Live free in Bulgaria ( For a spell at least.. )

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Just came across this whilst trawling a few of my fave sites.

May be of interest to someone that desires a break from the rat race at low cost.

http://www.greenshifters.co.uk/for_rent/2277_3_Bed_House_Free_Rental_Opportunity

"Hi there, we recently were given this beautiful Bulgarian home, which comes with an abundance of land, fruit trees, grape vines, animal sheds and wondrous things, however, we are not able to live in it yet, and probably not for at least a year or two, and wanted to offer it out to anyone who may be interested in living there, in exchange for taking care of the property and garden.

The house is a cob and timber build with concrete render, a mixture of old and new buildings, all constructed by the family who gave it to us.

We recently cleared it out, and it is a empty but clean shell of a building with wooden floors, and chimneys ready for wood burners. it has a cob oven in the kitchen, running water, has kitchen tables and a sofa bed. Loads of animal sheds, ready to go. Electric is running, it has an alarm system and water is running also. Internet is easily obtainable. Has a compost toilet, no shower or bath, but this is something we can easily sort out.

The house is at the edge of the village and close to the river Yantra. Good for swimming and fishing.

Bulgaria is a wonderful country, so bio diverse and full of beautiful countryside and folk. Karanci is a lovely village, has two shops and a small cafe, 10 mins cycle from Polski Trambesh, which has everything you need, and from which you can get to the beautiful ancient city of Veliko Tarnovo in 40 mins, via car or bus. Polski Trambesh also has a train station which links up to Sofia, Istanbul and Bucharest.

We are open to suggestions and ideas you may have. A wonderful place to keep animals, grow food, and make artwork or music, please get in touch if you would be interested in living at our Karanci Ranch.. for a short while or longer.

It is indeed a project house, and we are looking for anyone interested in living off the land, in a sustainable way to take care of this wonderful house for us.

The only payment we would require, is to cover your bills: £20 a month, alarm £5 a month, water and elec is about £20 a month also.

Please email me at mikepowuk@yahoo.co.uk with a bit about yourself and what you would like to do with the house, if you are interested thanks "

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
So they want someone to move in, Maintain the property, Get some sort of free holding together. Pay £45 a month for the privilege then leave when they ask you. Sounds like a plan, where do i sign.
Bulgaria is nice, but not that nice. I dont know who this would suit, you would need to have no ties whatsoever. Maybe a Bulgarian would do it.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I think it would suit someone contemplating moving country - if they had a house in the UK they could rent it out while living in Bulgaria for a bit, seeing if they wanted to make the move permanent.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
I think it would suit someone contemplating moving country - if they had a house in the UK they could rent it out while living in Bulgaria for a bit, seeing if they wanted to make the move permanent.
Possibly.
Lot of Hard work for someone else's benefit though. I dont think i could invest 2 years of my graft. Building up someone elses property then start all over again, but as you say, renting out your own home here for a couple of years and moving into this property just to see if it's what you expected could be a good idea for the right person.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Possibly.
Lot of Hard work for someone else's benefit though. I dont think i could invest 2 years of my graft. Building up someone elses property then start all over again, but as you say, renting out your own home here for a couple of years and moving into this property just to see if it's what you expected could be a good idea for the right person.

Then don't.
But understand that other people will see this as an option to experience a change of life or to just take a battery recharge in a different country without a commitment to purchase and move.

Limited thinking.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Not a good deal if you ask me. Give up your life to start this, then have to give up that on someone else's whim, to have to start over again. Not much opportunity to make and save money while living there, ready for the guaranteed eviction.

Fools errand if you ask me. Unless you're already homeless.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
If I didn't have a wife, kids, house, job, and a whole load of pets I'd have packed my bags by now... just for the chance to go on a jolly and have a laugh.

They don't seem to say anything about setting up a small holding for them - just to look after the place, so perhaps make sure it's warm so the property doesn't get damp, rotten and fall down and perhaps do a spot of gardening.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
If I didn't have a wife, kids, house, job, and a whole load of pets I'd have packed my bags by now... just for the chance to go on a jolly and have a laugh.

They don't seem to say anything about setting up a small holding for them - just to look after the place, so perhaps make sure it's warm so the property doesn't get damp, rotten and fall down and perhaps do a spot of gardening.

Exactly , spot on.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
The way I read it is its the opportunity to spend a couple of years living for next to nothing doing something you want to do... keep some animals, grow some veg... and who is to say you couldn't earn a few quid raising those animals for slaughter or dairy produce... anything really.

Wouldn't suit me as I have family ties and the kids are all still in school, but damn, if I was young, free and single... its an opportunity to live the good life for next to nothing for a couple of years. I'd be out there like a shot just for the experience of it.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Animals cost a good amount to both buy and raise. You'll soon find "living a life for next to nothing" will become rather expensive.:)

The way I read it is its the opportunity to spend a couple of years living for next to nothing doing something you want to do... keep some animals, grow some veg... and who is to say you couldn't earn a few quid raising those animals for slaughter or dairy produce... anything really.

Wouldn't suit me as I have family ties and the kids are all still in school, but damn, if I was young, free and single... its an opportunity to live the good life for next to nothing for a couple of years. I'd be out there like a shot just for the experience of it.

Ed the Ted

Forager
Dec 13, 2013
Scotland
Then don't.
But understand that other people will see this as an option to experience a change of life or to just take a battery recharge in a different country without a commitment to purchase and move.

Limited thinking.

Amen. I do something not a million miles from this in a forest the highlands. The noise of the quickly listed negatives fades away rather fast when I have a tea break in front of a crackling fire or ride my bike through forest, moor and mountain. Due south from where I currently live there's 100 meters of tarmac, then 30 miles of forest and hills till you get to the next bit.

Ye can keep ye mortgage, ta.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Animals cost a good amount to both buy and raise. You'll soon find "living a life for next to nothing" will become rather expensive.:)

Erm... okay... not entirely sure of your logic with that but I'll take your word for it.

Anyone wanting to take up the offer better take plenty of carrot and turnip seeds... they can make a fortune by producing animal feed! :D

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
The proposal is an interesting one. They seem to be looking for a house sitter, do house sitters usually pay for the privilege or do they normally get paid? Dunno. If they require more than house sitting, such as work on the house or the development of a smallholding it might not be so attractive, but they don't actually say that. But I suppose it depends on how you look at it. If you are already looking out for a place to rent in Bulgaria where you can grow veg and keep half-a-dozen hens for a year or two then it's probably ideal. The land is only just over a quarter of an acre so there probably isn't much room for animals. It is also unlikely that you could make any money from veg or eggs as in these rural towns, most people grow their own anyway and you may find neighbours coming round with free veg when they've got a glut (I read this on the expat-in-Bulgaria forums). It's still quite an agrarian country. The other thing to bear in mind is that winters can be very cold in that location, so how well the house is insulated and how it is heated would be something to look at. I'm sure it will suit someone who is looking at a move to Bulgaria and who isn't tied to a family or job in the UK, or a couple taking a year out and who don't mind roughing it a bit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE