Lightweight sub-zero camp shoes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I don't fancy spending 10 days in nordic ski boots so I'm after some camp shoes suitable for cold conditions. Is there anything better than Nokian Trimmi wellies?

charliefoxtrot

Sep 9, 2011
North Lancs, UK.
Me too, I was browsing *bay yesterday and came across various options ranging from genuine soviet felt boots to sheepskin mens ugg boots. Not made up my mind yet though.

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
I use the Exped down booties WB. They have a separate waterproof outer which can also be worn over the felt liners of your boots or a couple of socks. In the evening you can wear the booties with the outer, and when it is time to go to sleep just slip out of the shell and sleep with just the booties. Warm feet will help you sleep ;)

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
I have a pair of nanok socks which are great for sleeping in but not for outside the tent/hammock. It would be great if I could get a suitable easy on easy off over shoe.
A.

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
I can't see why anyone would choose rubber (or any other waterproof/non-breathable material for that matter), if it will be well below zero.

I would look at something like this:

http://www.sievi.com/index.php?sivu...ts&PHPSESSID=d6d6a05bfd970f68d7589c449440561a

A soft rubber sole to give you some grip on the ice, and you could travel in them too, maybe even wear them to bar :) They have a zip, which means easy on/off. I don't think they will be very heavy. I have the full length boots and they only weigh 1.7Kg:

http://www.sievi.com/index.php?sivu...ts&PHPSESSID=d6d6a05bfd970f68d7589c449440561a

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I should have been more specific in my original post. I'm after something I can wear while walking 10K through snow and ice (carrying a 25 kilo sack) but is light enough to carry while ski touring! Perhaps I'm asking too much.

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
Assuming you can find a distributor, and they fit, you won't go far wrong with my second link. Outside of the cities, this type of boot is very popular during the winter, and for good reasons :)

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I may take my Lundhags Scout boots. Sievi are available in the UK but usually only the safety boots. Don't think I'll need the steel toecaps!

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
I can't see why anyone would choose rubber (or any other waterproof/non-breathable material for that matter), if it will be well below zero.
The number of frostbites in the Finnish Defence Forces lowered considerably after they moved from leather to rubber boots. Sounds good enough reason for me.

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
The number of frostbites in the Finnish Defence Forces lowered considerably after they moved from leather to rubber boots. Sounds good enough reason for me.

I don't doubt it. Would be very interesting to see the research behind that Martti.

If I was equipping an army with boots to carry them through changing weather (rain>sleet>snow>extreme cold and back again), then rubber would be my first choice. But I still would never choose rubber for my own feet when temps were well below zero.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE