Lightweight sleeping bag for fatties

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cliv

Forager
Nov 15, 2008
Preston
I use a Softie 12 with an expanda panel (You can of course use more than 1) which I suspect will give you more chest room than the Elite 4.

Redwall

Tenderfoot
Apr 12, 2011
Bristol
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOUNTAIN-...tingGoods_SleepingBags_SM&hash=item4605987e85

This is the large size army bag which will keep you warm in any UK weather. It is not lightweight but there is LOTS of room in them. My little boy is 6'3" and big built and has no problems whatsoever with these bags. Buy one, try it, and if its no good you'll very easily sell it on ebay for pretty much what you paid for it so at worse you'll end up ten quid out of pocket, at best your have the sleeping bag you need, give it a bash.

These bags are awesome for warmth and the centre zip and inside pockets are amazing. It is however the approximate size and weight of a baby elephant. I carried one for 3 years and loved it, now I'm going to spend some money on something a bit smaller and lighter.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
They are not lightweight but fit the OP's budget. People like RAB and Mountain Equipment will sell you a large down bag but they cost about £250 more.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I like the Army bags too. And that - including a compression sac - is a GREAT price.

However, one word of caution. Like most other synthetic bags (and down, come to think of it), the loft will deteriorate as the filling breaks down with continued use/abuse/compression/washing. I've had army bags that have been as-new, and have been brilliant. I've also had them when the filling was decidedly flat, and the bag nowhere near its projected temp rating. If its been given a hard time by its previous owner, you'll get the weight but not the warmth.

OurJud

Forager
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester
Wow! Thank you so much for all these replies, really helpful and extremely appreciated :)

Don't give Graveworm such a hard time, his comment was maybe a little insensitive, but I don't think he meant any malice (unless he's a known troll :)). Besides he's correct to a large extent - I've only myself to blame for being so chunky.

Anywaaaaay, I'm very torn between BareThrills Snugpak, Rik's MOUNTAIN, and Greek's Gelert Pod, but judging from the support Rik's recommendation has received I think I'd be daft not to go with one of those MOUNTAINS - especially at that price!

Thank you all again - really appreciate your advice and help on this.

Just bought myself one of these, does anyone know the pack size and weight, cant find it on google

Gray, it never ceases to amaze me how many online shops and sellers consider size (both open and packed) and weight to be unimportant info. Aside from it's season rating and material specs it's just about one of the most important pieces of info you need, but it's something that is left out time after time.

Last edited:

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
All the Snugpak bags I've had are great. All there stuff is pretty good IMO...

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
Don't give Graveworm such a hard time, his comment was maybe a little insensitive, but I don't think he meant any malice (unless he's a known troll :)). Besides he's correct to a large extent - I've only myself to blame for being so chunky.

I am so sorry if it was seen as insensitive I never intended that; it was meant lightheartedly hence the 2 smilies. The title of the thread led me to believe it would be taken well. I meant no malice.

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
From memory it's 2.7kg and it's big, approx 50 x 30 cm. Store it in it's stuff sack if you must but pack it loose in the bottom of your rucksack. It lofts better and fills every nook and cranny which it won't when compressed. Packing it loose uses quite a bit less space than when it's compressed!

OurJud

Forager
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester
Sorry for my naivety here, but isn't it usual to carry something this big strapped to the base of your pack (protected from the elements, of course)?

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Not usually nowadays. Back in the day we carried our doss bags on top of our 58 large packs as that was the only place to carry them. One of the few things I carry outside my ruck now is a roll mat- usually strapped the the front. I hate things that bang/touch my legs as I'm walking. Thinking about it; I can't remember the last time I saw a ruck with bottom straps.

If it works for you though, who's anyone else to say it's wrong?

Greek1983

Forager
Jan 23, 2011
Athens, Greece
Sorry for my naivety here, but isn't it usual to carry something this big strapped to the base of your pack (protected from the elements, of course)?

Not that large and cumbersome bags or tents. I always place such big and heavy things on top of my rucksack.We have a similar to the '58 Pattern sleeping bag (synthetic fill, PU coated base, center zip, etc.) and even the SF guys who have large, 100 Lt rucks, strap it on top 'cos it's massive. Since it's synthetic and the carry bag is waterproof, no problems with the elements.

At the bottom straps you usually place a roll mat, a light tent, in general something lightweight.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE