Linen-Backed Flatbow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
My good friend had a delivery of timber from a woodmill...Scrap oak planks for fuel. I took one look and rescued half a dozen potential bows. this is the first and made as a gift for my friend.

70" N to N. 1 3/4" at fades narrowing to 1/2" at Nocks. Handle, leather borrowed from an old coat and finished with braid. The whole is backed with linen and draws 45# at 28" using a string I made from linen threads supplied by a very helpful scots lady :You_Rock_ (I haven't forgotten, and will feed back in good time, now that the nights are drawing in I'll be more industrious).

Unbraced showing linen backing
flatbow1.jpg

Braced
flatbow2.jpg

Handle
flatbowhandle.jpg

Haven't managed to get a full draw pic yet, it was late when I finished ;ast night, but will post later when I get a chance...

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Really nice bow mate. Did you chase a growth ring?
I'm off into the garage later to glue up some oak board billets. Mine will end up 68" but I'll get it 2" wide. I'm probably going to linen back it. I'm tempted to try salmon skin on it but I'm not sure it'll hold up to a board bow. Plus I'm getting low on skins and as I don't chef anymore I can't get hold of them now.
Mine will probably be pyramidal, but I'm tempted to go for a holmgard style as I've never tried that.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
stovie said:
No. Hence the length and backing. The wood did not lend itself to following a ring. Edge on...But she's holding...
Sould be OK at that length and draw weight.
My board is edge grain too, it gives me hope that it will survive.

seany boy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2006
Lincolnshire
Hi Stovie
the bow looks great, i have recently taken up archery and have found a local club http://www.friskneybowmen.co.uk/ ,great bunch of people very enthusiastic and helpful,i have yet to buy any gear but would love to have a go at making a bow some day. Would like to have a go at Field Archery , do you shoot at a club or take part in Field Archery at all? One of the guys at the club let me have a go with his longbow the other week,up until then i'd only used the clubs recurve bows,wow so different, definitely the way i want to go. Didn't realize archery was going to so addictive. Anyway must get off to bed,(been on nights) all the best. Sean.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
stovie said:
Very low set, Leon, and it shoots fast.

Wish I owned a chrono just on one occasion to actually measure arrow speed.
thanks
thats a lovely looking bow there mate
leon

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
seany boy said:
Hi Stovie
the bow looks great, i have recently taken up archery ........Would like to have a go at Field Archery , do you shoot at a club or take part in Field Archery at all? .

Hi Sean

I am not a big club fan, prefer one or two people roving across the fields outshooting each other...not that there is anything wrong with clubs, it's just not for me....

working on this ELB at the moment...got nice grain
DSCF4139copy.jpg

this is it's shape to date
DSCF4135copy.jpg

This one's for my brother-in-law.....

seany boy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2006
Lincolnshire
Hi Stovie
Like the sound of the roving with a couple of mates,guess i'll have to wait untill i've got my own gear and have a go (christmas is coming) just leaves the finding some mates :eek: :D Like the look of the new bow, got anymore sister's? :D All the best.Sean.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
bent-stick said:
Hi Stovie,
what's the wood in the elb. It looks very pretty. Is it a self bow or are you backing it.

It's the best of the Oak (so far) saved from the fire. I'm hoping to keep it free from backing....but depends on how it tillers...

I think my wife is out tonite, so should get some more work done on it

bowarrow.gif

woodmunky

Forager
Oct 3, 2006
Surrey
Hi... i've just joined this forum and have recently been on a bow making course and made myself an american flatbow (Walnut with an Ash backing and pyramid taper)

I'm currently sanding it down and finishing it off... but was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on preserving the Bow? They mentioned Linseed Oil and then adding some kind of wax, buty sadly i was a bit late when i finished my bow... so didn't get around to the oiling/waxing proccess :(

Any advice would be extremely helpful to me, as i have further staves and plan to make more Bows :D

Cheers!

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
There are those that will tell you that linseed oil will take all the strength out of the bow. I don't think it does but experienced bowyers of my acquaintance can get quite heated about it ;) If you are going to use it get _Boiled_ linseed oil the raw stuff will leave a nasty sticky finish. You can get rid of that by wiping with turps.

Personally I give my bows about 5 coats of danish oil. The first coats are put on with a cloth that has been dipped in turps (real turps - not white spirit) to help absorbtion. Then I finish them with another 5 coats of liberon black bison wax applied with 000 grade wire wool and polished with a yellow duster - beeswax polish is too much like hard work. :)

The finish is not as glossy or deep as varnish but it doesn't crackle with time and exposure. If the bow gets wet a polish with a duster will usually remove the water marks. If it doesn't another coat of polish does.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE