Local patch...pic heavy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

seany boy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2006
Lincolnshire
Well over the last few weeks i've been reading the post here on this part of the forum and looking where everyone has been and what they've been doing.........great post and great pictures, the trouble is i seem to have been trapped at work unable to get out since god knows when!!

Well today i got a couple of hours reprieve :)....managed to visit my local patch for the first time for way too long and although it isn't as exotic as most of the places people post about, i thought i'd share a few pictures all the same.
No did'nt get a chance to do any bushcrafting but it was so good to be out in the fresh air.

After parking the car and taking a short walk i came to a few Brent geese feeding on some grazing land.......

OutAbout2008001.jpg

The darker green bank behind the geese in the picture is the sea bank, which protects the local low lying fenland from flooding.

The picture below is taken as i approached the sea bank and gives some idea how high it is......

OutAbout2008004.jpg

At the top of the sea bank you look out over saltmarsh, beyond which is "The Wash"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wash

OutAbout2008005.jpg

Looking back from the top of the sea bank you can see how flat the local area is...

OutAbout2008006.jpg

A few more shots as i made my way along the top of the sea bank.......

OutAbout2008007.jpg

OutAbout2008008.jpg

OutAbout2008009.jpg

Come August/September the Saltmarsh is covered in what is locally know as "Samphire", which is somewhat of a local delicacy. It is perhaps more accurately known as "Marsh Samphire" but also known as "Glasswort"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasswort

A last look over the Marsh before i made my way back to the car.........

OutAbout2008010.jpg

As I made my way I passed a few Hawthorns, the blossom smelt particularly good today......

OutAbout2008012.jpg

Hopefully it wont be as long before i'm back again.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Is it right that these picture are destined to become archive shots as it seems the area is under threat from rising sea levels and the government plan to allow a chunk to be reclaimed by the sea?

Mang

Settler
Had to laugh, I viewed the pics and thought that's like Lincolnshire (where I used to live) before checking! I used to live in Skegness so I'm guessing you are somewhere roughly just North or South of this? No wonder they built airbases in this county during the war!

Staghound

Forager
Apr 14, 2008
Powys
www.mid-waleslogbuildings.co.uk
Staghound, whereabouts is that? I'm Powys myself - near Llyswen, Brecon way.
Looks stunning!

Bit north of you then, not far from Llanidloes. I'll try and post some more pics of the area with more info tomorrow in a new thread rather than hijack seany boy's thread any more. :sad6: :tapedshut:

Staghound - be that a large puffball on the grass??????

Fraid not, t'is a recent photo, white blob is just a lump of shed fleece.

Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE