Lightweight rucksack?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I will be interested to see how you get on. I'm in no hurry to buy as it will be summer before I'm out and about again and I did know I was going to be too heavy this year but simply didn't want to spend the cash until I'd given the camping a try. As it is I enjoyed it and would like to try again, but I'm not going to carry that sort of weight again :)

I had looked at the Exped while browsing around so it will be good to get some first hand experiences.

I've only had it since Monday, but today I loaded it up with 11 library books and walked the mile each way to the library. I stopped off at Cotswolds on the way, and spent half hour looking at stuff, whilst wearing the pack. My conclusion thus far is that it's the most comfortable pack I've ever worn. The load transfer onto the hips is amazing. I'm taking it out on a 25km 3 dayer soon, and that should demonstrate if it's really as good as it seems so far. I'm very pleased with it.

J

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Many years ago, Chris Brasher wrote an article entitled, "The Heavy Cost of Travelling Light". As Widu13 pointed out above, you can't have it all. Some of my year has lasted for years because I went for quality and some because I picked a heavier and more robust option. Much of my gear is quite old, like me, and I can't really justify spending more to replace still servicable items. I think the choices are better now since competition and a much larger market has brought prices down while better technology has increased robustness. For example, I still use a stainless steel Sierra Cup I bought in the US nearly 40 years ago. If I lost it I would replace it with a titanium mug from Alpkit.

I can get all my gear into a 35litre frameless Berghuas climbing pack which weighs just over a kilogram if I strap my tent and mat to the outside. Total 3day weight about 11k.
My 2 and a bit kilo Craghopper 50litre framed pack gets everything in for a total weight of just over 13kg including the pack's integral dry sack liner.

However, the heavier pack is much more comfortable on a long trek and I don't get backache like I do with the climbing pack. Weight isn't everything.

My golden rule, which I always break, is to weigh separately the bits and pieces I take "because the don't weigh anything much and I might need them". Last time I did this the weight of those negligible items totalled over a kilo!

I've had 60 years worth of fun trying to get my pack weight down. When I started, my pack weighed 27 pounds: now it weighs 12 kilos.

caorach

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
UK
My conclusion thus far is that it's the most comfortable pack I've ever worn. The load transfer onto the hips is amazing. I'm taking it out on a 25km 3 dayer soon, and that should demonstrate if it's really as good as it seems so far. I'm very pleased with it.

Excellent news as the Exped appears to be somewhere about mid-priced when it comes to the lightweight packs so I might be able to justify one, especially if I sell on the pack I currently have.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Excellent news as the Exped appears to be somewhere about mid-priced when it comes to the lightweight packs so I might be able to justify one, especially if I sell on the pack I currently have.

I've just got back from a hike overnight. I used the Exped Lightning 60 with a weight of about 12kg. It was, in a word: Brilliant. I've never had a pack that transfers load onto the hips so well. If it wasn't for the fact I have my camera hanging off the straps, I could have loosened them off completely.

The pack isn't absolutely perfect, I've already done a couple of mods (adding bungee loops on the straps). I didn't quite do the waterproof zip on the pocket up completely, soaking the contents... The bag isn't claimed to be waterproof, despite it's dry bag like construction, the contents stayed dry (bar the pocket thing).

Really pleased with it. I may get the 45 for summer use.

Cheers

J

caorach

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
UK
I've just got back from a hike overnight. I used the Exped Lightning 60 with a weight of about 12kg. It was, in a word: Brilliant.

Excellent info, thanks. I might just look around and invest in one and sell on my current Sting. It is a great pack but I'd save nearly half a stone going to the Exped and with the few pounds here and there I'm working on saving that would reduce the pack weight by about a stone. If I keep going this way my overnight pack will soon not be that much heavier than my normal day pack :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE