Loch Chon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
Just like to say a big thanks to Andy and the others who made me feel most welcome at the week-end. I went into camp a stranger and hammock and tarp virgin and left with new friends, new skills and stretched tapes. Wee special mention for Toddy, it's good to have a wee head and it was dry today in the heavy rain.
Thanks again, a cyber pint to you all,
jon

Soloman

Settler
Aug 12, 2007
Scotland
Where were you camped,on the big island?
Its a great place i went there and was introduced to the hammock for the first time.
soloman.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
For those that didn't know already, w00dsmoke and I found a great spot for a small get-together a month or so ago and PM'd a couple of people to ask if they'd be interested and to suggest a few others that might be. We had to keep numbers small as we weren't sure how many the site would sustain - we reckoned about a dozen - and we got about that many comfortably on the site with no impact. With that in mind I hope that those members we didn't get a chance to contact aren't offended.

To those that managed to come along - many thanks for making it a lot of fun.

To those that couldn't make it, sorry you couldn't be there - another time perhaps.

Even the Scottish weather couldn't dampen everyone's spirits and we were rewarded with glorious weather on Sunday. I think the weekend proved that great saying: Strangers are only friends you haven't met yet.

DSC00164.jpg

DSC00165.jpg

We chose the site as it already had a substantial fire-scar in a convenient location and situated in a spot that wasn't obvious from the road but only immediately accessible from the road at the same time. We also took the opportunity to clear away a small amount of rubbish that had been left by previous campers.

To everyone who made it a great weekend :You_Rock_

And a big thankyou to Andy for the administration side of it all! Andy and I are kind of lucky, we introduced ourselves to the local FC chap a month ago (who checks for permits and who monitors the area) and helped him out a wee bit. He knows who we are and where we were and he knows that wood/charcaol was brought in and folk would clean up after themselves. With that in mind he didn't even check on us. Well done to all who made it happen.

It was nice meeting you guys. Cheers

WS

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
It was a lovely site. great views across the loch.
the weather was a little ropey, but that aside, a good time was had by all.
next time though, I'm brining wellies for the boggy bits!

webbie

Forager
Jan 1, 1970
scotland
same as gregorach, i am sorry i couldnt make it i ended up getting called into work :(

any pictures from the meet?

webbie

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm just sorry I couldn't be there longer. It is a beautiful site and the company was excellent :D

Thanks for finding the site and organising this one Andy & Woodsmoke :You_Rock_

atb,
M

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
We had a great time too, I took the wee fella for his first night ever in a hammock and he loved it. The Sunday was heaven sent for a wee canoe so couldn't have asked for more :D Thanks to all for arranging it and the great company. I've got some photos but the gallery is still giving me gyp so I'll push them up into flickr and link from there.

Thanks again,

Cheers,

Alan (& Michael)

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Andy/Woodsmoke

thanks for organising this, I had a great time.
Would just like to thank Andy for the use of the tipi on friday, meant that I stayed dry and could join the campfire entertainment as soon as I took my pack off. Thanks to Woodsmoke for letting me try out the underblanket on Saturday night, I might have to look into getting one now.

All in it was a great weekend and Garys ging gang goo? was something else, hope you have managed to shift your cold? Unfortunately I had to leave early on Sunday morning so that I could take No.1 son to a gymnastic competition, but that paid off as he won team gold, a good end to a fantastic weekend.

Sounds like an oscar speech but a special mention must go to GrahamS for my new sig line - you cheeky sod.

Cheers

JFW

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
Must get my oar in too, In spite of my venerable age which fascinates Gordon, I thoroughly enjoyed the weekend and was sorry to leave so early on Sunday and miss seeing Tody, who always brightens up the general scene.. I enjoyed meeting all the new faces, who have just been names on the site up till now. it is always nice to make new friends and learn new skills.
Thanks for organising the site lads, we all appreciated it very much and were glad to be included in the invitation. I am sure that you will get an even bigger response next time.
It was good of Wayland to come along all that distance, as his presence always adds something special to these local northern meets, his craftsmanship is " Something else "
Cant wait for the next one to come round. Got some good Photographs, but still have to learn how to post them (slow learner)
Cheers and thanks again.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Thanks for an excellent meet. Weather was a bit mixed, and Friday's work meant I was arriving at 9.30pm, pitch black, raining heavily. Usually you can find camp by looking for a light in the woods. I did this and came across a rather cheerless camp with a large but unlit fire and no shelter except the tents. Naturally, it was the wrong group. :rolleyes:

The next camp had about 20 square meters of tarps over a circle of chairs/makeshift stools and a fire of reasonable size was well on the go, and there were half a dozen affable blokes in green supping Stags Breath. Nearby were various well spaced individual hammocks/tents, and there was no rubbish despite the best efforts of previous visitors, because it had all been cleaned up. Yep, you guessed it. This was the right camp.

A great meet with great folk, old faces and new. Thanks.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
ROTFLMAO!!! Yup, I do like your descriptive turn of phrase Doc.

I was glad I had left my BCUK shop-bought Coleman burning bright for late-comers - hanging about 7 foot up a tree next to my own pitch. :D

I did feel a bit sorry for those lads in the first camp, it was their first ever camping/fishing trip out. I was chatting to the four of them while Wayland was setting up his canoe earlier in the day.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Well finally got round to putting my photos up, didn't want to clog up the thread up too much so stuck it over on my blog. Tacked on a bit of my blogg from SotP as well but some here may not have seen it,

Cracking weekend, cracking camp, out followed by a cracking paddle, if only all weekends were made this way

Thanks again all for organizing it and putting up with us!

Cheers,

Alan

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
Gr8 images chainsaw and wayland...
Wayland, hope the rest of your week in Scotland was not toooo... wet, made my first bit of leather thong from the piece of skin you gave me and your expert tuition
thanks again everyone
jon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE