TOPS D.A.R.T. (in S30V)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
The D.A.R.T. is a TOPS knife that first caught my eye a few years ago. I liked the over-all design right off the bat. It combines elements of two of my favorite blade designs: the kukri, and the barong. At that time I didn't know all that much about S30V steel so I had to read up on it some and get some practical experience with it. I liked what I read about its great corrosion resistance since I live in a very wet environment, and I like what I read about its great edge retention, I liked a lot of what I heard about it from some with personal experience and I liked what I saw of a couple of smaller knives made of S30V in use. So....

DSC_0577.jpg

DSC_0583.jpg

The Specs as taken from the TOPS website:

Blade Length:..........7.0"
O/A Length:............12 3/4"
Cutting Edge:..........6 1/2"
Thickness:.............3/16"
Blade Color:...........Black Traction Coating
Steel:.................S30V - RC 60
Handle Material:.......Black Linen Micarta®
Blade Weight:..........0.95lbs
Sheath:................Combat Ballistic Nylon
Heat Treating by:......Paul Bos

Handcrafted in the USA,

The D.A.R.T., which by the way stands for: Direct Action Rescue Tool, has a re-curved blade with a type of hybrid grind that is steeper near the handle for strength and higher and shallower near the tip for good slicing.

DSC_0569.jpg

It comes in a molle-backed ballistic nylon sheath.

DSC_0572.jpg

DSC_0575.jpg

The handle scales are black linen micarta. The scales on this one finished with TOPS Rocky Mountain Tread for enhanced grip under muddy or other slippery conditions. The knife can be gotten with the smoother handle scales, but I have been spending a lot of time in swamps and river bottoms lately.

DSC_0596.jpg

The extended tang serves as both a lanyard ring and as a surface to strike with, but it is not sharpened so there is little chance of the user injuring themselves while carrying the knife.

DSC_0594.jpg

Some in hand shots in various grips.

DSC_0323.jpg

DSC_0321.jpg

DSC_0318.jpg

DSC_0319.jpg

DSC_0324.jpg

The knife came with a very sharp edge, and I found it easy to control when whittling.

DSC_0295.jpg

DSC_0296.jpg

DSC_0297.jpg

I had no problems chopping heavier pieces of bamboo

DSC_0274.jpg

And the re-curved blade also worked well as a draw knife.

DSC_0273.jpg

DSC_0271.jpg

and it easily cut through smaller limbs in one clean cut.

DSC_0315.jpg

For a little chopping I chose some seasoned hickory. The RMT scales can be a little rough on bare hands if you're not used to it, but I didn't experience any real hot spots or get any blisters. If not intended for extreme outdoor or military applications the smooth scales may be a better option for the sportsman. In chopping the thinner edge out at the sweet spot near the tip bit in very well.

DSC_0300.jpg

DSC_0301.jpg

DSC_0308.jpg

DSC_0309.jpg

DSC_0310.jpg

So far no damage to the blade and it would still shave arm hair in that spot even after the chopping in the bamboo and hickory.

DSC_0375.jpg

DSC_0314.jpg

Later I used the knife to chop a hard seasoned sycamore limb into manageable pieces, and then used a baton to split some kindling

IMG_5860.jpg

IMG_5943.jpg

IMG_5944.jpg

IMG_5946.jpg

IMG_5947.jpg

IMG_5949.jpg

IMG_5951.jpg

IMG_5952.jpg

IMG_5953.jpg

IMG_5955.jpg

IMG_5956.jpg

You can see that the coating is finally starting to wear, but even the area of the blade that has had the most wear is still sharp enough to whittle some nice curls. The S30V is showing itself to be very durable and holding a good edge. Now that the coating is getting worn I think I will be stripping it soon, and JRE makes a nice leather dangler sheath for it that I want to get.

IMG_5959.jpg

IMG_5954.jpg

Sorry, the one time I have had the handle really good and muddy I was muddy enough, and it was raining hard enough that I didn't want to take the camera out of the pack. I was glad I got the RMT handles though. I think having this knife paired up with a smaller knife like the TOPS Mohawk Hunter, the Fiddleback K.E. Bushie, or even a good neck knife or SAK, gives me a lot of capability in the field yet not weighted down and still highly mobile which works out well for me

Yeah yeah, I know, too tactical looking for most of the guys here...for now anyway. But it is a really efficient woods tool for a knife with seven inch blade, and it handles really well. It'll look totally different once I strip it and buy, or make, a leather sheath for it. I'm really liking the looks of this, but not sure I want it to sit that deep.

http://www.jreindustries.com/SHEATHS/Tops/ziyadtops1.JPG

http://www.jreindustries.com/SHEATHS/Tops/ziyadtops3.JPG

http://www.jreindustries.com/SHEATHS/Tops/ziyadtops2.JPG

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Thanks for the review Mistwalker, i like that look of that a lot and you've taken some great pis of what you got up to with it. I like the shape of it and it doesn't seem overly heavy for the size...thanks for posting goodjob

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
a good read and cracking pictures as with all your reviews ,...

you should be a salesman!!

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
good thorough review. i like how you actually sacrificed arm hair rather than have us take your word for it!

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
I'm trying to work out whether it's a big small knife or a small big knife :)

Looks like a very versatile tool, and Paul Bos is a heat treating legend so no worries there.

I'm a big fan of kukri knives and you can definitely see some marked similarities.

Thanks for the review :)

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

Looks like a very versatile tool, and Paul Bos is a heat treating legend so no worries there.

I'm a big fan of kukri knives and you can definitely see some marked similarities.

I've just ordered 6 khukris from KHHI as part of a little GB action , I'll have to remember to stick up some photo's.

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
Thanks MW, now there's another sharp to add to the "knives I need" list!

Great review as always. It's good to see some of the TOPS Black Kool Aid getting about too. I don't like all of their designs, but I think I may need to invest in some of their more accessible knives.

Claudiasboris

Thanks for the review Mistwalker, i like that look of that a lot and you've taken some great pis of what you got up to with it. I like the shape of it and it doesn't seem overly heavy for the size...thanks for posting goodjob

Thanks Tone, the shape suits me very well and it functions really well in my uses. With it only having a 7/18cm inch blade it takes less space than my 12"/30cm machete (blade measurement) but gives me a heavier blade for rougher work still without being very heavy.

That is one nice blade, looks very comfortable in the hand. Would like to try one of those myself. Thanks for the review.

Thank you, glad you liked the post. It has a really comfortable feel in hand as far as shape and balance. Just blade heavy enough to chop well for a knife this size. If I didn't live in such a wet environment I would have gotten the smoother scales. I have TOPS knives with both type scales and the smoother ones are more comfortable to a bare hand in long term use.

Your reviews are becoming dangerous to read, very good review many thanks, Just out of interest what do you think of the TOPS Hellion knives?

Dave.

Hmmm, dangerous...not sure that's good lol. Thanks Dave, glad you enjoyed it. The Hellion was actually one of the first knives I was assigned to test and write about for Harris Publications (Tactical Knives) that was published about a year or so ago, and I still have that one. I'll try to get some pics up...just didn't figure it would be of much interest here. It is definitely a unique design that takes a little getting used to, but it works well for its intended uses. With all straight edges the field maintenance has been simplified for long term bush time, easy to sharpen. It is a weight forward design that chops well. The saw, as with all TOPS saws, does well without being dangerous to the hand in a pinch grip and it can be used as a draw knife as long as you watch that secondary edge on the top of the spine and put the pressure of the weak hand on the saw teeth. I wouldn't have any trouble at all functioning with it as a primary tool in the bush, and even though I would prefer to team it with a smaller tool I could get by without it.

a good read and cracking pictures as with all your reviews ,...

you should be a salesman!!

Thank you, I am glad you like the reviews. Not sure about being a salesman...never fared well in sales...but I do test, photograph, and write about knives and other edged tools in a professional capacity.

good thorough review. i like how you actually sacrificed arm hair rather than have us take your word for it!

Thank you. Yeah...my arms spend a lot of their time bald...

Lol, I see it as a big small knife :) Definitely a very versatile tool, and yes I have yet to run across a bad heat treat from Paul Bos. I have always been a Kukri fan too. I always wanted one with a little less angle and just assumed i was going to have to have one made or make it myself. Now I'm thinking this one is a close as I will get without having to make it...and I'm happy enough with this knife not to worry about that for some time.

Thank you, glad you enjoyed the post.

Thanks for sharing, the review was thorough, & good pics.

Rob

Thanks Rob, I'm glad you liked it. I have been working on a bamboo project with it when I have time...in the middle of several work related projects right now...and the more I use the knife, the more I like it. I'll have more pics to post later on.

I've just ordered 6 khukris from KHHI as part of a little GB action , I'll have to remember to stick up some photo's.

A long time friend and neighbor (over 20 years) has a collection of Kukris he brought back from Nepal when he was in the military in his younger days, he's 72 now I think. I have borrowed a few of the smaller ones to study here and there but I can't talk him into selling any of them.

I have always been a Kukri fan, so yes I hope you remember to post pics when you get them.

Thanks for all the kind words fellas. It was so quiet there at first that I saw no one was seeing what I was seeing in this knife. I can easily see it stripped and in a leather sheath (so I don't have to deal with retention straps...not a soldier), and I really like what I see. I need to get to the hardware store and find the right stripper. Now that I have worn so much of the coating off I think it should be pretty easy and will look better.

Brian

Last edited:
Thanks MW, now there's another sharp to add to the "knives I need" list!

Great review as always. It's good to see some of the TOPS Black Kool Aid getting about too. I don't like all of their designs, but I think I may need to invest in some of their more accessible knives.

Claudiasboris

Thanks Claudias. I'm glad you enjoyed it. It has been on my "need" list for three years. I'm really hoping they do a run of these in 1095, I think more people might try it out then with a steel they are more familiar with and I assume at a lower cost.

Oh, I am a major TOPS fan, they are one of my favorite knife companies in the world, if not the favorite, and I don't even like all of their designs....but I do like many of them. Their heat treats and fit and finish have always impressed me. We are all different with different likes and needs though, so I am glad for their diversity. It shows an open mind, and I am a major fan of that as well.

Great Review! - and an interesting looking knife. It looks like it would be a good contender in the "If you could only take one blade with you..." category.

When you say "tactical" I think most people think of the saw backed, hollow handle, foot long, "mean looking weapon" type of thing. This one looks like it has been designed by a user trying to make a practical all round knife (the deep choil on a longer blade is an excellent feature for example). I would lose the coating though and leave it as a natural dull finish.

I have an S30V blade on my Leatherman and it has excellent edge retention (although I'm not looking forward to sharpening it - diamond stone and hone job methinks - it would eat water stones!). Is it me or have they got the grind the wrong way round? I would use the belly for rough work like chopping - and would therefore want a steeper or convex grind - whilst the choil end would be for fine work and would need to be a shallower Scandi stylee - oh and perhaps finer nearer the tip as well for skinning. That's the problem with an all rounder - it needs multi grinds and you can't please everyone!

Great Review! - and an interesting looking knife. It looks like it would be a good contender in the "If you could only take one blade with you..." category.

When you say "tactical" I think most people think of the saw backed, hollow handle, foot long, "mean looking weapon" type of thing. This one looks like it has been designed by a user trying to make a practical all round knife (the deep choil on a longer blade is an excellent feature for example). I would lose the coating though and leave it as a natural dull finish.

I have an S30V blade on my Leatherman and it has excellent edge retention (although I'm not looking forward to sharpening it - diamond stone and hone job methinks - it would eat water stones!). Is it me or have they got the grind the wrong way round? I would use the belly for rough work like chopping - and would therefore want a steeper or convex grind - whilst the choil end would be for fine work and would need to be a shallower Scandi stylee - oh and perhaps finer nearer the tip as well for skinning. That's the problem with an all rounder - it needs multi grinds and you can't please everyone!

Thank you. I thought so to when I first saw the knife, and think so even more now that I have put it through a few paces.

Yes, I know what you mean. I am really happy with the results with this knife, but I am more used to seeing hybrid grinds with the heavier grind as the forward grind.

I understand what you are saying, but a lot of people see coated blades and automatically think tactical no matter the design features of blade geometry. Personally I like the idea of some saw-backed knives for long-term survival applications. The SOG "Teamleader-Survivor" is a good one and different than the original Teamleader because of the very sharp, non-directional saw on the back that I have used to cut everything from bamboo and hickory to 2" schedule 40 PVC. But for whatever reason when I think "tactical" I think something I'd want on me in a fight. To my thinking saw spines would just create resistance and drag during penetration and extrication in a fight drastically reducing efficiency. I think serrations would be a better option for aggressive cutting on a knife made for combat. When I think tactical I think something along these lines.

DSC_0822.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE