little trip up the south downs with peter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
hey all, on good friday me and fellow BCUK member peter headed up the south downs from wannock for a little over nighter.

it was my first time using a hammock so i was a bit apprehensive about the nights sleeping, but i ended up loving the hammock, although i have decided that i need a couple of new bits of kit for it,
i.e. new karabinas, not ones from poundland:

100_0071.jpg

we saw a couple of interesting beetles:

100_0067.jpg

100_0089.jpg

not quite sure if that one counts as a beetle or not.

actually saw alot more beetles than just those two but they are the only one i got pictures of.

found some dryads saddle:

100_0081.jpg

100_0080.jpg

100_0079.jpg

after our discovery of this interesting fungi i did some research one my blackberry (its bushcrafty cause its named after a will fruit) and found out that it is edible, but only desirable when its young, luckily i found a couple of the little ones under the tree trunks, they were yummy, kinda like melon but sourer.

here are the pics of us heading in:

100_0063.jpg

100_0064.jpg

our first rest site was lovely but on a hill so steep it was nearly a cliff, so we didnt stay the night there.

100_0075.jpg

teh view downhill from my hammock

100_0076.jpg

the view uphill from my hammock

100_0078.jpg

the view straight up from my hammock, nice bit of sycamore :)

100_0072.jpg

pete having made a pot of tea at first site.

after some very close calls with gravity we decided to stumble downhill from our first site to an interesting little copse at the bottom.

100_0092.jpg

100_0091.jpg

our camp at the second and final site, my hammock and peters floor (was a bit woried about falling out and landing on him :p

100_0082.jpg

one last pic just cause i know i shouldnt, peter in the morning:

100_0083.jpg

i suppose i should warn you all, this thread is pic heavy :p

hope you enjoy the pics, this was my first time photoing our outing so they arent great, missed some good opportunitys just cause i forgot i had the camera with me.

ATB,
TJ

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Looks like a good trip. The second beetle looks like a longhorn beetle to me. Nice. I don't see them as often as I'd like to. First one is a dung beetle.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Glad you liked the hammock, they get a bit of getting used to but are such a nice way to wake up in the morning and see the woods coming alive around you. I would efinatly get some proper climbing crabs & make sure that the webbing is good, as I had some ebay webbing break on me; falling to the ground is something you only want to do once, especially when you are leaning back while enjoying a cup of tea at the time....

Looks like a nice spot you found yoursekf there. Was that over Eastbourne way?

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Great pics.

The black beetle is probably a Dor beetle and the Longhorns are often just named scientifically i.e Latin names.

I'm not near my library at the mo' so hopefully someone who knows their insects will correct me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE