Limited Canned Goods.

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.
Yup, have a 23qt Presto, the old pre-induction one. Funny story (or maybe you had to be there) after years of trying to find one in the UK on eBay, I eventually tracked one down right here in Belfast. Bought it immediately and was negotiating collection in person with the seller when the eBay bot hit us with a 24 hour message ban for "trying to negotiate an off eBay sale" this despite the item being bought and paid for already. 10 minutes or so later, the seller appeared at my door, having walked the couple of hundred metres up the street!

I'd love a better pressure canner, an All American ideally (no seals to worry about) but the cost of importing from the States makes it unviable for my level of usage. Not to mention that the fact that their being refused by customs seems worryingly common.
The All American is a WMD, that's why :D Unfortunately, it's also not the kind of thing you can stick in your bag back from a trip to the states.

Look up Lovejars if you decide to get another canner at some point. The lady who runs it commissioned her own run of canners, it's similar to the Presto but a fair bit cheaper and apparently pretty good quality. I have the same as you, pretty happy with it other than not being the thickest gauge material and scratching quite easily. The All Americans looks the business, but we've never had any issues with the one we have tbh.
 
I just have an everyday prestige hi-top pressure cooker. It works fine :)
It does three 500ml jars at a time, or six 300ml ones. I can do the 900ml jars in it, but that's a lot.

Those smaller sizes work for meals. They're not huge, they're a decent portion.
I'm feeding a family of three adults. When I was feeding two adults and two children, the larger jars were useful for some things....apples for crumble, potatoes, soup, for instance, but I find they're too big for everyday stuff.
 
I just have an everyday prestige hi-top pressure cooker. It works fine :)
It does three 500ml jars at a time, or six 300ml ones. I can do the 900ml jars in it, but that's a lot.

Those smaller sizes work for meals. They're not huge, they're a decent portion.
I'm feeding a family of three adults. When I was feeding two adults and two children, the larger jars were useful for some things....apples for crumble, potatoes, soup, for instance, but I find they're too big for everyday stuff.
The big canner will use a bit more energy for sure, though the energy is also -to some extent- proportional to how much is inside it, as the most energy is used to bring it all up to temperature and then it just ticks over.

That said, I would love to have a smaller one, as I know what you mean. The one we have takes around 4 1.5lt jars, or up to 3 layers of 7 x 500ml jars, so it's a massive quantity, and it makes you feel it's not worth canning a couple of litres, which is often the case in mushroom season for us.

But it comes into its own when we have a deer to can, and then it can be 3-4 runs with a full canner!
 
A decent pressure cooker costs under fifty pounds just now, less if you buy second hand.

If I make too much soup, I just can a couple of jars, same with curry, chilli, stew, mushrooms, beans....it's just quickly storing home made food in reasonable sized proportions.

I don't can meat, though I have preserved it as 'potted' meat under a sealed fat layer.
 
Great food/storage but I thought it was only one type of lentil that cooked quickly?
You can knock up a tasty Dal in 20 minutes. If you get the lentils up to boiling, they only need to simmer for 10/15 minute and then turned off, and continue to cook as they cool. Tinned or packet lentils can be added to cooked onions, potatoes, carrots and stock to make a great stew. That assumes folk have something to cook food on.
My problem would be what stove, or fuel source to choose!
 
I had a good dal recipe that used all store cupboard ingredients, nothing fresh at all. But I'm blowed if I can find it now. Will have a hoak in my old notebooks.
 
I dont think that is due to Fear however.
Fear of death is considered the most powerful of emotions. Look what happened when CoV-19 became a threat to life.

I think you missed the point, I wasn't making a direct link between fear and pillaging and stealing, and it's particularly unrelated to current high street crime.

I'm wondering why I'm back here again intending to read about decent tinned goods and related things?
 
Fear of death is considered the most powerful of emotions. Look what happened when CoV-19 became a threat to life.

I think you missed the point, I wasn't making a direct link between fear and pillaging and stealing, and it's particularly unrelated to current high street crime.

I'm wondering why I'm back here again intending to read about decent tinned goods and related things?

I don't know.
Only you have the answer
 
  • Like
Reactions: Toddy
Fear of death is considered the most powerful of emotions. Look what happened when CoV-19 became a threat to life.

I think you missed the point, I wasn't making a direct link between fear and pillaging and stealing, and it's particularly unrelated to current high street crime.

I'm wondering why I'm back here again intending to read about decent tinned goods and related things?

With respect I don't feel I've " missed the point " - I'm never terribly keen on that phrase as I find it quite patronising and condescending when it tends to come down to the clarity of communication being offered rather than received.

You were talking about fear and then related actions and then decided to take a political viewpoint and incorporate it into the topic being discussed. Where it doesn't seem to belong.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE