Lightweight sleeping bag for fatties

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

OurJud

Forager
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester
I'm hoping to spend a few days in the Lake District leading up to Christmas, but could really do with some help finding a decent sleeping bag. My problem is my size (not height, but width) and because of this I loath mummy style sleeping bags as I can hardly fit inside them, let alone move. This obviously creates a problem. 'Wideboys' or 'pod' bags would resolve the size problem, but these factors compromise pack size and weight. In short, I need something that is 4-season, big enough for a fat lad, lightweight and reasonably priced (under £40) I appreciate a bag that follows these specs probably doesn't even exist, but any advice or alternatives to my sleeping arrangements up in the Lak District in December would be very much appreciated.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
not for £40 mate but the snugpak elite 4 is the bag for you. has a baffle built in which lets the girth out to man sized proportions. its my weapon of choice and im a big lad.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Frankly, you are not going to get what you want on your stated budget or even close to it. A properly 4 season bag needs to have a good quality fill whether synthetic or down and they don't come cheap. Ignoring your budget and just looking at your other needs I would have suggested a good quality sleeping pad ( like an Exped Syn or Downmat ) and a down top quilt, but then you'll be looking at at least £200!

OurJud

Forager
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester
Thank you both for your replies. I suspected my budget would be the problem, so what about if I come down in the season rating. I cope well with the cold and could always say clothed. BareThrills, not that I'm doubting your experiences with the snugpak, but on searching the web for it I have to say I'm a little confused and dubious about the size. It's a mummy style one and looks to have virtually no lateral leg room? I appreciate what you say about the baffle, but it still looks a little snug (no pun intended) for my needs.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOUNTAIN-...tingGoods_SleepingBags_SM&hash=item4605987e85

This is the large size army bag which will keep you warm in any UK weather. It is not lightweight but there is LOTS of room in them. My little boy is 6'3" and big built and has no problems whatsoever with these bags. Buy one, try it, and if its no good you'll very easily sell it on ebay for pretty much what you paid for it so at worse you'll end up ten quid out of pocket, at best your have the sleeping bag you need, give it a bash.

Oct 30, 2012
Eseex
I have a similar issue, i like the look of the Snugpaks but cant work out the pro's/con's between an Elite 4 and a Softie with expanda panel. Can anyone advise?

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
The Elite has the expanda baffle built in and does not need to be bought separately.

I have an Elite and it's very tight with the baffle done up, but has plenty of room with the panel undone.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Thank you both for your replies. I suspected my budget would be the problem, so what about if I come down in the season rating. I cope well with the cold and could always say clothed. BareThrills, not that I'm doubting your experiences with the snugpak, but on searching the web for it I have to say I'm a little confused and dubious about the size. It's a mummy style one and looks to have virtually no lateral leg room? I appreciate what you say about the baffle, but it still looks a little snug (no pun intended) for my needs.

Im a front sleeper in the recovery position and dont have a problem in the snugpak. Im 20 stone with a superb gut and it swallows me whole :D. the bag obviously tapers but i find the main bit that needs the room to spread is at about the thigh and there is enough room to spread em :D. your other option is something like the TF gear extreme sleeping bag used by carp fishermen. Its a square bag, very warm but not really light and packable. does the job though and much cheaper than the snugpak. I have one i want to sell but posting it would make it a bad deal sadly.

Like Rik says get out and try some. If you are ever passing Coventry you are welcome to try mine

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Snug-pak elite 3 for us blokes with the fuller figures all the way, just got mine a few weeks ago after posting a similar thread on here, loads of room when using extenda baffle, you won't go wrong, not within your budget unfortunately if buying new.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Snug-pak elite 3 for us blokes with the fuller figures all the way, just got mine a few weeks ago after posting a similar thread on here, loads of room when using extenda baffle, you won't go wrong, not within your budget unfortunately if buying new.

Just for clarity on the baffle, there is one built in but you can buy adittional ones that zip in to give even more room. Its also worth noting that as a rule having the baffle open or adding another will reduce the temperature rating of the bag

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOUNTAIN-...tingGoods_SleepingBags_SM&hash=item4605987e85

This is the large size army bag which will keep you warm in any UK weather. It is not lightweight but there is LOTS of room in them. My little boy is 6'3" and big built and has no problems whatsoever with these bags. Buy one, try it, and if its no good you'll very easily sell it on ebay for pretty much what you paid for it so at worse you'll end up ten quid out of pocket, at best your have the sleeping bag you need, give it a bash.[/QUOTE

absolute top rate advice here from Rik, you aint gonna get better than this fella

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire

This is the large size army bag which will keep you warm in any UK weather. It is not lightweight but there is LOTS of room in them. My little boy is 6'3" and big built and has no problems whatsoever with these bags. Buy one, try it, and if its no good you'll very easily sell it on ebay for pretty much what you paid for it so at worse you'll end up ten quid out of pocket, at best your have the sleeping bag you need, give it a bash.

The issue bag is my favourite bag of all time apart from how much it weighs

Strong as an ox build very strong central zip that doesent snag ive never ever been cold in one unlike the 58 ptn bag i was issued previously and i have no problem getting in and out of it even when inebriated

If im not walking a long distance i take the issue bag if ive some distance to do i take a nanok -10

Riks right you wont find a better bag for the money you want to spend

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
The issue bag is my favourite bag of all time apart from how much it weighs

Strong as an ox build very strong central zip that doesent snag ive never ever been cold in one unlike the 58 ptn bag i was issued previously and i have no problem getting in and out of it even when inebriated

If im not walking a long distance i take the issue bag if ive some distance to do i take a nanok -10

Riks right you wont find a better bag for the money you want to spend
I'm gonna get me one of these, fantastic value :)

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich

This is the large size army bag which will keep you warm in any UK weather. It is not lightweight but there is LOTS of room in them. My little boy is 6'3" and big built and has no problems whatsoever with these bags. Buy one, try it, and if its no good you'll very easily sell it on ebay for pretty much what you paid for it so at worse you'll end up ten quid out of pocket, at best your have the sleeping bag you need, give it a bash.[/QUOTE

absolute top rate advice here from Rik, you aint gonna get better than this fella

I got one of those, and like it, nice and wide, I am 6' and have a 50" chest, 17 1/2 stone big calfs, size 12 feet...loads of room....

I'll be getting my Boy one soon...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE