have kept this fairly brief others may fill in the details of the eating ;)

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Nice photos John,Russ it's good to see that you've cut back on the amount of kit you normally carry :yelrotflm

John its nice to see your girls still aren't convinced about the durability of the hammocks ;) :bluThinki or are you secretly training them up to be new gear testers,so you can get free goodies from manufacturers:D

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
great pics - thanks for sharing

all the pics i've seen from people canoing have involved hammocks. do you or any other canoers ever use tents? if not, is there a reason?

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
would you say that you genuinely find tents heavier. for two people are the weights significantly different. so much so that you'd notice it in a canoe?

plus, do you think that a tent gives you somewhere to 'go' if its chucking it down. i know that you'd have a tarp but i see it as being different.

i've not slept in a hammock so couldn't provide the other perspective....

i can defo see the benefit of them

MagiKelly

There is not a lot in the weight and you would not notice any saving in a canoe. The difference is the tarps give you a much bigger living area if it is wet. My tarp is 3 x 4m which is bigger than most 2 man tents and that is my single living space with a hammock. Once you start combining tarps you get a really big living area.

Also instead of being locked inside your tent if it is wet you are still outside and dry. you can sit round the fire and chat or lounge in your hammock and watch the rain pass by, whilst warm and snug in your hammock.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
would you say that you genuinely find tents heavier. for two people are the weights significantly different. so much so that you'd notice it in a canoe?

You do notice wt as it effects the trim of the boat and how the boat performs.

plus, do you think that a tent gives you somewhere to 'go' if its chucking it down. i know that you'd have a tarp but i see it as being different.

You can see out and get a view and you can chill in the hammock watching the world go by. Or russell cut fire wood.

i've not slept in a hammock so couldn't provide the other perspective....

I think if you try one you may change.

Nick

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
There is not a lot in the weight and you would not notice any saving in a canoe. The difference is the tarps give you a much bigger living area if it is wet. My tarp is 3 x 4m which is bigger than most 2 man tents and that is my single living space with a hammock. Once you start combining tarps you get a really big living area.

Also instead of being locked inside your tent if it is wet you are still outside and dry. you can sit round the fire and chat or lounge in your hammock and watch the rain pass by, whilst warm and snug in your hammock.

Very good points there. I guess I haven't really been to any places where you could use the hammock (sleeping out wise)

I'd love to get out more but difficult where I am. Having more living area with a tarp is a very good point

I think if you try one you may change.

Nick

I'm positive of that!

windward

Forager
Sep 28, 2006
Edinburgh
Hi there....great pics!!

I'm looking to do a bit of canoeing this year, never done it before so just looking at places to go....Loch Lomond was one of them.

How far is it and how long does it take to paddle from where you launched at Balmaha to Clairinish? Is there a car park where you leave the cars or do you just find a space roadside?

Is ALL your kit sealed up in dry bags or can you get away with some stuff not?

Vince

MagiKelly

In fair conditions you are about 20 minutes paddling from the camp site. There is a car park at Balmaha and most of my kit is in dry bags.

Some of the kit does not need to be but it is a force of habit. My drybags are actually pack liners. The same as dry bags but thinner and I have them in canvas packs.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Hi there....great pics!!

I'm looking to do a bit of canoeing this year, never done it before so just looking at places to go....Loch Lomond was one of them.

How far is it and how long does it take to paddle from where you launched at Balmaha to Clairinish? Is there a car park where you leave the cars or do you just find a space roadside?

Is ALL your kit sealed up in dry bags or can you get away with some stuff not?

Vince

Hi Vince,

• Balmaha is probably 25mins from stirling
  • Launch at the beach at balmaha, then park across the rd
  • in the free car park (obvious)
  • It's ten mins or less to paddle to Clairinish, Inchcailloch is closer, 300yds.
  • Clothes and tents/hammocks in LOMO dry bags, 80ltr I think, cheap.
  • http://www.ewetsuits.com/acatalog/Dry-Boxes-dry-bags-uk.html 100ltr £11
  • Pans, pots etc in a dry bag or rucksac.
    [/LISTF]

For further trip and gear advice and inspiration checkout
    www.songofthepaddle.co.uk

You could have been my bow paddler :cool:

Nick

Brian.T

Tenderfoot
May 24, 2007
Worthing, West Sussex
Great pictures. Looks like you all had a great time. Ive never done this but would love to have a go one day. Like Benp, I havent tried a hammock - yet! I will give this a go when I get the right kit and tarps. :)

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
To get to Johns for 9am I had to get a taxi at 0530 then three different trains with two 100litre rucksacks and two paddles
Honest I don't always pack this much well sometimes
Got to Johns and sorted out extending his roof bars realising that we didn't have the right drill bits to fit the new box section so we move the roof bars further apart which worked perfectly.

Got to Balmaha got set up ready to go weather and wind didn't look to bad maybe a little choppy on the exposed bits.
We set off OK but once we got out a little bit further its was a fair bit choppy-er than I'm used to but we made it light breeze my ar##

P5260054.jpg

view from my hammock

P5240006-1.jpg

changeable weather was a bit on an understatement one minute fine calm next howling wind and heavy showers

P5240015.jpg

Jim really seemed the convert

P5250042.jpg

Think he was coming around to the minimum of two hours for a meal to

P5250030.jpg

never mention the toxic cookie attempt again I can eat almost anything but that takes the biscuit
do not copy this set up very nasty

P5250041.jpg

busy looking fire box

P5250044.jpg

P5250020.jpg

P5250051.jpg

P5250053.jpg

P5250029.jpg

P5250028.jpg

P5260062.jpg

caught with my own hands lol

P5240005-1.jpg

our tarp city

P5260066.jpg

There were a few moments that were a little hairy but fun all the less just adds to the trip most excellent time great company , food and scenery

food food and more food and supper

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi Russ,i'd be interested to know about the toxic cookie thing and why you say to never use that set up?:dunno: nice photos by the way.

Oh nearly forgot is that John actually cooking something from scratch or do army ration packs now contain drop scones :yelrotflm :D If he did cook them they look tasty.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE