Lighter kit

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
As some of you know I have been trying to lighten my kit.I thought one day "Do I really need my kit to be so tough and heavy,and does it really need to be so hardwearing?"
Well no,it needn't be so tough and heavy but it really does need to be hardwearing.
If it isn't hard wearing then it could fail when you really need it to be working to its best.
In view of the above I have searched around a bit and changed some of my kit for lighter yet still hardwearing kit.
The first thing I changed was my pack,I had what I still consider to be the best and most hardwearing pack in the world(some may disagree) The Berghaus Vulcan.This pack will carry everything you could possibly need for weeks in the woods.Probably why many soldiers the world over buy them.
The biggest and only problem with it is.........IT WEIGHS SIX POUNDS WHEN IT'S EMPTY.That's an awful lot of weight to carry about just to carry other stuff,if you see what I mean.
So the Vulcan was sold and after a lot of research including what I carry,where I go and what I do,I decided on a GOLITE JAM 2 PACK it's a 50 litre pack in medium and 53 litres in large,the difference in size is the back length.I needed a large because of my excessive tallness.The pack weighs in at 1lb 15oz which is good.It's made from recycled materials which is also good , and comes in 3 posh colours which I call green,blue and grey.The manufacturer has some really strange names for these colours.
The pack has 1 main compartment and 3 outer pockets.There is a large pocket on the front of the pack which will hold a full set of water proofs and a bit more,on the side of the sack there are two pockets for holding water bottles,walking poles,tent poles or what ever you can fit,they are pretty big pockets with drain holes in them.
On the waist belt there are also pockets with zips ,for those things you need whilst on the move,they easily hold my cigarettes which I have now given up and have to find something else to put in my pockets.The other pocket holds my camera.
There is no lid on this pack!!!!!!
It has a roll top that is secured with a strap that works very well.
When the pack arrived I thought I had made a mistake as it was so light and felt very flimsy,not to be deterred I filled it with all my kit and tried it out it sits really comfortably on my back and feels quite sturdy.There is a crossweave of dyneema running throughout the whole pack,this is a very strong material but also very light and thin.
On the whole the pack looks very flimsy and without anything in it ,it feels the same.but I get the feeling it's just as strong if not stronger than the Vulcan.
So, the first step to lighter kit has been to shed over 4lbs of excess weight just by using a lighter and maybe stronger pack.
Next I'll tell you how I saved loads of weight by changing my sleeping kit.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Brilliant Chris. I have just moved to the same pack and a down bag. It really is an epiphany. I really look forward going out now knowing I am not going to suffer later and enjoy the experience even more for that. Why I ever carried all that weight until now I'll never know!

Just read the other posts on Sleeping and cooking too - spot on!

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
To be honest the pack I carry now really does feel as if I've left most of it behind.
What woke me up to pack weight was moving my empty pack from one room to another.I looked inside to see what I'd left in it expecting to see my dossbag but it was empty.It was a sit on the bed and think moment,and I wasn't long in realising that my kit was reasonably light to start but became heavy in the pack.The pack had to get lighter,and so it did.The rest followed from there.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I posted a similar thread on another forum asking for advice and most of it was to keep the rucksack and concentrate on the kit carried.
I think that for me it doesn't work that way. If I start off with a heavy bag and chuck stuff in it, I wouldn't notice the difference, but with a Golite bag that weighs next to nothing, everything that gets dropped in the sack makes a noticeable difference and as you say from there on it's a bit addictive, but very rewarding to do.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It's funny how these things go round in circles. I came from a backpacking background before this "being at one with nature" malarky started, I got rid of most of my lightweight kit except for a few favourites and replaced it with thick cottons, heavy steel bits and bobs and all the rest of the paraphernalia needed for a weekend in the woods. Over the last couple of years I've gone full circle just about and have tweaked my bushy kit to a lightweight but still hardy setup.
Getting a nudge towards some of the American forums from Gailainne a couple of years ago really opened my eyes to what can be done in the oiutdoors.

The problem I have now is I have a canoe and everything gets chucked in.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Looking into this myself after a walk in the woods with my Rocketpak full of gear. Realised it was far too much to carry, Pack alone is heavy as I have a medic pouch on and they are heavy. Found an awesome looking pack here.
http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product263.asp
Think that will go a long way to weight reduction, only 35 litres but reckon I can get down to that size with some clever kit thinking...

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Looking into this myself after a walk in the woods with my Rocketpak full of gear. Realised it was far too much to carry, Pack alone is heavy as I have a medic pouch on and they are heavy. Found an awesome looking pack here.
Think that will go a long way to weight reduction, only 35 litres but reckon I can get down to that size with some clever kit thinking...

I almost got one of those, but having got the Golite Jam, I went for this one as it's almost identical but 35 Litres, so packing can be done with a similar rationale.

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/golite_2010_peak_35litre_rucksack.html

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea

I looked at the 45 litre villain from the same stable but also settled on the Jam2 as the compactor system works really well.
Kev have you noticed that the side compression straps will connect from one side of the pack to the strap on the other side .Seems like a good idea and I'm surprised that other manufacturers haven't cottoned on to this.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Kev have you noticed that the side compression straps will connect from one side of the pack to the strap on the other side .Seems like a good idea and I'm surprised that other manufacturers haven't cottoned on to this.
I'd not discovered that, so thanks and I'll be having a play with that tomorrow ;)

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I think it's designed so that you can carry stuff like a roll mat on the outside of the pack,a good idea.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
I too use an OMM pack and they are very light too, i use an OMM 32 mostly when on my bike but i can get a weekend kit in it too

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
OMM is good kit ,very well made and very light.It was a friend who has an OMM pack who put me onto golite.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE