Limited Canned Goods.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Much as I love tinned chick peas for ease of use, they take up a lot of room, so I'd opt for dried, as they can then be sprouted too.
The water you cook them in can be used instead of egg white.
My tinned goods cupboard holds
Sweetcorn
Peas and carrots mixed together.
Corned beef
Tuna
Tinned milk. Of three kinds Including coconut milk, condensed and evaporated.
I also have tinned fruit, so that's six,
I couldn't go any less.
Add in the dried
chick peas
Potato's
Gluten free pasta
Rice
Condiments, :salt pepper, vinegar, stock pots
sugar,
honey,
marmite (or bovril, )
peanut butter
Mixed herbs and paprika, nutmeg cloves, ginger, cinnamon.

As you can see, I don't have a small cupboard!

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Canned goods - the regular cylinder sized cans that supermarkets store renowned for their long stable storage shelf life are a staple of most of our kitchen cupboard. They cover a multitude of food types and their fungible size make storage easy to pack and store.

One thing that annoys me with the standard cans is some don't stack well, some have a base that fits into the top of a similar can which makes stacking easy, some don't.

Looking at our pantry we would have:

Chickpeas, very useful vegan ingredient or almost a complete meal.
Evaporated milk (actually small cans), condensed milk would be more for emergency use but we use evap milk so I'll stick with that.
Tomato soup, again we use that but for emergency use I'd pick a veg soup.
Veg curry, not found a decent recently but have in the past and it makes a simple meal.
Tinned rice or canned fruit, we use fruit canned in juice but for emergency use I'd pick one in a sugar syrup.

Non-canned stuff I'd go for peanut butter.

Reactions: TeeDee

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
The ones I do store are:

Tuna
Baked beans
Beans & sausages
Chopped tomatoes
Corned beef

I would rank baked beans and rice as the most miserable meal I've ever eaten.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I agree, it's easy to find good protein sources in cans, but TeeDee specifically said 'carbs' but didn't mention protein - we need about 30% protein intake. It made it sound like I could just use the cans as carb and mineral sources and get my proteins from other sources.
:)

?????

You've got me really confuddled now - where have i used the word 'Carbs' ??

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Stir fry some veggies cut small, stir the cooked rice through it, season well.....
Baked beans ? Hmmmm :( better mashed up and seasoned with smoked paprika and served with tortilla chips and grated cheddar >

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You can buy 'meal in a can' type ones. Layers of peas, meat, potatoes, etc.,
Himself was going up to Skye to do some camping/climbing and he spotted the cans in the supermarket.
Not a good idea :yuck: he reckoned even a dog would struggle to eat that for dinner.
Shame really, it'd have been a handy all in one kind of thing.

Haggis though (and vegetarian haggis is very good) that's a meal in itself. Not just meat, but grains and a bit of veg too.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I think I am asking for 5 to see if there is a commonality. Easier to spot if the variables are limited.

Reactions: Toddy

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I think I took things a bit to literally and was trying to find a balanced diet just in cans. If the cans are on top of dried food, I agree, things like chickpeas and beans would be better dried which allows a wider meat and fish choice.

Haggis is good (I love it, but I haven't found a canned one I like - can you recommend one @Toddy?) - however, it only has 11g of protein to 21g of fat per 100g :( Advice varies, but I understand a balanced diet is nearer 40% protein, 40% carbs and 20% fat (depending on your metabolic rate, weight, amount of exercise etc.).

I still think, for menu variety, I'd go for basic canned produce that, combined with spices and sauces, could make a number of different meals. As a poor student I used pilchards a lot - pilchard curry, pilchard bolognaise, even fish pie with .... pilchards :)

I'm going to revisit my list. Perhaps a supporting list of 5 dried foods as well would enable a clearer 'menu' structure :)

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I think I took things a bit to literally and was trying to find a balanced diet just in cans. If the cans are on top of dried food, I agree, things like chickpeas and beans would be better dried which allows a wider meat and fish choice.

Haggis is good (I love it, but I haven't found a canned one I like - can you recommend one @Toddy?) - however, it only has 11g of protein to 21g of fat per 100g :( Advice varies, but I understand a balanced diet is nearer 40% protein, 40% carbs and 20% fat (depending on your metabolic rate, weight, amount of exercise etc.).

I still think, for menu variety, I'd go for basic canned produce that, combined with spices and sauces, could make a number of different meals. As a poor student I used pilchards a lot - pilchard curry, pilchard bolognaise, even fish pie with .... pilchards :)

I'm going to revisit my list. Perhaps a supporting list of 5 dried foods as well would enable a clearer 'menu' structure :)

I'd be happy if you wanted to run with the idea- I felt in posing the question it could be potentially too intimidating to plan out a whole emergency pantry.

I think the basic gist of what I'm aiming for is could one build an emergency food storage out of say 20 cans or so that would provide some allowance for menu variation and combination but still covering all the main needs of macro nutrients and calorie requirement.
One could from a calorie point of view 'survive' off of a can of Ghee or Peanut butter but it would be highly unpleasurable.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I'd be happy if you wanted to run with the idea- I felt in posing the question it could be potentially too intimidating to plan out a whole emergency pantry.

I think the basic gist of what I'm aiming for is could one build an emergency food storage out of say 20 cans or so that would provide some allowance for menu variation and combination but still covering all the main needs of macro nutrients and calorie requirement.
One could from a calorie point of view 'survive' off of a can of Ghee or Peanut butter but it would be highly unpleasurable.

Ah, I suppose timescale is an important factor - short, you're only really worried about calories; longer, and you have to think about protein, fats, fibre, minerals, and vitamins. So, if we're talking about a couple of weeks then, yes, I'd concentrate on calories, and meal and taste variety.

Can we have some bottles in the mix as well? :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
@Broch

Just looked in the pantry, and the tins are Grant's.
The label says that it has, per 100g (full tin is 392g and half a tin's enough for a meal unless you're really hungry )

Energy 210kcal
Fat 10.7g
Carbohydrate 16.9g
Protein 10.4g

I think that's okay.

The canned stuff is just lambs lobes, oatmeal, water, suet, onion, salt and spices.

Can't get much simpler than that, and not an msg anywhere in it either.

M

Reactions: Broch

marooned

Settler
Jul 25, 2010
Somerset
My 5 tins are:

Tomatoes (base for most sauces or soups)
Potatoes
Fish (prefer sardines but will choose pilchards for the standard tin)
Cannellini beans
Peas

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
As you specifically asked about cans, here's the current stock list for my mountain retreat, just the cans, sorted by number of cans, top six lines.

Yes there are six. The corned beef cans do stack well, but they aren't cylindrical so you can leave them out if you want to. :)

Baked beans260
Carrots72
Tomatoes56
Corned beef53
Garden peas30
Chicken curry24

Yes I'm partial to baked beans. No I don't get bent out of shape about nutrition and balance. There's also a lot of bottled stuff, a big heap of dried stuff and rat-pack style things and a chest freezer which looks a bit sparse at the moment. It's quite a job to keep the wild boar out of the orchard - they especially like the apricots - so if it came to it I'd cheerfully shoot one or two for the freezer.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
As you specifically asked about cans, here's the current stock list for my mountain retreat, just the cans, sorted by number of cans, top six lines.

Yes there are six. The corned beef cans do stack well, but they aren't cylindrical so you can leave them out if you want to. :)

Baked beans260
Carrots72
Tomatoes56
Corned beef53
Garden peas30
Chicken curry24

Yes I'm partial to baked beans. No I don't get bent out of shape about nutrition and balance. There's also a lot of bottled stuff, a big heap of dried stuff and rat-pack style things and a chest freezer which looks a bit sparse at the moment. It's quite a job to keep the wild boar out of the orchard - they especially like the apricots - so if it came to it I'd cheerfully shoot one or two for the freezer.

I've never quite understood WHY corn beef cans are the way they are ? Sure you can use the Key to open them but I'm sure cylinder cans could be done in the same way.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
They're not all that way. Princes sell a small can that's round, like a small Heinz baked bean can. I bought some in Sainsbury's last week.
Princes 130g corned beef, about a pound, iirc.
Himself says it's good, not topped and tailed with layers of fat.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
I've never quite understood WHY corn beef cans are the way they are ? Sure you can use the Key to open them but I'm sure cylinder cans could be done in the same way.
Probably something to do with slicing and fitting into sarnies made with sliced bread. Could be completely barking up the wrong tree though!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE