Loch Chon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
You're gonna have to tell me how you do that water effect, I've tried with long exposures and just overexpose to a nice white effect! :rolleyes: No idea if my camera is gucci enough to allow me to get similar results, but I'll keep trying!

Sounds like a good time was had by all though, well done to the organisers for their selfless act of getting others involved. Jacking up a meet of any size must be a daunting task, which reminds me, I must do the Wharcliff Walk again soon!

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Keep the exposure the same.

Set the Iso. setting to the lowest value and the aperture to the smallest setting (ie. the biggest number )

I usually add a neutral density filter to slow the shutter speed further but it depends if your camera will allow that.

Of course this needs to be done on a tripod as speeds are anything between 2 to 30 seconds so hand holding is not an option.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Keep the exposure the same.

Set the Iso. setting to the lowest value and the aperture to the smallest setting (ie. the biggest number )

I usually add a neutral density filter to slow the shutter speed further but it depends if your camera will allow that.

Of course this needs to be done on a tripod as speeds are anything between 2 to 30 seconds so hand holding is not an option.

So using the above method Gary, do you set it up as aperture priority and let the camera choose it's own shutter speed? Kind of forcing it into a long exposure?

The more I read of your techniques the more I realise there's so much more I need to learn about photographic techniques. Those photos are brilliant as usual.

Eric

Wayland

Hárbarðr
As you know I was moving on to do some photography after the meet so I though I'd post up a few results.

Alltchaorunn-t.jpg
Ardnamurchan-Point-t.jpg
Tioram-Castle-t.jpg
Castle-Stalker-t.jpg

Salt-Marsh-t.jpg
Buachaille-Etive-Mor-t.jpg
Eas-Urchaldh-1-t.jpg
Loch-Etive-Boat-Station-t.jpg

Blackrock-Cottage-t.jpg
Lochan-Urr-t.jpg
River-Etive-t.jpg
Mist-on-Stob-Dearg-t.jpg

There are bigger versions on the website if you're interested but I haven;t written up the info yet.

For anyone that's interested I've managed to finish the write up on these pictures now. :D

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Gary, what's the difference between a ND 4 and an ND 8? I think you explained that it wiould mean I could keep the shutter open for double the time, but I'm not sure if I remember that correctly! 7 day shop has cheap ones for 5 and 6 quid respectively. Will they do as starter filters?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The number usually refers to the exposure factor.

ND 2 requires twice the exposure. ie. one stop wider aperture or half of the shutter speed.
ND 4 requires 4x the exposure. ie. two stops wider aperture or quarter of the shutter speed.
ND 8 requires 8x the exposure. ie. three stops wider aperture or an eighth of the shutter speed.
ND 16 requires 16x the exposure. ie. four stops wider aperture or 1/16th of the shutter speed.
ND 32 requires 32x the exposure. ie. five stops wider aperture or 1/32nd of the shutter speed.
ND 64 requires 64x the exposure. ie. six stops wider aperture or 1/64th of the shutter speed.

As an example, If you had a base exposure of f 16 at 1/125th of a second.

An ND4 would give you f 16 at 1/30th of a second or f 8 at 1/125th of a second.

An ND8 would give you f 16 at 1/15th of a second or f 5.6 at 1/125th of a second.

I often use an ND64 which in the same example would give f 16 at 1/2 of a second or f 2 at 1/125th of a second.

Hope that make sense.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The number usually refers to the exposure factor.

ND 2 requires twice the exposure. ie. one stop wider aperture or half of the shutter speed.
ND 4 requires 4x the exposure. ie. two stops wider aperture or quarter of the shutter speed.
ND 8 requires 8x the exposure. ie. three stops wider aperture or an eighth of the shutter speed.
ND 16 requires 16x the exposure. ie. four stops wider aperture or 1/16th of the shutter speed.
ND 32 requires 32x the exposure. ie. five stops wider aperture or 1/32nd of the shutter speed.
ND 64 requires 64x the exposure. ie. six stops wider aperture or 1/64th of the shutter speed.

As an example, If you had a base exposure of f 16 at 1/125th of a second.

An ND4 would give you f 16 at 1/30th of a second or f 8 at 1/125th of a second.

An ND8 would give you f 16 at 1/15th of a second or f 5.6 at 1/125th of a second.

I often use an ND64 which in the same example would give f 16 at 1/2 of a second or f 2 at 1/125th of a second.

Hope that make sense.

:bluThinki

I think I've got it! Just popping my brain back in now after trying to follow the maths on that one! So, is ND8 no good? Should I go for a higher number?

:dunno:

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I've got a fair tripod that will hold it steady, I don't have a shutter release cable function but I can use the 2 second timer to eliminate any wobble from pressing the shutter release. I might get one to have a play with, nithing ventured, nothing gained!

Cheers Gary.

:)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The maths is simple if you just remember the traditional full stop settings.

F stops..... 32 - 22 - 16 - 11 - 8 - 5.6 - 4 - 2.8 - 2 - 1.4

Shutter speeds.... 1/1000th - 1/500th - 1/250th - 1/125th - 1/60th - 1/30th - 1/15th - 1/8th - 1/4 - 1/2 - 1 second.

Each stop represents a halving or doubling of the light that hits the film or sensor.

It only gets confusing because modern cameras have a lot of extra setting between these numbers that are half or third stop settings.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE