liver toffee

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
what the heck is it - I read a reference to it regarding world war two aircrew evasion kits. it was packed in a tin along with glucose and malted milk tablets.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Sorry to hijack a little but I used to love Horlicks tablets when I was a kid, they stopped making them, but does anyone know of another source of malted milk tablets?

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Sorry to hijack a little but I used to love Horlicks tablets when I was a kid, they stopped making them, but does anyone know of another source of malted milk tablets?

As far as I can see these are now called "Horlicks Malties" and you can just about find them on the internets. Mostly seems to be the bay of evil and places in the states. Let me know if you get any and find somebody reliable - It'd be a flashback to my childhood for sure.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
I dont know I'm reading lots on ww2 but no mention - I can only think that its maybe a kind of liver jerky oxo cube type of thing.

my grandad was raf he might know when I see him next providing he's compus mentus

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales

Make your own?

Dissolve a jar of horlicks in as little warmed evaporated milk as you can get away with. Pour into a clean, unscratched nonstick baking tray, just like you would tablet. Let it set for a little while then dry the tray out either on top of a radiator or sitting in a very low oven with the door slightly ajar. You don't want to cook it, regardless of how good it smells :rolleyes: , just dry it out. Before it sets hard press a clean, wetted in hot water, knife blade into the paste to make a grid of small squares. As soonas it's dry enough to turn out of the tray, turn it upside down and allow the base to dry out too. Break up into the marked squares and store in an airtight bag. Smells great, tastes wonderful and has all of the calorific impact of a neutron bomb :D

Cheers,
Toddy

blueprint

Aug 22, 2008
orkney
what the heck is it - I read a reference to it regarding world war two aircrew evasion kits. it was packed in a tin along with glucose and malted milk tablets.

did a search and all i got was this LOL

Bushcraft and Survival - Outdoors-Magazine.com
You will find in this section information about primitive or sport related ... liver toffee On20 August 2008, by crazydave, what the heck is it - I read a ...
outdoors-magazine.com/spip.php?rubrique7 - 60k - Cached

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE