Lightest Shelter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elenias

Mar 17, 2009
Solihull
Hey guys, I am looking for the warmest/lightest shelter possible for my stay in the Swedish forests.
Should I go for a hammock or a bivvy?

the Hennessey Explorer Delux Hammock looks pretty cool tbh =D

thx

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
As soon as you say forest I jump right into the hammock camp. It may add a little bit of weight but the comfort factor is much higher. The new DD hammock and Tarp dont weigh much and are cheaper than a Hennessey.

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
I'd go hammock and tarp, gets you off the ground, seat in the day bed at night, mozzie net, tarp for when its raining etc.

Hennessey are nice but DD are cheaper.

beat me to it, must type faster. lol

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I would suggest against the hammock. In the summer it might work fine (I've never gotten along witht them myself), but for winter you want plenty of insulation underneath yourself.

In your case I'd pick a shelter that could work with a fire/stove/firebox inside or in front. Easy to say "tentipi 5 or 7 in polycotton", but that is pricy... Make something yourself?

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Forestwalker makes a good point but a Closed Cell Foam mat can be fitted into the double bottom skin of a DD.

The DD web site has all the weights and "Paddys" video on the web site explains all the features.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I'd get a wall tent made from a lightweight fabric, you could use IPK shelter sheets as they are waterproof and very robust. I seem to remember you said you were going for a long trip, having the ability to stand up in your shelter and light a fire in front is a bonus you will be happy of come the colder months. If you are a dab hand with a sewing machine, then I'd imagine some good strong polyester thread and a denim needle would go through the IPK sheets with ease. It doesn't have to be complicated, in fact I have been thinking on making one myself for some time now. As they come in green, IPK sheets will help you blend in too.

gunslinger

Nomad
Sep 5, 2008
Devon
Very interesting. I bought three IPKs because they were only £1.99 each. The idea was always to join them together but didnt really know how to join and seal the join.

So any ideas welcomed
GS

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Very interesting. I bought three IPKs because they were only £1.99 each. The idea was always to join them together but didnt really know how to join and seal the join.

So any ideas welcomed
GS

I'd stitch the walls to the roof but leave a good overhang on the roof, so that the walls are a good few inches from the edge. No doubt there is a silicine based sealant that could be used to smear over the stitching and make the shelter waterproof, but even if it did leak it would be at the edges as there aren't any stitches in the middle of the roof area, so you won't get wet. You could put an eyelet on each corner of the roof and tie it out lioke a tarp at an angle to give the roof the correct run off, and then have pegging loops on the bottom of the walls to peg the walls down or leave them out to put the walls up and leave the air to circulate through.

IPK sheets are very easy to stitch and the seam is easy to waterproof.

I have sewn a couple together using and ordinary household sewing machine using "Jeans" needles. I used an ordinary running stitch to hold it then a zig zag to strengthen it. Sealed it with UHU glue from the poundshop.

Easy peasy.

G

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
Tarp & DD with a mat. The latest DD's are made to be used as a midge net bivvy whilst laying on the floor (imo waterproof & stronger nylon than the older versions). So basically you'll have the best of both world. Midge protection is essential.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
I love the comfort of my hammock, but the aren't the lightest option, and the do take a bit of experimentation to keep warm.
For light and warm, I'd suggest a bivi and tarp combo. With a bivi, you don't need a huge tarp, a 5 foot by 7 foot would do. If you go ultralight, you could get a tarp and bivi weighing under half a kg together.

javi

Forager
Nov 4, 2008
Hampton
You can still do light and warm in a hammock! Search for the StarCocoon hammock quilt and you'll find Wanderinstar's latest design to fit around a hammock - replaces sleeping bag, no sleeping pad required, no compression of insulation below the sleeper, tested & confirmed comfortable down to -10C! OK I am a bit biased but cannot wait for mine to arrive - I don't think a hammock system can be beaten for comfort and versatility, and this bit of kit means you can handle pretty much any UK weather for a decent weight

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
A real, double, woolen blanket is all you need if you're a traditionalist. Warm, waterproof (ish) and comfortable to carry.
If light weight is the goal og to a DIY shop and buy the thickest plastic painter's dust sheet you can find

Elenias

Mar 17, 2009
Solihull
I think I have no other choice than walking around, I dont think I need to move too much every time I move do I?
also I am planning to spend at least 2 seasons out (summer and autumn) and then see how I cope with the autumn to know whether or not I feel able to stay during the summer.
I would probably move down south though.

T1tch

Forager
Dec 24, 2007
Cambridgeshire
I have the Hennesy Explorer Deluxe and 'supershelter' and while cannot say I've used it down to silly cold temperatures - I have used it down to around -5 quite happily.
There's a review of it on their site, where apparently it was used down to -18C...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE