Lightweight tent.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Is than an MSR Hubba Hubba (without its flysheet) in the background ?

Fine thing that MSR. I find I can get a bit of splashback coming up under the fly when it is really bucketing down, esp on hard ground ... It's a terrific and adaptable light tent though. I just need to think harder about the edge of the fly ... Mind, I have had it more than seven years and haven't got it right yet :lol: Unlike the Scarp and the Hillebergs, which are 4-season things, the fly doesn't come all the way to the ground. Though now I come to think about it, whilst it is a very weatherproof summer tent, I have had some biblical condensation with it.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2018
Rural Lincolnshire
Fine thing that MSR. I find I can get a bit of splashback coming up under the fly when it is really bucketing down, esp on hard ground ... It's a terrific and adaptable light tent though. I just need to think harder about the edge of the fly ... Mind, I have had it more than seven years and haven't got it right yet :lol: Unlike the Scarp and the Hillebergs, which are 4-season things, the fly doesn't come all the way to the ground. Though now I come to think about it, whilst it is a very weatherproof summer tent, I have had some biblical condensation with it.

I bought a Chinese version (rip-off) of the Hubba Hubba as it cost £300 less than the MSR.
Excellent build quality.
Yes the flysheet doesn't quite reach the ground but the depth of the 'tub' seems to stop any spray-bounce.
I have not had any condensation problem but it does have two 'vent windows' which can be held open or closed.

The colour is rather 'strong' green and anything but 'muted'.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Strewth ... would you describe the Chinese copy as something of a bargain then? :)

Really puts the Scarp into a more sensible perspective. (I am not sure I like the sound of that sentence)

Jan 13, 2018
Rural Lincolnshire
Strewth ... would you describe the Chinese copy as something of a bargain then? :)

Let me think about for a while …………………………………… YES CERTAINLY.

And the quality really is excellent with taped seams, double stitching, support pads behind the guying points, seemingly pretty good quality zips,

I had a bit of a problem on the 1st erection.

One of the 'nipples' on the end of a pole would not pass thru the eyelet tab, I emailed them and got an immediate response - "we will send a replacement on overnight courier for you".

Next morning courier arrives and hands over a fair sized package - bit big for a little nipple me thinks - open the package and it is a COMPLETE replacement tent (Fly sheet, tent, poles, pegs everything).
I emailed them and asked how they wanted the other one returning and they said "sorry for the inconvenience - keep it free of charge with our best wishes".

THAT IS Customer service !!!

I found the correct nipples on ebay (I think they were qty 5 for GBP£1), nipples arrived and the incorrect one replaced, added a couple of spares into the peg bag.
Rolled up the tent, back into its bag and its has sat in the cupboard for the last year or so as a 'spare' never erected.

The remaining 2 nipples added to the other tent as spares.

The only issue I had was that the tent pegs supplied were 150mm and had a tendency to pull out of soft soil in strong winds. Replaced them with 200mm and never looked back.

Reactions: Billy-o

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
I had a bit of a problem on the 1st erection.

One of the 'nipples'

C_auJc6W0AACmHk.jpg

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Though they are under considerable attack at the moment, one thing you can say about Canadian public libraries is that do have magnificently comprehensive holdings of film on DVD. But, and this despite a broad fondness of English bawdiness, they have no Carry On films. Ealing Comedies, we gottem. Benny Hill on TV? Ho, yus! But, Carry Ons in the library? Not on your nelly.

D

Deleted member 36581

I bought a Chinese version (rip-off) of the Hubba Hubba as it cost £300 less than the MSR.
Excellent build quality.
Yes the flysheet doesn't quite reach the ground but the depth of the 'tub' seems to stop any spray-bounce.
I have not had any condensation problem but it does have two 'vent windows' which can be held open or closed.

The colour is rather 'strong' green and anything but 'muted'.

Do you have a link for the copy one? I have the MSR Elixir 2, no issues with splash or condensation thus far, I find it to be quite airy but the sides of the inner tent keep the water splash away.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: dwardo
Jan 13, 2018
Rural Lincolnshire
Do you have a link for the copy one? I have the MSR Elixir 2, no issues with splash or condensation thus far, I find it to be quite airy but the sides of the inner tent keep the water splash away.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

These Chinese companies come and go as regularly as some folks change their underpants.

It seems as if most of these tents are manufactured by Naturhike and sold by a multitude of companies under different names.

Here is a link for the same sort of tent :

They do 3-season and 4-season variants - the difference being the 3-season inner tent has 'mainly mesh walls' and the 4-season has 'mainly 'solid walls' with small amounts of mesh at the top.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...4.0&pvid=eedf1630-94f4-43a0-a8c4-267293288de4

You can buy the (say) 3-season tent and then a 4-season 'inner' (about £40 ish) separately and have the best of both.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Hey all. Thread revival but before I pull the trigger on an MSR Elixir 2, has anyone tried one of these Naturehike ones recently? I can squeeze one of the Elixir down to about £180/90, whilst still expensive its not a million miles away from the "copies" once I have been stung for duties etc.

e=mc2

May 14, 2011
United Kingdom
Scarp!

The most versatile, light and, well, everything tent. Which, as you see, opens L & R, provides a good vestibule and optional solid and/or mozzy net inner, plus reinforcing poles ... all of which move the price from its base at 330USD to 500USD. Wish I had one, and I might yet ... though I definitely do not need one.

Holds one large person plus kit and dog, no squeeze

The man builds them little and bigger and in any number of imaginative variations.

https://www.tarptent.com/product/scarp-1/

scarp2-2-800x450.jpg
don’t have enough privileges to post on for sale?

Last edited by a moderator:

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
would it be possible to just rig a mozzie net under your tarp? It's not something I've tried but I've been thinking about for my own setup. I find in summer tents can be like an oven in the mornings, pretty unbearable.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE