Lightweight 2 person tent, dedicated porch and head room?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
Ah, Big Agnes - a brand I thought, for some reason, was only in America. I'll check out what products they make that fit the bill.

I have seen quite a few Naturehikes in reviews, and I must say their Hiby does look good given the proper porch. As does the Opalus, but that looks like it's really quite low so inner+outer head rubbage seems inevitable. What are your thoughts on the quality of Naturehikes?
Big Agnes. https://valleyandpeak.co.uk/collections/big-agnes

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Thank you for the curveball! I must admit, I've disregarded all of their tents due to the price! I'm usually one for 'buy right, buy once', but I think that as most of my tenting is likely to be three season, their bombproofness and 4 season designs may cause heat and condensation issues in e.g. summer? Is the Rogen well ventilated?
Rogen is in their Yellow label category, which means that it’s a three season tent, that’s not meant for snowy conditions and that has more mesh.

It’s got quite agressive catenary cuts along the bottom of the fly to provide lots of ventilation - I’ve yet to decide whether I think they’re too agressive or not. (I don’t like tents where water can bounce up under the fly onto the inner tent during heavy showers. The previous version (pre-2017 I think) had a big gap between the fly and the ground, which I didn’t like the look of. Something to be aware of if buying 2nd hand!)

In addition, the inner tent doors are all mesh. You can also open the top of the porch zips for extra ventilation if needed. Or in good weather, roll the porches back completely if you want. They don’t have vents up high on their yellow label tents it seems, since there won’t be ”any snow blocking the bottom”, so apparently I’m the only one tenting in long grass… :)

I haven’t had a chance to test mine thoroughly but so far it’s been good. Certainly big enough for two larger ppl to be comfortable in and palatial for solo travellers. The porches are deep enough that I have to dive out to reach the zip at the bottom end, but DH who’s got longer arms don’t have that problem.

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Hilleberg Nallo2.
For you alone the Akto might be the better option and it's significantly cheaper.

You will not get the best recommendations if you set a price limit in the beginning. And it isn't sensible to ask about equipment but tell us the price before you got the needed informations.

Most equipment you can get cheap as chips new or slightly used on the military surplus market. And like that you get high end equipment.
Solognac clothing is another way to save money effectively. In other categories the best solutions are often not the most expensive ones. And some of the best items are indeed very cheap, Fiskars X7 or Morakniv Garberg or Opinel No8 Carbone or a Bic lighter for example.
Good bushcraft equipment can be bought very often very cheap.

But Hilleberg has no competition.

There is only one Porsche maker on the tent market and all the others play in the Vauxhall category if they aren't some kind of Lada. If you need a good plastic tent take a Hilleberg tent!

If you currently don't have the money save up and go now with a British army bivvy bag and a used German army poncho or British army shelter sheet somewhere in easier areas until you can afford a Hilleberg tent which is in the long run the cheapest option because they last (different to others) for decades.

If you need for camping grounds or other wind protected areas simply a cheap tent you can buy the cheapest from Decathlon. They are surprisingly good for the incredibly low price. And you get here a lot for your money. But take a British army Goretex bivvy bag or Snugpak SF bivvy bag with you in this case.
The cheap Decathlon tents aren't storm resistant. But it doesn't break immediatly if you know that and hide it behind a wall, rock or hedge.

Most beginners think like you. That's why most tents are offered for approximately 300 to 500 €. They usually aren't worth it!

If you don't need a storm proof tent you can pay far less. If you need a storm proof tent you need a Hilleberg tent. That's it!

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Hilleberg Nallo2.
For you alone the Akto might be the better option and it's significantly cheaper.

You will not get the best recommendations if you set a price limit in the beginning. And it isn't sensible to ask about equipment but tell us the price before you got the needed informations.

Most equipment you can get cheap as chips new or slightly used on the military surplus market. And like that you get high end equipment.
Solognac clothing is another way to save money effectively. In other categories the best solutions are often not the most expensive ones. And some of the best items are indeed very cheap, Fiskars X7 or Morakniv Garberg or Opinel No8 Carbone or a Bic lighter for example.

There is only one Porsche maker on the tent market and all the others play in the Vauxhall category if they aren't some kind of Lada. If you need a good plastic tent take a Hilleberg tent!

If you currently don't have the money save up and go now with a British army bivvy bag and a used German army poncho or British army shelter sheet somewhere in easier areas until you can afford a Hilleberg tent which is in the long run the cheapest option because they last (different to others) for decades.

If you need for camping grounds or other wind protected areas simply a cheap tent you can buy the cheapest from Decathlon. They are surprisingly good for the incredibly low price. And you get here a lot for your money. But take a British army Goretex bivvy bag or Snugpak SF bivvy bag with you in this case.
The cheap Decathlon tents aren't storm resistant. But it doesn't break immediatly if you know that and hide it behind a wall, rock or hedge.

Most beginners think like you. That's why most tents are offered for approximately 300 to 500 €. They usually aren't worth it!

If you don't need a storm proof tent you can pay far less. If you need a storm proof tent you need a Hilleberg tent. That's it!

Thank you for the suggestions Erbswurst - the trouble is the MH100 doesn't have suitable porch space for my uses and the Akto is a 1 person tent, so no good for me. The Nallo does look good, but see below for my comments on this! The Hilleberg tent that most closely matches my criteria (price ignored) is the Nammatj, but that's simply too heavy for my use, the Nallo looks nice though.

I appreciate the advice on buying quality, but I respectfully disagree at this stage in my tenting career. I previously hated ground dwelling, and know that hammocking is my preference whenever that's a possibility. Therefore, this tent will seldom be used, and therefore a Hilleberg would be a waste of money.

Last edited:

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
The shorter pole version is the one I would like for bikepacking.
Yes, it's great they make such a version with the shorter pole lengths, and the slightly additional weight makes sense for a bike.

It appears the Copper Spurs may not do very well in wind? Not talking storms, just general winds like we get throughout the year here in the UK. They don't break, but twist and bend onto you in the tent (if YouTube reviews and comment sections are to be believed).

It's a top contender with the Minipeak XL given the porch space. The MSR Hubba Hubba and Elixr 2 are also winning me over, even if they're not up there with the usable covered porch sections. Need to work out exactly what my tolerance is for pack size now!

Madriverrob

Native
Feb 4, 2008
Whitby , North Yorkshire
Yes indeed, Lanshans have popped up several times. Isn't the porch not really big enough to get all your wet gear off in before getting into the inner tent though? It's hard to tell from the overhead floor plans exactly how useful porch areas are with the outer slants. Have you had any experience with the Lanshan 2's porch?
No sorry , no direct experience .

Reactions: hughtrimble

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Hilleberg Nallo2.

Oh dear :) - Please use words like "in my opinion the XXX tent is best" ; price always forms part of requirement specification and ignoring a person's budget is just 'showing off'. Any of us could have proposed tents that did not meet the budget or the spec. And, many of us have been trekking for many years (in my case over 50) without spending Hilleburg type money; it is not a necessity, just a preference to spend that kind of money.

And please, stop recommending an army poncho as suitable trekking gear for the UK; I've already had to rescue one person that has followed your advice when the weather turned nasty. The poncho is just not big enough for anything other than an emergency shelter.

OK, rant over, I'll go get another cup of coffee now :)

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
You did need to rescue someone who followed my advice to combine a British army bivvy bag or Snugpak SF bivvy bag with a German or other real NATO issued military poncho?

With both bivvy bags and an adequate sleeping bag you don't need any additional shelter for a good nights sleep in all weather conditions below approximately 25°C. That's why they are issued in the British army.

The poncho is just meant to add a bit more comfort, but not really necessary of course -- if you use the bivvy bag correctly. And the British army bivvy bag is self explaining, there aren't many things in the world that are more obvious to use.

Did your tents last for 40 years?
The Hilleberg tents do. And it doesn't matter where, in which weather conditions and how often you use them.

I am surely the member who gave the most low budget recommendations in this forum, isn't it? I do it where it's sensible, and it's nearly always sensible.
But sorry, for a modern all round plastic tent it's sensible to invest the money that was saved when buying the recommended low budget stuff before.

Like this you get the best quality for your given amount of money. That isn't my private opinion but a fact.

And the superior wind and frost resistance and durability of Hilleberg tents is a fact as well.

If someone needs it or not is a different question. Most people don't need a double wall tent at all. That's why I usually recommend to get a good bivvy bag and a real military poncho, or a British army basha and a good rain suit.

Wind and rain we can get in Germany too, by the way. That's why I recommend the stuff above.

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
@hughtrimble
The Nammatj2 with double pole set is constructed for high alpine circumstances, Mount Everest expeditions for example.

I doubt that you need such a robust tent.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Did your tents last for 40 years?
The Hilleberg tents do. And it doesn't matter where, in which weather conditions and how often you use them.

Actually yes; I'm still using it :)

You don't need a Porsche to trek, in fact it's utterly useless for it; the right tool for the job is all that's needed. I've said before, define the spec. (price, use, quality, material. etc. ....) and research equipment that meets it - it's how the whole commercial world goes round whether it's military, civilian, or business.

And surviving a night and having a comfortable night are two completely different things.

Anyway, we should hold this discussion off this very useful thread; I apologise for diverting it.

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Actually yes; I'm still using it :)

You don't need a Porsche to trek, in fact it's utterly useless for it; the right tool for the job is all that's needed. I've said before, define the spec. (price, use, quality, material. etc. ....) and research equipment that meets it - it's how the whole commercial world goes round whether it's military, civilian, or business.

And surviving a night and having a comfortable night are two completely different things.

Anyway, we should hold this discussion off this very useful thread; I apologise for diverting it.
I would not object to a Landy roof tent mind you! But for that I'd need a Landy...

• Haha
Reactions: Broch

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
@hughtrimble
The Nammatj2 with double pole set is constructed for high alpine circumstances, Mount Everest expeditions for example.

I doubt that you need such a robust tent.
That would explain the weight certainly.

I've just looked at the interior specs of the Nallo 2, and it's actually too narrow for the sleeping mats I use with two of us in there. The Nallo 3 is a better fit, but adds weight again on top!

For the bivi/poncho set-up - I know I don't enjoy it, as I tried the Carinthia Observer (milsurp) not even hiking, just static camping for a night, and did not like not having living space. I could have added a tarp, but for that I would have needed poles or trees, which weren't there. When combining the Observer with a tarp plus trekking poles to make a space that I may like, it's very close in pack size and weight to an actual standalone double walled lightweight tent, which I know I would prefer to be in.

I'll be spending a week in a bivi and natural shelter later this year, which I'm rather reticent about! So for this walking trip, I'm looking for a proper tent with livable porch space and light and small pack size.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The Carinthia Observer is constructed for snipers and only for them the best option.
Heavy and expensive like a Hilleberg Akto if bought new but far less comfortable for several reasons.

Apart from the limited space you get condensation moisture in there because you breath into it. That doesn't work properly if you do it for 8 hours, although they use the best available fabric.

If you breath into a tent for 8 hours it must be either a cotton tent or a double wall plastic tent.

The Carinthia Sleeping bag cover, Goretex, is the better choice for the average user and issued to most soldiers in the German army. It's approximately like the Snugpak SF bivvy bag or a British army bivvy bag with central zipper for warm weather. All these allow you to breath outside.

Did you consider changing the insulation mats? I am surely no dwarf but wouldn't carry a 3 man tent around in the rucksack.
That's rather equipment for canoeing or whatever.
If you choose the smallest possible sizes the stuff gets already heavy enough if you have to carry it on your back.

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
The Carinthia Observer is constructed for snipers and only for them the best option.
Heavy and expensive like a Hilleberg Akto if bought new but far less comfortable for several reasons.

Apart from the limited space you get condensation moisture in there because you breath into it. That doesn't work properly if you do it for 8 hours, although they use the best available fabric.

If you breath into a tent for 8 hours it must be either a cotton tent or a double wall plastic tent.

The Carinthia Sleeping bag cover, Goretex, is the better choice for the average user and issued to most soldiers in the German army. It's approximately like the Snugpak SF bivvy bag or a British army bivvy bag with central zipper for warm weather. All these allow you to breath outside.

Did you consider changing the insulation mats? I am surely no dwarf but wouldn't carry a 3 man tent around in the rucksack.
That's rather equipment for canoeing or whatever.
If you choose the smallest possible sizes the stuff gets already heavy enough if you have to carry it on your back.
As I don't plan on doing much tent camping, I'm not looking to change or buy a different sleeping mat as the mats I have are for what I do most, which is hammocking in an Amok. So for my tent use, it's a case of the tent needs to work with my existing Exped mats, not for the tent to adjust other things that I already own, if you understand me.

Very good points on the Observer not being designed for my use. What it taught me though is that I like having living space, and am very willing to make space in my pack and weight allowance to have that extra enjoyment when on my trips, for a suitable, roomy porch tent.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Have a look at Eureka tents.
They seem to be pretty durable.

If you use a tent just one week a year you should try to avoid something that degrades in the storage in less than a decade and costs nevertheless pretty much. Most current tents are made like this.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I have an old Vaude Mark II tent that did a good job of standing up to the winter weather in Snowdonia over many seasons despite not being a "winter tent" and will fit three ppl fine if needed but has loads of room for 2. It's 4 kg, but they do have lightweight and ultra lightweight versions too. Two porches and good head room

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Just a point on materials, polyester takes sun well, polyamide ("nylon") not nearly so. Strength wise not much difference but PA is tougher in use.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE