Lightweight rucksack?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

caorach

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
UK
I need to get my weight down.

This year was the first year I camped and I didn't want to put a lot of money into it until I would see if it worked for me. In the end I enjoyed it.

Now although I haven't camped before I'm out in remote areas a lot so it isn't that I'm carrying lots of stuff I don't need but the truth is that I was carrying FARRRRRRR too much weight, way more than was comfortable for me. I'm pretty lightly built but the weight was such that I was just never going to get fit enough to carry it, it was just going to do me damage.

I'm using a Dutch Army Sting as a rucksack. It is fantastic and works well but, as everyone knows, is very heavy and so it is one of the places I can make an "easy" reduction in weight. So, I'm looking for suggestions for alternatives and they need to be around the same size as I need most of the space in the Sting, with the PLCE rocket pockets. Needless to say I'm looking for lots of mutually exclusive things - light weight, comfortable, large, inexpensive and so on.

If I can I will buy 2nd hand as I simply don't want to spend a lot of cash, the camping thing is very much an occasional event for me so cost is a major factor.

As background I have a Banshee 200 tent, Snugpak Tactical 3 bag, Thermarest Neoair. I've just got a little AlpKit stove to fit on one of those small gas canisters so that will reduce my stove weight by 2lb which is a start. I need a synthetic bag as me and down don't get on and the Snugpak is probably as good as any plus the Banshee probably has to stay unless someone is selling a 2nd hand Power Lizard really cheap. Needless to say there is quite a bit of volume in the bag and tent hence why I'm filling a 55+20 bag. By the time I add admin gear, cook gear, thermal layer, waterproof, fishing gear etc. I'm probably at 3 stone++

On a positive note one of my camp sites for this year looked like this, this is sunset and sunrise in the same place:

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
55l plus perhaps 20L is a big bag, and a decent lightish one isn't going to be cheap. If you can get away with 65L, then Blacks have the Berghaus Trailhead http://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/158254-berghaus-trailhead-65-rucksack.html - £65 for 1.7kg
Podsac are still doing their X Pod pack - https://www.podsacs.com/i/q/CCPX/x-pod-back-pack - at £79.99 thats a good deal for 80 litres at least (including overload), but its 2.26kg.

Another option would be the LA Cholatse II 65:75 - Cotswolds got it for £110 - http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/lowe-alpine-cholatse-ii-65-75-rucksack-e1112464?id_colour=4557 - and its 1.7kg. Fixed back system though. They also have the Atlas (which does have the Axiom back system) http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/lowe-alpine-atlas-65-rucksack-e1112504?id_colour=3657 - a tenner more, but 2.26kg. But Webtougs have it for £77.66 - thats a good deal! https://www.webtogs.com/en-UK/Lowe-Alpine-Atlas-65-Backpack/34099wmp.htm?colour=Atlantic+Blue+Zinc

After that, its gets pricey ( I'd love Osprey, but...). The thing I found when putting all the weighest bits down on a bit of paper was that the cost of replacing my old LA Liberty 70 + 20 (2.26kg) was around £110 at least, but I'd only save about half a kilo,if that. On the other hand, my old Snugpak could be replaced by a better sleeping bag (down if poss, but something like the Mountain Hardware Laminia O) for about the same money in the case of the synthetic bag, and a decent chunk towards a down bag, but I'd save on bulk and at least that in weight. Its why I went for the Zpehyros 2 over the Banshee - the cost wasn't much different, but that was at least half a kilo lighter.

When its comes to weight, your basically chucking cash at the problem. It might be worth seeing what deals are out there (flash sales, specials, end of lines, etc), and stuff comes up on member sales here. Don't forget Ourdoor Magic - a decent bargains thread and alwasy good advice on rucksacks, etc, plus a members sales thread. Something might come up.

I'd be interested to see what you do in the end, because my rucksack could do with replacement as well, and my back isn't getting better!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
If I'm walking a long distance I use a Crux AK47, very simple design, practically indestructible and weighs in at a little over a kilogram.

New these are quite pricey but they do come up on ebay from time to time, although they seem to hold their value.

The Crux site will often sell off older models at cheaper prices too.

The%252520begining.JPG

Last edited:

Monspoonmaker

Mar 15, 2014
Silures
I am a fan of the Lowe Alpine Sting too. But if I'm walking any distance I use a 50L Granite Gear pack. Just as comfortable as the sting but much lighter. They are expensive new but do come up on ebay from time to time at very good prices, picked up mine for £20.

caorach

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
UK

By heckers, I've got to the end of your exterior pockets and I couldn't lift all of that stuff and you haven't even got somewhere to sleep yet!!

It must be said that the bag looks good but the volume of my tent/sleeping bag might prove a problem as the two of them almost fill the 55l main compartment of the sting. I wonder if the main bit of the tent might not go in that mesh front pocket though? That would be a bit of a game changer for me.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up Caorach,

Have you heard of this company (Austrian) - Steinadler Militaer Versand?
They market commercial C&E for civilians and (Austrian) military.

I've been using one of their 55 litre rucksacks for bushcraft for a couple of years now and although there have been a few aspects that I have modified for my own comfort I have found it to be well spec'd and it has proven good value for money.
They don't sell the specific one that I use but the one in the images is pretty close.

The one in the images is the Kadderrucksack and might actually better spec'd than mine. (Waist belt pouches, inclusive rain cover etc).
It comes in black or - you guessed it - a lovely mid olive!
59 Euros plus about 10 Euros postage.

The staff at their Vienna branch speak good English if you need to contact them. Hope this gives you food for thought.

Rucksack(i).jpg Rucksack(ii).jpg Rucksack(iii).jpg Rucksack(iv).jpg

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
None of the options given so far are a lightweight bag. Are you going truly lightweight? My first lightweight rucksack was a Karrimor Skido 65 from Sports Direct for £28- I think they still do them. It weighs 1000g but was too long for me. This is the wrong forum for lightweight advice, although many lightweight campers are also 'shrafters. You will find lots of info here: http://www.trek-lite.com/index.php

Remember you cannot yet get the following combinations: small, light, cheap, warm. You can get 3 grouped together but not the 4th.

My 3 day 3 season bag including food, water and fuel weighs around 10-11kg.

Dr Toerag

Apr 9, 2015
Birmingham
I saw a review of a very light backpack today on YouTube. It weighs less than 1kg but has a capacity of 55l. It ain't cheap, and you need to be measured for it to fit. But it sounds excellent for a medium/large light pack.
Review by Outdoor Life of Brian after using it on a Norwegian trip: [video=youtube;NlZJrXsSNLg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlZJrXsSNLg[/video]

Last edited:

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Getting a lighter bag is only a small part of it. The bigger the bag the more tempted you will be to pack it with stuff you don't need. I'm not saying what you have listed is unnecessary- far from it. But there are things you can do. You say you don't get on with down- cost, allergies? It will pack smaller and lighter than synthetic.

Thermarest mat- yes lovely and comfortable but could you get a foam mat that is lighter and strap it to the outside.

Fishing gear- I see you are a fly angler: are the trips just for fishing? If so reevaluate your kit. For example take just a wading jacket with minimal kit instead of vest, jacket, kit. I often used to find myself bringing way too much but in reality didn't need it all. Focusing on which patterns I was likely to need and fitting them in one fly box actually made me enjoy the actual fishing even more.

Finally one very important point. Get a rucksack that fits you. Being of a lighter build myself I know that it plays a big part. If it doesn't fit you properly ( back length of pack too long, short etc) then it will be uncomfortable before you even add any weight. Cotswolds is a good option to get your back measured and the right size pack.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Dump half the luxuries, use compression sacks inside your bag and don't carry your water (buy a small filter / mil bank bag). Done.

Great if you have year round water available.

Big rucksacks don't have to be filled to the brim so use some common sense, IMHO better bigger than farting about squeezing kit in a smaller pack

Get an army Bergen for £25, I liked them when still camping, if you don't then sell it on ebay and loose not a lot

caorach

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
UK
Dump half the luxuries, use compression sacks inside your bag and don't carry your water (buy a small filter / mil bank bag). Done.

I don't need to carry water, or a filter, as my camping is in the Hebrides. I mostly boil the water but can, and have, drunk directly from the lochs or burns. The nearest I'm coming to luxury is food and a toothbrush :)

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
Aye fair point guys. Just used to having rivers and lochs all about. Almost went like a month python sketch there...TOOTHBRUSH!? We were lucky to have teeth when we were young. Hah.

What pack did you settle on?

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I received in the post today a new light weight pack. Exped Lightning 60. It's a 60 litre pack that the manufacture claims to weigh 1150g. I've just weighed mine at it came in at 1120g (Scale accuracy ~10g). It won't take PLCE side pockets, but you can stick the Exped flash pocket on the outside. It's very much a civilian pack, but it is rated to carry 35kg if you need to.

I'll let you know in a week or two how I get on with it, but it may be of interest.

J

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley

caorach

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
UK
I'll let you know in a week or two how I get on with it, but it may be of interest.

I will be interested to see how you get on. I'm in no hurry to buy as it will be summer before I'm out and about again and I did know I was going to be too heavy this year but simply didn't want to spend the cash until I'd given the camping a try. As it is I enjoyed it and would like to try again, but I'm not going to carry that sort of weight again :)

I had looked at the Exped while browsing around so it will be good to get some first hand experiences.

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
I use a Hyperlight mountain gear 50L sack which I got second hand from someone on the backpacking light forum, I've also got both a laser competition and a Cuben tarp tent with a bug inner - so depending on weather and conditions I use one of those.

I'm using a thermarest and a go lite quilt which work well together - if the weather looks crap and it's wilderness and I'm using the tarp tent I have a back up bivi sack in my bag - I usually take one by borah gear but I do have a sol one as well which is even smaller and lighter.

I have a caldera cone stone which I use for anything less than two weeks or so, if it's more I switch to a jetboil, if it's only a weekend I use an esbit micro stove and titanium mug - I read a lengthy article about weight and stoves which decided this for me. I have both a sawyer squeeze and a water to go bottle for filtering and cleaning up water - which one I take depends on where I am going.

So - this covers sleep, carrying, cooking and water. And then there's a lot of space for grub and maybe an extra base layer plus socks!

I've never gone over about ten kilos including food - but I am a gram weenie - I've gone for the smallest and lightest in everything and have built up my kit over lots of years - I've been using a Berghaus climbing sack for twenty years and decided it was time to upgrade to the HMG this year just as an example. I see that there are newer lighter thermarest pads, but I bought a new one three years ago so I'll wait a bit for that.

One of the things I've done is make sure I'm paying attention to fora when I'm in need of something - I do a lot of research - and buy the thing second hand wherever possible. Backpacking light is a good forum for very lightweight camping and hiking gear, and this forum is good for more traditional stuff. Cuben is the lightweight fibre of choice at the moment, which can mean there are good bargains around in silnylon, event and other fabrics... Good luck! I've found that good gear is a great incentive to get out more!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE