Limited Canned Goods.

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.
"does the government give advice on how to defend your stash?" It will Appeal for calm and not to panic....

I do see a lot of comments on line about the worries and concerns people seemingly have ref "marauding hordes " and as a bit of a prepper myself I can see why people work themselves ( and their fertile imaginations ) into a slight feeding frenzy due to Hollywood films and forum based echo chambers of equally fertile imaginations.

Between the white state of government working, utilities working , service and rule of law working to the extreme vision of NONE of those things working for EXTENDED time frame there are literally a million shades of grey in between and the white paler shades being far more probable than anything darker.
c
It , as most things are not , be a binary permanent change - but a temporary change to the normal status quo of life , Yes most likely blips in supply logistics , electricity , possibly medical care , fuel and entertainment etc but it wont be all or nothing.

That doesnt mean one shouldnt however create some basic resilience.
Just in moderation .


imo

1790333031526.png
 
I do see a lot of comments on line about the worries and concerns people seemingly have ref "marauding hordes " and as a bit of a prepper myself I can see why people work themselves ( and their fertile imaginations ) into a slight feeding frenzy due to Hollywood films and forum based echo chambers of equally fertile imaginations.

Between the white state of government working, utilities working , service and rule of law working to the extreme vision of NONE of those things working for EXTENDED time frame there are literally a million shades of grey in between and the white paler shades being far more probable than anything darker.
c
It , as most things are not , be a binary permanent change - but a temporary change to the normal status quo of life , Yes most likely blips in supply logistics , electricity , possibly medical care , fuel and entertainment etc but it wont be all or nothing.

That doesnt mean one shouldnt however create some basic resilience.
Just in moderation .


imo

View attachment 105903
I read this a long time ago, and hope it's still true. When asked what they'd do in a catastrophic emergency situation, most New Zealanders said they'd check their neighbours and then pool resources and skills to rebuild, setting up a central kitchen and community area first.

Considering the UK is ill advisedly trying to become the USA, I think we'd have much pillaging and thieving. Fear does weird things to people, it's the root of all negativity. And it's such a simple decision, to use a bit of compassion and all help each other, particularly after something huge, frightening and traumatic.

On the canned goods, I'm very limited for space but have been grabbing in bits from the foreign section of the supermarket. I'm liking the Grace stuff, and KTC Chilli beans are really good with pretty much anything. Have lots of dried pulses and sealed up herbs and spices, plus a couple of the cheap suitcase camp stoves that run the tall butanes. Tall butanes are what I use for boiling pulses at home anyway, it's way cheaper than using an electric hob for an hour. About half a canister gives a very long simmer.

I read that link to the nutritionist recommendations and it's pretty horrifying the nutritionist is recommending restricting salt, sugar and fats. I've two tins of golden syrup and two of treacle to dip biscuits in :D
 
Last edited:
I do see a lot of comments on line about the worries and concerns people seemingly have ref "marauding hordes " and as a bit of a prepper myself I can see why people work themselves ( and their fertile imaginations ) into a slight feeding frenzy due to Hollywood films and forum based echo chambers of equally fertile imaginations.

Between the white state of government working, utilities working , service and rule of law working to the extreme vision of NONE of those things working for EXTENDED time frame there are literally a million shades of grey in between and the white paler shades being far more probable than anything darker.
c
It , as most things are not , be a binary permanent change - but a temporary change to the normal status quo of life , Yes most likely blips in supply logistics , electricity , possibly medical care , fuel and entertainment etc but it wont be all or nothing.

That doesnt mean one shouldnt however create some basic resilience.
Just in moderation .


imo

View attachment 105903
There are definitely a million shades of grey in between and indeed the lighter ones are more probable.

That said, the ultimate attack would not be drones, missiles, bombs, invading hordes, zombies and whatnot. The ultimate attack on our society would be switching off power and communications. Not hard to achieve, and we seem to be volunteering for the loss of power in the years ahead anyway.

That would have the country thoroughly shut down in hours, and create severe repercussions lasting far longer than 72h, on every level imaginable. Given the level of preparation of the majority of people, it would be a few days at most before it started to go South very quickly, and no amount of personal preparation, compassion, or anything in that matter would be able to restore things to a resemblance to what it used to be; we live in a 'just in time' society with massively long and overly complicated supply chains, and most things we do rely on some sort of connectivity and access to power.

From very personal experience, I know that -no matter how prepped one is- they will just prolong their misery for a little longer if something like that happened; we will eventually lack not only the material supplies, but have also lost a lot of the 'software' in our head to know what to do past a certain point.

The government should -instead of finger-pointing and telling people to prepare for war- prepare itself and the country, by ensuring society would not collapse overnight if a massive cyber attack happened. For that, it would take a lot of attitude changes, creation of backup systems that get tested regularly and are known to work, and keeping a lot of things in reserve that might never be used; something the UK is unlikely to ever spend any money on given it has recently been cutting down on everything -including essential armed forces training.

Other than that, the general public having a few days worth of supplies is a good idea. To be honest, it baffles me to think that there may be people who don't have enough stock at their place for 3 days. Surely, one keeps more food and basic supplies at home than that!

+1 on the foreign section of supermarkets. You can get some real gems there!
 
There are definitely a million shades of grey in between and indeed the lighter ones are more probable.

That said, the ultimate attack would not be drones, missiles, bombs, invading hordes, zombies and whatnot. The ultimate attack on our society would be switching off power and communications. Not hard to achieve, and we seem to be volunteering for the loss of power in the years ahead anyway.

That would have the country thoroughly shut down in hours, and create severe repercussions lasting far longer than 72h, on every level imaginable. Given the level of preparation of the majority of people, it would be a few days at most before it started to go South very quickly, and no amount of personal preparation, compassion, or anything in that matter would be able to restore things to a resemblance to what it used to be; we live in a 'just in time' society with massively long and overly complicated supply chains, and most things we do rely on some sort of connectivity and access to power.

From very personal experience, I know that -no matter how prepped one is- they will just prolong their misery for a little longer if something like that happened; we will eventually lack not only the material supplies, but have also lost a lot of the 'software' in our head to know what to do past a certain point.

The government should -instead of finger-pointing and telling people to prepare for war- prepare itself and the country, by ensuring society would not collapse overnight if a massive cyber attack happened. For that, it would take a lot of attitude changes, creation of backup systems that get tested regularly and are known to work, and keeping a lot of things in reserve that might never be used; something the UK is unlikely to ever spend any money on given it has recently been cutting down on everything -including essential armed forces training.

Other than that, the general public having a few days worth of supplies is a good idea. To be honest, it baffles me to think that there may be people who don't have enough stock at their place for 3 days. Surely, one keeps more food and basic supplies at home than that!

+1 on the foreign section of supermarkets. You can get some real gems there!
A lot of people in the UK are living in poverty, relying on food banks to see them through. It is very difficult if not impossible for them to get ahead and build up an excess of food.
 
  • Sad
Reactions: Toddy
I read this a long time ago, and hope it's still true. When asked what they'd do in a catastrophic emergency situation, most New Zealanders said they'd check their neighbours and then pool resources and skills to rebuild, setting up a central kitchen and community area first.

Having travelled through much of New Zealand I can easily see how they would come together in a pioneer spirited you-help-each-other dynamic. I like New Zealand , as a country its like someone has made a country bumpkin ( like me ) wear a three piece suit , but at heart they just want to go and play in the mud.
Considering the UK is ill advisedly trying to become the USA, I think we'd have much pillaging and thieving. Fear does weird things to people, it's the root of all negativity. And it's such a simple decision, to use a bit of compassion and all help each other, particularly after something huge, frightening and traumatic.
You have lost me on that bit I am afraid - we already have plenty of open unashamed pillaging & shoplifting going on in high streets being unaddressed because the current law makers advise to not engage.

I dont think that is due to Fear however.

But I feel we will stray into politics.



On the canned goods, I'm very limited for space but have been grabbing in bits from the foreign section of the supermarket. I'm liking the Grace stuff, and KTC Chilli beans are really good with pretty much anything. Have lots of dried pulses and sealed up herbs and spices, plus a couple of the cheap suitcase camp stoves that run the tall butanes. Tall butanes are what I use for boiling pulses at home anyway, it's way cheaper than using an electric hob for an hour. About half a canister gives a very long simmer.

Grace stuff???? I am unfamiliar , can you give me a pointer please.
Agree on the Butanes
 
  • Like
Reactions: Toddy
Having travelled through much of New Zealand I can easily see how they would come together in a pioneer spirited you-help-each-other dynamic. I like New Zealand , as a country its like someone has made a country bumpkin ( like me ) wear a three piece suit , but at heart they just want to go and play in the mud.

You have lost me on that bit I am afraid - we already have plenty of open unashamed pillaging & shoplifting going on in high streets being unaddressed because the current law makers advise to not engage.

I dont think that is due to Fear however.

But I feel we will stray into politics.





Grace stuff???? I am unfamiliar , can you give me a pointer please.
Agree on the Butanes



Dunns too, cheap seasonings etc found in the world foods section of supermarkets along with big bags of spices, nuts, pulses etc. All very much cheaper than supermarket own brands.
 
Spend half my weekly food bill in my local big asian supermarket. Big jars and tins of tomato puree, way cheaper than little tubes. (Ignore the white mold if you fridge it and don't rejar, its fine like Camenbert mold) Dried and jars of just about everything and bulks on spices, various carb types, you name it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Nice65 and TeeDee
Go on, gimme me some ideas of what you are talking about?
Lidl do some pretty decent canned stuff, we are big fans of the greek / mediterranean section, the wife loves the okra cans and I will eat just about anything! They also do 'salsiccia', which is italian sausages, you'll find those in the meats sections, try the fennel ones.
Actually, for all the jokes, I find Lidl to have pretty decent quality for many things. If I was stocking up, I would be heading there for my first stop. Their mackerel in olive oil is superb, best of all mackerel cans we've ever bought from any supermarket in the UK.
 
  • Like
Reactions: TeeDee
Lidl do some pretty decent canned stuff, we are big fans of the greek / mediterranean section, the wife loves the okra cans and I will eat just about anything! They also do 'salsiccia', which is italian sausages, you'll find those in the meats sections, try the fennel ones.
Actually, for all the jokes, I find Lidl to have pretty decent quality for many things. If I was stocking up, I would be heading there for my first stop. Their mackerel in olive oil is superb, best of all mackerel cans we've ever bought from any supermarket in the UK.
Lidl have a range of cabbage based east European 'stew' cans, some with sausage or pork pieces some entirely veggie. I love them, I eat them at home for lunch some days. But lord, you don't want to be around me afterwards.
 
Lidl have a range of cabbage based east European 'stew' cans, some with sausage or pork pieces some entirely veggie. I love them, I eat them at home for lunch some days. But lord, you don't want to be around me afterwards.
Buy;
Jars of sauerkraut
Kielbasa torunska
Double cream
Hot paprika

Slice the sausage, dump it in a pot along with the sauerkraut and cream, add paprika to taste, let it stew. That's a traditional Czech / Slovak xmas soup, albeit the kielbasa is not 100% authentic but close enough. My wife is Czech, we have it quite often and probably what is in those jars.

Indeed, sauerkraut creates dangerous conditions :D

Speaking of sauerkraut, it is an excellent source of fibre, vit C and other stuff, and it keeps for years in jars.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ONE
This is more of an 'unlimited canned goods' question, but is anyone else using one of these?

1000033601.jpg

The photo is almost 'live', I am just canning now. We have a lot of excess stuff occasionally, and we also bulk-buy when interesting things are on offer. And a red deer shot in warmer weather means either rushing home, or canning it, so this has prevented many pointless rushed drives.

Overall, only looking at the cost of lids and assuming single use, it comes to ca. £1 per 1500ml jar, incl energy and a lid. It is equivalent to ca. 3x 450ml commercial cans, so it comes to ca. 33p equivalent to make our own cans.

This time it is 6kg of chicken thighs off Tesco, the 2kg packs were on offer and we obliged.

We still buy stuff like canned beans. The canner allows us canning the exact food we want like we want it.
 
This is more of an 'unlimited canned goods' question, but is anyone else using one of these?

View attachment 106057
Yup, have a 23qt Presto, the old pre-induction one. Funny story (or maybe you had to be there) after years of trying to find one in the UK on eBay, I eventually tracked one down right here in Belfast. Bought it immediately and was negotiating collection in person with the seller when the eBay bot hit us with a 24 hour message ban for "trying to negotiate an off eBay sale" this despite the item being bought and paid for already. 10 minutes or so later, the seller appeared at my door, having walked the couple of hundred metres up the street!

I'd love a better pressure canner, an All American ideally (no seals to worry about) but the cost of importing from the States makes it unviable for my level of usage. Not to mention that the fact that their being refused by customs seems worryingly common.
 
  • Haha
Reactions: Toddy
The little Sainsbury’s near me has a limited range of the world foods but quite a few are red ragged and reduced today. Chickpeas, kidney, Kala Chana 50p a tin, Chilli beans 85p, coconut £1.35, 2kg of good rice £5.50, Mango pulp £2.40, lemon juice 90p.

The mango pulp is lovely dumped into 1.5l of kefir and fridged. Kala Chana are chickpeas with a brown skin on, nutty flavour.

IMG_1530.jpeg
 
  • Like
Reactions: TeeDee and Toddy
Isn’t it just!!!
It makes my INR leap (blood thickness) but there is staying alive and there is living. Mangoes are part of living.
 
  • Love
Reactions: Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE