Llangollen fathers day paddle very pic heavy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
I have been meaning to write this all week but shifts at work and other commitments have claimed my time until now.

We arranged to meet up and paddle the Llangollen canal last Sunday. The motley crue for the trip would be Lin, Helen, Tom, Red kite, Regbella and myself. We met up at the motor museum on the outskirts of Llangollen at 11 am. The day was bathed in glorious sunshine, the canal was flowing past bubbling away crystal clear. At the put in point we bumped what looked like a school trip out for a paddle on the canal. It was good to see kids getting out on the water having fun raft building with their old towns.
After sorting out the car shuttles we put in and set off down the canal.
paddling&

Stunningly beautiful
Then we hit the first of the snarl ups as a canal barge ran aground on a corner. We waited for a while as they floated back and forth across the canal until we got bored and paddle past very quickly.
P6150004.jpg

One of the many lift bridges along the way.
P6150011.jpg

After a while regbella wanted to have a play with his new motor and see how many canoes it would pull. So we all roped up and set off.
P6150016.jpg

This caused much amusement to other people on the canal as we chugged past. The motor was quite happy pulling along 4 canoes with 5 people. Granted we would never win any speed contests but being sat at the back of the line munching sweeties was a nice change.
After this we all had a swop around in the boats and we passed this monstrosity in battleship grey. It was made all the worse by the stunning countryside it was sat in.
P6150025.jpg

A few miles down the canal we came across the basin and pulled over for a brew where we saw another kids group out for a paddle complete with pirate flags and a bird puppet. They comprised of a couple of open boats and several kayaks for the kids.
P6150034.jpg

Regbella and Helen don’t believe in roughing it along the way so they got a silver platter for their brew.
P6150029.jpg

After we all had been fed and watered we all got back into the canoes and got paddling again. This was the start of many a long wait at tunnels and aquaducts while we waited for barges to pass by.
P6150037.jpg

P6150038.jpg

This is the best picky we got of Red kite all day as he must be in some special force or something as the camera seemed incapable of catching him looking at it all day. Even now he was sitting in the background hiding.
P6150039.jpg

After a long wait and about 6 barges coming across the aquaduct we manage to get a clear spot and went for it.
P6150043.jpg

Looking down onto the river Dee.
P6150042.jpg

The obligatory shot forward
P6150048.jpg

and now back
P6150050.jpg

Yet another wait
P6150054.jpg

P6150053.jpg

In one of the tunnels ( sorry cant remember which)
P6150060.jpg

By all accounts this is a rare event to see Regbella and Helen in a boat together.
P6150061.jpg

It got all a bit whacky races for a while
P6150066.jpg

Tom decided to change his paddling position mid river for some reason….
P6150073.jpg

P6150083.jpg

This was taken just before the major disaster of the day. When Tom dropped his camera into the water while paddling thru the tunnel……gutted and I believe his vocabulary showed everybody in Wales this.
As we was already out of the tunnel we just heard
Bang…….splash……..lots of screaming.
At first we thought Tom had fallen in…….or was sinking…….then we realised that he was still shouting so could not be going under……so it must be the worlds biggest rat jumping into his boat. At this point he paddled out into view followed by Red kite and apologised for his colourful use of the English language. Poor Red kite was still trying to regain his hearing. Of course we all offered our condolences …….welllllll in between poking fun.
Over the other viaduct.
P6150089.jpg

We paddled the rest of the way with nothing eventful happening. As we sorted out the boats onto the trailer for the shuttle back to the start, Helen decided she would hide so she didn’t have to do any work…….got her card marked lol
P6150092.jpg

Other than Tom dropping his camera and waiting for what seemed to be hours, it was a great paddle. One thing we would do different would be to go midweek if possible…..or at least avoid fathers day.

Cheers for reading Greg.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Great stuff!

I love the Chirk aqueduct - first time I walked across it was the first time I went to my girlfriend's (now wife's!) parents, and I'd been to the pub for a bit of Dutch courage!

Walking along that narrow ledge after a couple of jars in the dark is kinda entertaining!

How far was your overall paddle?

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
Cheers for the comments guys the paddle was about 9 miles we rekon but to be honest with the motor and the water flow it didnt feel anywhere near that. i have paddled 6 1/2 miles down from marple to bugsworth basin and that felt further.
For anybody looking to paddle the Llangollen canals they are really worth the effort just do it mid week when it will be nice and quiet.

Cheers Greg

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Excellent stuff, great to see that you had a good time, i'm trying to make time to get us all out in our Tripper XL. Thanks for the inspiration :D

PS, i've just moved this to out and about ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE