Lightweight warm sleeping mat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
I think that's it try it

Nope not having much luck extremepiestores is the seller on ebay

R value 1.7 I think it says??

Sent from somewhere?

Last edited:

mikedefieslife

Tenderfoot
Apr 8, 2014
EU
Heads up. You can get the downmat5 R-vaule 4.1 for £68 from OutdoorGB.

Use promo code 'spring15'

As it is I ordered the klymit insulated V for a similar price.

Tagaeri

Jan 20, 2014
West Cornwall
Are the Exped Downmat 5s any good? I've heard they're not that comfy and have bulky pack size. Anyone got any feedback on them?

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I've used various thermarest SIM mats and my exped lite 5 is much comfier than any of them. Pack size is about the same dimension as a 1l nalgene. Relatively new to me so will have to see how the durability holds out but they come with a 5 year warranty iirc.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
I'm after a warm sleeping mat that I could use with a down quilt. But it also needs to be light, pack down small and not be ridiculously expensive. Any ideas? Or is this an impossible combination?

Alpkit are releasing a new range of mats. They have one with similar weight/compactness to a Thermarest NeoAir Xlite.
https://www.alpkit.com/featured/sleeping-mats

Maybe worth a punt if you don't want to pay premium.

Miniwhisk

Forager
Apr 7, 2010
Gloucestershire
I made one really 'gulp at the price' amazing investment just over a year ago. I like hammocking and already own a nice top quilt and underquilt but wanted something of quality for tent camping. I used to use a roll mat and sleeping bag but began to use my top quilt more and more - it helps to trap that warm air and you can regulate heat so much better. Of course, that lovely feelong of not being trapped in a bag is a bonus too! So I'm getting the impression that you of like mind.

You will already have saved weight by having eliminated the wasted bottom half of your insulation with the quilt so may I encourage you to lay out a bit more cash to buy the Exped downmat UL 7? You'll keep your bulk and weight down and, you'll have one of the warmest (but you won't get ovely hot) most wonderfully easy to inflate, dream of a mat available.

Its super - I love mine.
http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co...ats-c146/downmat-ultralight-7-m-regular-p1075

You can find it cheaper.

So, I have a cheap knife and an expensive sleep system. We all have our own unique feelings on gear.

By the way, I use a £1 car windscreen insulation thing under the mat, just to protect it from the ground a bit. :)

mikedefieslife

Tenderfoot
Apr 8, 2014
EU
Also curious since Alpkit don't seem to release any R-values for their mats. Or even give an indications of temperature ranges they might possibly be suitable for.

Tagaeri

Jan 20, 2014
West Cornwall
Not sure yet, it should be here soon.

I asked Alpkit about the R-value, and they said it was 2 something, but that it was a meaningless rating for mats.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I asked Alpkit about the R-value, and they said it was 2 something, but that it was a meaningless rating for mats.

I read this on the Needlesports web site just the other day. Another example of the outdoors industry being really inconsistent on this type of stuff.

Typically used in the British textile industry, one Tog corresponds to the heat insulation capability of clothing etc which maintains a temperature difference of 0.1°Kelvin while passing a heat flux of 1 Watt/m2*. Some manufacturers (mainly US ones) give an R Value for the insulation properties of their mats. By this they mean an imperial equivalent (°F-ft2-h/Btu). To convert Imperial R values to Togs, multiply by 1.76228. To confuse matters there is also a metric R value, more properly called an RSI value (10 Togs = 1 RSI).The higher the Tog or R (or RSI) value the better the insulation provided.
If you aren't totally confused by the above you should add to the mix that testing for R/Tog/RSI ratings is not by any means an exact science and that it is also expensive so, it is alleged, some figures that are given may be acquired by doing little more than taking a competitor's figure and adding a pinch for good measure. Of course, who is alleging what about whom is also not easy to ascertain!
*NB One Tog was originally a war time measurement of the amount of warmth retained by a typical male wearing a three piece suit - it originated from research done in the north of England - hence the term tog (though this in turn is thought to originate from the Roman word toga)!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE