Loch Achray meet 13th -16th October, 2006

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
John Dixon said:
is there any one taking bows etc, not sure if i read there will be some archery fun on the meet??????????

Yes John, there will be archery fun. There may also be another archery competition. I might even supply the prize this time seeing as i won it last time. Bring your bows and arrows. Fun to be had by all.

Eric

John Dixon

Forager
May 2, 2006
Cheshire
Eric_Methven said:
Yes John, there will be archery fun. There may also be another archery competition. I might even supply the prize this time seeing as i won it last time. Bring your bows and arrows. Fun to be had by all.

Eric

eric.. i am looking fopr a long bow could you point tme in the right direction.????

cheers

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
John Dixon said:
eric.. i am looking fopr a long bow could you point tme in the right direction.????

cheers

Not right at this moment mate, unless someone else on here has one. I'll be making some more next year, but I don't have any more staves right now. I'll be cutting some nice straight coppiced ash once the sap is down (between November and January) and I'll source staves from those ready for next season. Until then I won't be making any longbows.

I might be making a couple of american oak flat bows with either a linen or sinew backing, but they will be for my own use. Sorry I can't help more. If you need the longbow for Loch Achray, don't worry, there'll be plenty there and most folks will happily lend you a bow to play with.

Eric

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Talking about bows, arrows and archery competitions, does anyone fancy a proper bushcraft skills competition? It'll be open to all comers and could consist of various bushcraft skills with points awarded. The one with the highest score wins. We could have senior skills for the big folk and a junior competition for the kids.

The whole thing could be run on the Saturday when most people will be there. It could start with fire lighting by friction. A timed event to boil a pint of water. Bow drill earns double points, hand drill earns tripple points and firesteel earns normal points. Points are converted from the time taken from start to rolling boil.

Canoe orienteering on Loch Achray. This could be a number of orienteering type markers (a code letter printed on an encapsulated card) distributed around the loch shoreline. Contestants have to paddle on given compass bearings from one clue to the next and find the letter. The points are awarded based on time taken and accuracy of answers.

Both of the above could be an optional event (choose one or the other) allowing SOTP members a chance to score well if their firelighting skills are found wanting.

Archery Each competetor gets five arrows and has to shoot at a target at a given distance. Total score is converted to points.

On the firelighting competition, scoring would be that everyone starts with thirty points and loses a point for every minute taken. If the water hasn't boiled within thirty minutes, that person gets no score and moves on to the next event.

Canoeing scores ten points for accuracy in finding the answers on the cards, losing one point for each wrong or missing answer. They have fifty points to start with for the timing part and lose one point for each minute taken on the water. That way the fastest out and back loses the least points and scores the highest. Also there must be at least three markers found to get a score.

Scoring for the archery will be five points for a gold (bull), three for an inner and one for an outer.

Add all the scores up and the highest is our winner.

If anyone has suggestions for other activities along these lines please post them below. I will put up a waxed leather flask as a prize (valued at £40).

As I won't be competing myself, I'd be happy to help organise the event. Anyone else not feeling competitive might like to volunteer to score keep etc.

The kids competition would be similar to the adults but on a smaller scale. We'll need rescue boats out for the kids event.

Well, what do you all think? Good idea or not? It's your meet, so it's your choice. It will help to hone bushcraft skills though.

Eric

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
JohnC said:
Sounds a good idea Eric.
How about pioneering stuff like a tripod and pot hook, or nettle string.

Good suggestion, but how would you score it? It would be subjective and could lead to arguments. Timed skills are easier to manage and we're there to have fun after all. I don't fancy mediating between two people who think their grass rope is the best, or have to decide which of the dozens of pot hook types is better than another.

Eric

David B

May 12, 2006
Tadcaster North Yorks
The competition idea sounds good to me.
How about it being a team event e.g. Bushcrafters + Canoeists.
To get people together put names in hats one for bushcraft skills and one for Canoe skills and draw out random teams.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Yep, I see what you mean Eric. I supose it could be timed, but that may be no fun.
You could see the breaking point of the string I suppose, pan of water, cups added till it snaps?

How about wood whistles? I've never had success yet.

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
MagiKelly said:
The Forest Drive has been shut early due to the road needing work done to it and felling work is taking place, not near the site, so we still have the use of the camp site and it means that we have to come in the exit but other than that no problem.

John,

I am hoping to arrive on the Saturday morning by car - will I be able to access the site without anyone having to let me in?
could you post up access arrangements for the late arrivals/first timers.

Cheers

JFW

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
JFW said:
I am hoping to arrive on the Saturday morning by car - will I be able to access the site without anyone having to let me in?
could you post up access arrangements for the late arrivals/first timers.

Access should be open for the duration it is just a case of coming in the exit of the three forest drive. I do not have a map that I can post but am sure someone will have (looks around for Groovski ;) )

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
From the south:

M73>A80(M80)>M9 Junction 10
....then A84 to just past Callander
...then A821 which will be signposted Aberfoyle.

Along the side of Loch Venacher, round Loch Achray then keep your eyes peeled for the out gate of the forest drive.

From Glasgow or thereabouts:

A81 to Aberfoyle then up over Dukes Pass.

achray.jpg

Forest Drive is anti-clockwise, we're using the exit and driving in the wrong way to the youth campsite.

achray2.jpg

Handy, there's still a map on my server from last year. Should print to scale at A4.
http://uploads.gp500store.co.uk/Grooveski/Pit_Surface/Achray_1-25000.pdf
(my server, that's a laugh :rolleyes: )

I'll do the usual mapwise for the canoes.

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Thanks for clearing that up for me, Im sure I'll still get lost.

I'm away on holiday next week so am currently packing my gear so that it's all ready to go. Looking forward to meeting old friends and new.

Cheers

JFW

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
JFW said:
Thanks for clearing that up for me, Im sure I'll still get lost.

I'm away on holiday next week so am currently packing my gear so that it's all ready to go. Looking forward to meeting old friends and new.

Cheers

JFW

Pack your bodrahan mate. This is what we got up to at the last meet.

52small.jpg

Eric

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
having tried it at the last meet, i can say without fear of contradiction, i can't play the bodrahn.
i'll take my feadog though.
it's going to be fun.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
It's a lot harder than it looks - or at least, I found it so.

I'll be bringing a whistle, and if I feel really enthusiastic and there's space in the car, I might manage to squeeze my 12-string in as well.

I'd be up for a little light-hearted archery competition, but I'm not too sure about getting competitive with fire and canoes... ;)

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
MagiKelly said:
Just an updated list.

Eric_Methven
Graham_S
MagiKelly
stuart f
gregorach
Grooveski + Scott
Scuba Pete
JohnC & Joe
Toddy, Varibo, Fiona & Denise
warthog1981
CraigM9
Goose
The Joker
Doc plus two sons
Narc plus kids
John
wildrover
jamesoconnor
Morch & Scout
Emberglow
locum76
Wayland
Match
John Dixon
David B & Mike B
Blutack

Silvergirl + 2 children

Hi there

Is there room for one more, pretty please? I've been meaning to come on one of these things for a while, and I've got a weekend off.....

Fingers crossed

Rat

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE