Lightweight food

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
Guys, the weight of food is a big factor for me when going on camp. I am riddled with arthritis, especially in my feet and so I cant walk very well. The more weight i carry, the more pain I'm in, the less I enjoy the experience. Therefore in an effort to cut down on weight I was wondering what everyone takes with them when out and about, I'm looking for high calorie, filling, tasty and lightweight food ideas.
All ideas/help is very much appreciated.
thanks guys

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
Porridge, 1 cup oatmeal to 3 cups water, pinch of salt bring to the boil, stir constantly. When made, add a little sugar or honey and or a little butter. 1kg oatmeal = 4kg of Porridge.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Smash.
Buy the powdery stuff and stir through some stock powder (Marigold or Knorr) and bag it in portion sizes. It goes with pretty much anything, it only needs hot water to make it edible, doesn't even need to be boiling. It thickens soups, and stews too. If you make some up and add flour it makes tattie scones. They're all better with some kind of fat, but if you get hold of those single portion tubs from a cafe somewhere they're lighter to carry than a bottle of oil. Little sachets of mayonnaise or sauce are good too.

Couscous, especially if you add dried veggies and (if you eat meat) take along those finger thick salami sausagey things to chop and stir through it. Again, it just needs hot water to cook.

Interesting thread, and timely again :D

cheers,
M

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
Smash.
Buy the powdery stuff and stir through some stock powder (Marigold or Knorr) and bag it in portion sizes. It goes with pretty much anything, it only needs hot water to make it edible, doesn't even need to be boiling. It thickens soups, and stews too. If you make some up and add flour it makes tattie scones. They're all better with some kind of fat, but if you get hold of those single portion tubs from a cafe somewhere they're lighter to carry than a bottle of oil. Little sachets of mayonnaise or sauce are good too.

Couscous, especially if you add dried veggies and (if you eat meat) take along those finger thick salami sausagey things to chop and stir through it. Again, it just needs hot water to cook.

Interesting thread, and timely again :D

cheers,
M

That takes me back to being a boy scout :tapedshut.

Couscous is good, almost as good as oatmeal, as is the suggestion of cured sausage and dried veg, although I find tabasco an essential when eating anything made with couscous, dried chillies just won't cut it.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Sainsbury's do their own version of mash in idividual packets. I put one of these in a pour and store bag, add 500ml to the bag and let stand. No washing up!
I also do the same thing with couscous and instant noodles.
Jerky and beanfeast type thing are also a staple.
I ready mix porridge into portions with dried milk and sugar into small plastic bags. I quite like raw porridge- just add water.
Porridge is THE trail food. Light, stick-to-gutability and plenty of calories for weight.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Good idea on the pour and store bags :)
HWMBLT would use those :D
Son2 has taken an notion to the 'instant' porridge :)sigh: wisdom teeth impacted, he can't chew just now) that comes in sachets. Those would be handy for out and about too. He says the syrup ones are way too sweet though.

atb,
M

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I ready mix porridge into portions with dried milk and sugar into small plastic bags.

Same here, but I add some dried fruit and nuts in place of sugar ~ depending on how you take it, the take up of water by the fruit can mean a small amount of extra water needs to be added ;) .

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Basical noodles are light and cheap! I find the branded ones worth the extra 10p. Take some chillis and a dollop of peanut butter and add your protein of choice for a really nice satay type meal. I reckon I can whomp a meal for a starving man for 30p plus whatever meat / veg is used.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Very tru that Shewie - although you can do a lot with an oven - Hamburger rocks are brilliant. Team up with some dehydrator dried onion, Mary's "Smash" and a few spoons of Bisto for a first rate cottage pie in the woods. I mix up the bisto and rehydrate the onion and mince in the gravy - seems to work well.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Couscous, especially if you add dried veggies and (if you eat meat) take along those finger thick salami sausagey things to chop and stir through it. Again, it just needs hot water to cook..."

+1 for couscous

Add a few dried sausages from your local Polish deli and your all set.

:)

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
I love Totellini (Sp?) as a lightweight main meal.

Boil in water for 3 mins and I find it a more substantial and filling food than most other things. It can also be covered in a tub of sauce but then this adds a bit of weight so not really adequate for the OP.

Can still be nice on its own though, especially with a little garlic oil :)

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Sainsbury's do their own version of mash in idividual packets. I put one of these in a pour and store bag, add 500ml to the bag and let stand. No washing up!
I also do the same thing with couscous and instant noodles.
Jerky and beanfeast type thing are also a staple.
I ready mix porridge into portions with dried milk and sugar into small plastic bags. I quite like raw porridge- just add water.
Porridge is THE trail food. Light, stick-to-gutability and plenty of calories for weight.

Pour and store bags?

Details please!

Best.

da C.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Dehydrated food is all well and good but surly you need to rehydrate it so there is a need to carry the water as well.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Jinsin, if you buy tomato cuppa soups and mix up two of them together they make a good tomato sauce substitute for lightweight camping pasta meals.

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE