Linen-Backed Flatbow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woodmunky

Forager
Oct 3, 2006
Surrey
Thank you for your advice Stovie! Will certainly be giving that a go :)

p.s this is a great forum! Do you get the magazine? what's it like?

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
Hi Woodmonkey
Longbow made on Bowmaking course out of ash and walnut sounds familiar, was it the Woodcraft School course. If so I was there with you I made my bow out of Wych Elm it was a superb course. As regards finishing the bow I have since been told that if using wire wool on Ash it can pick up discolouration from the wool and stain the Ash. I have been advised to get one of the fine nylon type sanding pads from a DIY shop to use on Ash.
I finished my Flatbow of with a couple of coats of liberon wax and it looks really good
Charlie

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I've had no problem with boilled linseed oil and Tim Baker uses it and I don't think anyone in the world know more about bow performance.
Another option is Tru oil. It's a gunstock finish. It's quite hard to find and pricey, but goes a long way and gives a tough finish.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
stovie said:
It's the best of the Oak (so far) saved from the fire. I'm hoping to keep it free from backing....but depends on how it tillers...

I think my wife is out tonite, so should get some more work done on it

bowarrow.gif
I found someone in the UK who'll sell deer rawhide in 36"x2"strips is you want a more natural backing, haven't received mine yet but I'll let you know what it's like as I plan to use it on my oak flatbow.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Cheers Snufkin! I'd certainly be interested to hear what it's like.

Time to crack on, me thinks....pretty much floor tillered....gently does it now...

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Well the deerskin rawhide strips I ordered at the weekend turned up today, they look good, nice and thin. I'll probably glue them on tomorrow. here's the address. He has other nice stuff too.

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Nice bow, certainly rather better looking than the bamboo bundle longbow I've made this afternoon but then again I guess it took rather more wrkk to make :rolleyes:

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Snufkin said:
Well the deerskin rawhide strips I ordered at the weekend turned up today, they look good, nice and thin. I'll probably glue them on tomorrow. here's the address. He has other nice stuff too.

Cheers Snufkin. just got back from Paris...will take a look at the link when i get a sec... :D

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
stovie said:
Cheers Snufkin. just got back from Paris...will take a look at the link when i get a sec... :D
I've not had a chance to glue them up yet as I'm busy knifemaking at the moment. Might get time next week to do some bowyering.

woodmunky

Forager
Oct 3, 2006
Surrey
chas brookes said:
Hi Woodmonkey
Longbow made on Bowmaking course out of ash and walnut sounds familiar, was it the Woodcraft School course. If so I was there with you I made my bow out of Wych Elm it was a superb course. As regards finishing the bow I have since been told that if using wire wool on Ash it can pick up discolouration from the wool and stain the Ash. I have been advised to get one of the fine nylon type sanding pads from a DIY shop to use on Ash.
I finished my Flatbow of with a couple of coats of liberon wax and it looks really good
Charlie

Hi charlie! Yea that was the one! And i do remember you making a very nice Wych Elm bow :You_Rock_

Gonan go buy oneof those nylon pads today and get started on finishing it off :)

Got an extra stave from them... gonna try the longbow next!

Steve

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
woodmunky said:
Hi charlie! Yea that was the one! And i do remember you making a very nice Wych Elm bow :You_Rock_

Gonan go buy oneof those nylon pads today and get started on finishing it off :)

Got an extra stave from them... gonna try the longbow next!

Steve

Hi Steve
I am also going to contact John for another stave, and try for a longbow this time.
The wych elm bow is shooting well, however the archer is having a problem with his aim but i can not blame the bow for that.
I am about to fit a leather grip on the bow to finish it off.
Several members of the club would like to make their own bow now,and I have given them John's details.
I hope you have fun making your longbow it is a good project for these dark evenings
Let me know how you get on

Charlie :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE