Llangollen group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
Hi folks - been busy at work so not been on since before the meet. What a fantastic place! Dave, thanks for setting it up! Nat - top eclair! Matt, thanks for the lift, Intrepid, Soggy, Red Kite, Elevenses, and everyone else - Thanks for a top time!

Just a shame that I had to bid my farewells on Saturday tea time.

Anyway - here's to next time.

Chris

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Hi folks - been busy at work so not been on since before the meet. What a fantastic place! Dave, thanks for setting it up! Nat - top eclair! Matt, thanks for the lift, Intrepid, Soggy, Red Kite, Elevenses, and everyone else - Thanks for a top time!

Just a shame that I had to bid my farewells on Saturday tea time.

Anyway - here's to next time.

Chris

Chris, Is there any chance of a photo of your "steamer" stove and how to build it. Ive purchased the steamer bit but am unsure how the stove is to be used.
Cheers.
Stu.

polecat paul

Sep 7, 2006
Nantyr, llangollen
Hi all sorry i could'nt make it down for the weekend theres just a couple of things about the weekend that i want to say , if you are using my kit that i have left down there ie, pot stand, parachute, tripod, would it be possible to leave the said items back where you found them please as i had a group on the following tuesday and spent ages looking for my pot stand which i found in the centre camp, also there was some rubbish left in the parachute, as i teach leave no trace seeing this was a bit disappointing , well rant over i hope you all enjoyed the weekend:nono:

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Hi all sorry i could'nt make it down for the weekend theres just a couple of things about the weekend that i want to say , if you are using my kit that i have left down there ie, pot stand, parachute, tripod, would it be possible to leave the said items back where you found them please as i had a group on the following tuesday and spent ages looking for my pot stand which i found in the centre camp, also there was some rubbish left in the parachute, as i teach leave no trace seeing this was a bit disappointing , well rant over i hope you all enjoyed the weekend:nono:

Paul I must apologise as it was me that took the pot stand to the middle camp. The reason was we were left instruction to replace kit and the last time I used it was at middle camp so I thought I was doing the right thing. As for the rubbish, I carried out and disposed of three bin bags which I believed was the entire groups refuse for the weekend, if there were any remnants I sincerely apologise and I'm sure those who left after us did their best efforts if some things were accidentally missed.

You have a beautiful camp and I hope you don't hold a negative impression all things considered.

elevenses

Forager
Jan 7, 2008
cheshire

HI Paul

Apologies from me to, Myself and Matt cleared up before we left and I thought we had got all the litter before we left , We put the utensils where we thought they had come from. We did have your best interests at heart sorry :(

Hope this has not left to much of a bad impression

M

lightfoot

Forager
Jul 5, 2006
Chester

Hi Paul

My apologies for the inconvenience to you. It was my responsibility.

polecat paul

Sep 7, 2006
Nantyr, llangollen
Thanks everyone apolgies excepted, i have since taken all my kit out as the council has just brought there own woodland which is right by where i live so will be setting up there

lightfoot

Forager
Jul 5, 2006
Chester
My apologies for being so quiet but I've been hoping to speak with Dave the Wood to find out what he wants to do next. However, that hasn't happened so when I do get to speak to him I will suggest that if he wants people to visit the wood then I will PM his phone number to those of you who have already been so that you can contact him direct when you want to visit.

As for the August meet I don't know what to suggest. My finances are such that I can't afford to go and if Dave the Wood has changed his mind then it would be pointless organising for it. I doubt that's the case though. I assume he must be very busy at the moment.

I'm very sorry if this situation is a disappointment. Hopefully it will get sorted out soon.

elevenses

Forager
Jan 7, 2008
cheshire
hi all

Lightfoot has informed me dave the wood is still happy for us to go down so if anyone is still up for this weekend please let me know ASAP and i will call dave the wood with numbers

cheers

M

lightfoot

Forager
Jul 5, 2006
Chester
Easier still. I'm going to the wood on Friday afternoonish so if anyone who hasn't been before wants to come then you're welcome. Let me know by tomorrow evening. alternatively ask someone else in this forum hwo is going and who has been before for directions. If you have loads of kit then post in this forum and maybe someone can give you a lift in. I recommend that you walk in.

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
Chris, Is there any chance of a photo of your "steamer" stove and how to build it. Ive purchased the steamer bit but am unsure how the stove is to be used.
Cheers.
Stu.

Stu,

Sorry - been away from the forum for a while. Basically you need one of these (which I got from Woolworths but isn't on their webpage):

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?i...v=/images%3Fq=folding+steamer&gbv=2&hl=en

You remove the central lifting handle by pulling it out.

And the plate from one of these which you used to be able to buy seperately :

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.200-4142.aspx

Basically you punch a hole in the centre of the plate, push a bolt through it, drop the steamer onto the bolt (it already has a hole in the bottomof the steamer) and tighten a nut onto the bolt thread.

Hey presto, when combined with the three hinge pot stand (3No 5 inch long STRAP hinges, a countersunk bolt and a wing nut) you get something like this:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/gallery/data/500/CIMG0909.JPG
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/gallery/data/500/CIMG0910.JPG
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/gallery/data/500/medium/CIMG0911.JPG
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/gallery/data/500/medium/CIMG0912.JPG

Because you are using a plate from the cooking set the spare plates, the cooking bowl and the pot stand all fit inside the main pot! Also the steamer can be part opened so that you can rest your dutch 44 patern tin mug on the cooker to warm a brew over a couple of hexi blocks!

Oh, final tip of the day; keep a pencil sharpener in your kit. Why? It's raining and you have no tinder, strip the soggy bark off pencil thick twigs, run the twigs through the pencil sharpener and in a few minutes you have a big pile of tinder!! Now how good is that?! (This idea came from the news letter issued by Trueways Survival Club).

Chris

lightfoot

Forager
Jul 5, 2006
Chester
Looking good for a nice quiet bank holiday weekend down at the wood - me, elevenses, dwardo and John the bow. Anybody else?

We'll be sitting round the fire having brews, walking around a bit and looking at stuff, sitting round the fire having more brews, shooting some arrows, having a beer, gathering some wood, having a beer, cooking, having another beer, nattering about women, work and other woes, having a beer and then, no doubt, collapsing exhausted into our hammocks after such a tough day!

elevenses

Forager
Jan 7, 2008
cheshire
teenage grandad has told me he hopes to be joining us on sat night

Looking good for a nice quiet bank holiday weekend down at the wood - me, elevenses, dwardo and John the bow. Anybody else?

We'll be sitting round the fire having brews, walking around a bit and looking at stuff, sitting round the fire having more brews, shooting some arrows, having a beer, gathering some wood, having a beer, cooking, having another beer, nattering about women, work and other woes, having a beer and then, no doubt, collapsing exhausted into our hammocks after such a tough day!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Agreed. I remember the stove and was very impressed. Be worth posting this is in DIY and Trad Crafts if you haven't already. Same with the pot stand you made from hinges. What were they called again - 'leaf hinges?'

Strap hinges - I made a couple as well - great kit and cheap!

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
I would have loved to come but unfortunately my back condition has flared up meaning that for the last coulple of weeks I have had trouble simply walking.

Hope to see you all around the wood soon though.

Chris, Ive not read your instructions yet, but thanxs alot. You seem to have some great ideas. Im still looking for a set of the correct hinges for the pot stand, but every where I go only seems to have T hinges.

Stu.

elevenses

Forager
Jan 7, 2008
cheshire
I would have loved to come but unfortunately my back condition has flared up meaning that for the last coulple of weeks I have had trouble simply walking.

Hope to see you all around the wood soon though.

Chris, Ive not read your instructions yet, but thanxs alot. You seem to have some great ideas. Im still looking for a set of the correct hinges for the pot stand, but every where I go only seems to have T hinges.

Stu.

Stu i think i know where i can get some if you want me to check it out let me know

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE