limited kit and blanket backpack(pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
Like everyone else, great post. Thanks for taking the time.

It's a pity we don't have some kind of rec system so that posts like this would bubble to the top. I'm glad it didn't slip under my radar.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Great post, and it's given me a few good ideas of what to do with the 27 army wool blankets I have just got my hands on!:)
I especially like the wool smock you have made!!!!:cool:
Now I just need to sweet talk the wife's aunt (who's a seamstress into sewing it all up for me;) )

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
As everyone says a really great post. This is the sort of thing we all dream about but you have actually got off your butt and done it. Magic. and inspirational.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I believe that method of packing was traditionally known as a Hudson Bay Pack (when I was a lad) as it was the favoured way of carrying kit before 80L rucksacks became popular with bushcrafters.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
Quote:
Originally Posted by British Red View Post
Now thats what I call a post.

Actually thats probably one of the best posts in many a month

Red
seconded. Well done, wish i had the testicular fortitude and locations to wild camp like you have. Excellent post.

DITO!!
So everytime Stuart takes to the woods, you hear the noise those big brass b*****ks of his will make.
Excellent attitude!

Jacko

Life Member
Aug 3, 2004
SHROPSHIRE
To echo all replys here a real quality post indeed, well done and an inspiration to get out in all weathers!
Top man!! :notworthy

:You_Rock_

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi Folks,sorry i,ve not replied earlier as i was on holiday all last week and when i got back from there i was off to Morch,s for his meet up and only got back yesterday.

Anyway too answer some questions.

Wayland, Did you treat the cover in any way?

Hi Gary,i haven't bothered to proof the blanket as i carry my poncho with me,my thinking was that if it poured with rain and it managed to get through a shelter i would just pull the poncho over the blanket to keep dry,but we will see.

Bushcraftbob, How did you secure the long log to the oak tree did you use the paracord?

Hi Bob,yeah thats about it i just used the paracord to secure the branch to the tree,if you look closely at the first picture of the shelter you can see the cord wrapped around the tree.

Spamel, Nice one! More details on the blanket shirt please, it looks very nice.

Hi Spam,the blanket shirt was made awhile ago,i was given the blanket as a gift by Craigm9 a couple of years back,the design is simple enough, i didn't have a pattern, i should say we as it was the missus again who did all the work :rolleyes: :naughty:.All i did was fold the blanket in half ,then at the centre of the folded line i cut a slit then slipped it on,what you have then is basicly a poncho Clint Eastwood for a few dollars more stylie "Yup a reckin so" :eek: sorry. Anyway i just outstretched my arms to the side and got the missus to pin it to my shape, allowing a good bit of room for layering underneath.There are only two seams which run from your wrist on down to your waist,under arm,once sewn up i got her to stick a hand warmer pocket on the front with the waste material.

I hope that makes sense.

Again thanks for the comments Cheers Stuart.

webbie

Forager
Jan 1, 1970
scotland
nice simple plan for the shirt, a new bcuk trend :) just speak nice to a few sewers i know and try steal the idea, shamelessly :)

and just to echo the aboce comments a great thread

Excellent thread. I'm going to get my hands on a wool blanket just as soon as I've got a few spare pennies. I'd love to start doing no-sleeping-bag camping. I saw an interesting video on using a wool blanket as a hooded coat - seeing this makes them seem even more versatile.

The backpack is inspired and I love the smock/shirt.
My girlfriend got a sewing machine not too long ago - I think I've got a new project for her! Haha.

Thanks for sharing this. So much useful info in there!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE