Lightening the load

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Cheers for all the replys gents, I am starting to get a proper understanding now of how to shave of silly amounts of weight off my pack, all that's stopping me now is cash lol!!
Charity shop is a great idea though, and god knows we have plenty of them in March!!
Without realising I have actually got a merino wool jumper at home and I like the feel of it so it's defo the way forward!!!
Cheers
Steve

Podcast Bob

Its a fine balancing act Steve, of weight v cost v needs and there's been some fine suggestions in this thread.

From the few Bushcraft socials and gatherings I've been to, most enthusiasts never walk more than half a mile from their car, and that's fine as they like to enjoy the surroundings with a certain amount of comfort and luxuries.

However, from your OP you seem to be talking about travelling greater distances and still enjoying the trip? I was reading this thread and thinking about my 'standard' gear which really doesn't change much from season to season, or from outdoor activity to activity.

I only use a tent, when I'm probably going to a campsite and require 'security'. Otherwise a tarp and bivvy will do. I keep the cooking down to one pan and a mug, using more often than not Meths or Wood stove mix, then it is just one set of dry and one set of wet clothes, as I find the more clothes I carry 'just in case' increases the pack weight far too much. You carry more, you use more energy and give off more heat, which equals more sweat and misery. As someone righty says, 'wear your clothes don't carry them'.

The dry clothes consist of a base layer, and insulated trousers and smock. I live in the camp in these and then sleep in them too, which uprates the sleeping bag. Therefore a lighter sleeping bag is carried.

I used to start the day, no matter what activity with 3 layers, base, thick fleece and heavy jacket and within 15 minutes it all came off and then the sweat on my body chilled me. So it all went on again, and off, and on and so on. Now my mindset has changed, I start with a base layer and a windshirt and stay like that most of the day. If it is raining I'll swap the shirt for a jacket and if it's really cold, I walk faster!

I leave off the rain pants unless it is teaming, as my legs also give off heat and they keep the trousers dry mostly. The same goes for shoes, gone are the boots (unless I hacking through dense forest) and I always wear lightweight trainers or boots. A pound on the foot is pound on the back. And once again, less heat is generated.

The bottom line is now my base weight of pack, inlcuding a few toys like knife, lantern and camera gear comes in around 8kg.

Bushcraft gear generally is heavier duty equipment, which weighs more. It is up to you whether you really need that durability. Although the military style look and big packs are popular, when was the last time you treated yourself or gear to that kind of punishment? The balance is finding maximum enjoyment out of what you have. Therefore try something less heavy duty from the charity shop and if it works, don't fix it. The 'just in case' pile is always the heaviest, and strict discipline is needed to eliminate those items. However surely the best bit about the bushcraft approach to outdoor living is being able to adapt and overcome?

I'm sure you'll manage (and enjoy it more) with less, you just have to work out how!

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I have been caught out on a 7 day walk with a lightweight rucksac only for a shoulder strap to fall apart. So sometimes the bombproof versions are worth a small bit of extra weight. Likewise a good nights rest in a good sleeping bag.

Harb505

Forager
Nov 22, 2011
Lincolnshire
Ok, sorry for keeping this thread going on and on, but how about food?
I have recently bought myself a vacum packing machine and still havnt got round to using it, I have often thought about the freeze dried foods, but they are incredibally expensive ( edit,I think I am tight lol)
Again this can be a right mass of weight if you let it, I do like JErky and the supernoodles type stuff but there has surly gotta be a better way to eat out there?
For me, a good meal and a good nights sleep make all the difference between a good trip and a great trip!!
Cheers again for the help guys
Steve
Having same issue here I usually eat Logan bread (home made at about 450 Cals per 100g :)), noodles, cup a soup and porridge. Can't really push for a dehydrator at the min, has anyone got an idea where i can buy cheap dehydrated veg? and any suggestions what meat products might keep well in my pack for 4 days in temperatures of up to 24*C? I keep meaning to do beef jerky in the oven but havn't got round to it yet.
thanks

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I have been caught out on a 7 day walk with a lightweight rucksac only for a shoulder strap to fall apart. So sometimes the bombproof versions are worth a small bit of extra weight. Likewise a good nights rest in a good sleeping bag.

Lightweight doesn't always mean flimsy or less robust, I use a Crux AK47 pack for most of my longer walks, tough as old nails it is.
Sleeping bags though, you cannot beat a good chunky sleeping bag. :)

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Its a fine balancing act Steve, of weight v cost v needs and there's been some fine suggestions in this thread.

From the few Bushcraft socials and gatherings I've been to, most enthusiasts never walk more than half a mile from their car, and that's fine as they like to enjoy the surroundings with a certain amount of comfort and luxuries.

However, from your OP you seem to be talking about travelling greater distances and still enjoying the trip? I was reading this thread and thinking about my 'standard' gear which really doesn't change much from season to season, or from outdoor activity to activity.

I only use a tent, when I'm probably going to a campsite and require 'security'. Otherwise a tarp and bivvy will do. I keep the cooking down to one pan and a mug, using more often than not Meths or Wood stove mix, then it is just one set of dry and one set of wet clothes, as I find the more clothes I carry 'just in case' increases the pack weight far too much. You carry more, you use more energy and give off more heat, which equals more sweat and misery. As someone righty says, 'wear your clothes don't carry them'.

The dry clothes consist of a base layer, and insulated trousers and smock. I live in the camp in these and then sleep in them too, which uprates the sleeping bag. Therefore a lighter sleeping bag is carried.

I used to start the day, no matter what activity with 3 layers, base, thick fleece and heavy jacket and within 15 minutes it all came off and then the sweat on my body chilled me. So it all went on again, and off, and on and so on. Now my mindset has changed, I start with a base layer and a windshirt and stay like that most of the day. If it is raining I'll swap the shirt for a jacket and if it's really cold, I walk faster!

I leave off the rain pants unless it is teaming, as my legs also give off heat and they keep the trousers dry mostly. The same goes for shoes, gone are the boots (unless I hacking through dense forest) and I always wear lightweight trainers or boots. A pound on the foot is pound on the back. And once again, less heat is generated.

The bottom line is now my base weight of pack, inlcuding a few toys like knife, lantern and camera gear comes in around 8kg.

Bushcraft gear generally is heavier duty equipment, which weighs more. It is up to you whether you really need that durability. Although the military style look and big packs are popular, when was the last time you treated yourself or gear to that kind of punishment? The balance is finding maximum enjoyment out of what you have. Therefore try something less heavy duty from the charity shop and if it works, don't fix it. The 'just in case' pile is always the heaviest, and strict discipline is needed to eliminate those items. However surely the best bit about the bushcraft approach to outdoor living is being able to adapt and overcome?

I'm sure you'll manage (and enjoy it more) with less, you just have to work out how!

Hi Bob, thanks for the advice there mate, your aboluely right, I want a comfortable weight so that I can cover some distance, although the sort of distances I cover will be Knowhere near the sort of stuff you and other guys on here cover!!
I no exactly what you mean about the tarp and bivvy combo, and eventually I can see this may be the route I take, along with maybe a hammock, but for now I like the privicey and security I feel I get from a tent, and from a weight perspective I think its worth it!!
Definately down with the wood stove idea, in fact the Honey stove looks perfect, (I must give you a call Lol) but where in the past I have fallen down is by taking a spare coleman F1 lite stove and small gas canister just in case I need it, and I guess for the couple of hundred grams they take up it may seem worth the extra weight, but this is exactly how the weight starts mountain up I guess!!
Defo into the merino, although its proving difficult to find short sleeve base layers, most are long sleeved and also seem to be cheaper than the short sleeve ones I have found so far!!
I am currently watching some down gilets on Ebay and figure these would make good camp clothes for after you stop.
Slowly Im getting, very slowly indeed lol
Cheers
Steve

Last edited:

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
Sorry to interrupt the thread, for short sleeve base layers, try Field and Trek (Sports Direct), I've got a few of these:

http://www.fieldandtrek.com/campri-thermal-t-shirt-mens-402018

GoOutdoors also have a few but they're around £20, I figure for £5 the Campri ones are a steal.

Weigh next to nowt and bloody warm, I often go hiking with just 2 of these and a fleece on and i'm toasty as hell and more often than not end up taking 1 off.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Sorry to interrupt the thread, for short sleeve base layers, try Field and Trek (Sports Direct), I've got a few of these:

http://www.fieldandtrek.com/campri-thermal-t-shirt-mens-402018

GoOutdoors also have a few but they're around £20, I figure for £5 the Campri ones are a steal.

Weigh next to nowt and bloody warm, I often go hiking with just 2 of these and a fleece on and i'm toasty as hell and more often than not end up taking 1 off.

Hi LIster, thanks for the heads up mate, its actually Merino tops base layer tops I was reffering to, but thanks to your link I may have just found my new weekend tent!!!
Cheers
Steve

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
A quick question for the Merino wearers who have given me some truly brilliant ideas so far!!
Field and Trek, the link that Lister put on here actually have a few Merino tops in there at pretty good prices, but what I have noticed is that they are not 100% Merino wool, they are normally between 40-60% merino and another material, here is an example - http://www.fieldandtrek.com/nike-thermal-wool-half-zip-top-mens-452040

My question is, do the tops need to be 100% wool to get the best effect ie keeping the odours under control etc, or will 40% do the job?

Keep up the great advice people, it truly is invaluable!!!
Cheers
Steve

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Any percentage of wool is going to be an improvement over regular poly layers Steve, with that Nike top you'll be 41% less smelly :)

Have a look at the Trekmates stuff for an extra £10

Last edited:

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Just another viewpoint here from someone that does not like wool at all.

It will also be worth trying on some other baselayer's, as anything but wool will wick away moisture better rather than hold it and stay soggy.
I've been using these baselayers for around a year now and they have been fantastic.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/craft-zero-extreme-round-neck-long-sleeve-base-layer/

They're extremely lightweight, pack into a pouch around gold ball size and best of all if you wring them out well they dry within 30 mins on a warm windy day.

Many here love wool, but there are also many of us that really do not like the stuff, so you really need to try and see what you prefer.
If your active i honestly believe that a synthetic layer would be better.

For me personally i'd sooner go out in a cotton tee-shirt or stay home rather than have to wear wool.

As i say though try them both and make your own mind up.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Just another viewpoint here from someone that does not like wool at all.

It will also be worth trying on some other baselayer's, as anything but wool will wick away moisture better rather than hold it and stay soggy.
I've been using these baselayers for around a year now and they have been fantastic.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/craft-zero-extreme-round-neck-long-sleeve-base-layer/

They're extremely lightweight, pack into a pouch around gold ball size and best of all if you wring them out well they dry within 30 mins on a warm windy day.

Many here love wool, but there are also many of us that really do not like the stuff, so you really need to try and see what you prefer.
If your active i honestly believe that a synthetic layer would be better.

For me personally i'd sooner go out in a cotton tee-shirt or stay home rather than have to wear wool.

As i say though try them both and make your own mind up.

Cheers for the link pal, I have had a good look round the site and there is some really good stuff on there!! They dont appear to have much in my sixe though (FB lol)
The thing I have noticed everywhere is there definately is a massive difference in price between the merino and poly/whatever top!!
Do you find yourself or your clothing a bit smelly after a day or 2 if you have not had the chance to wash your tops?
But I guess for that pack size and weight it really isnt an issue packing a couple of spares just in case!!
Cheers
Steve

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Check out this British company Embers Merino. Fashionable, technical and affordable. Rose and I have been really impressed with them this last year.

http://www.embersmerino.com/

Again thanks for the link Bob, I very much like the zip up mid layers they are selling on there!! Do you find they wash up well?
It really is proving difficult to find decent short sleeve base layers though, in your experience, are they not very popular or something?
For me it makes perfect sense to buy a short sleeved ase layer and use it on its own for summer as the short sleeves will keep you cool, and then in the winter use it as a base layer and build on top of it!!
Where as if you buy a long sleeve top you nay not wear it in hot weather!!
Cheers
Steve

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Cheers for the link pal, I have had a good look round the site and there is some really good stuff on there!! They dont appear to have much in my sixe though (FB lol)
The thing I have noticed everywhere is there definately is a massive difference in price between the merino and poly/whatever top!!
Do you find yourself or your clothing a bit smelly after a day or 2 if you have not had the chance to wash your tops?
But I guess for that pack size and weight it really isnt an issue packing a couple of spares just in case!!
Cheers
Steve

Not personally nope, but to be honest i don't tend to smell much, even after a good sweat.

Absolutely no idea why, as i can smell my bro 20 meters away after the exact same hike.
To balance it out, unless i chew a gum or brush my teeth midday my breath does stink and his doesn't, weird.

It's a tough call.

In my experience with merino your sweat will stay in the fabric a LOT longer, but the fabric doesn't have a tendency to smell.
I'm in no doubt a polyester type base layer will wick all but the worst sweat away, but it has more of a tendency to smell.

You speak to some guys here and they'd sooner swim through a blazing pit of glass than wear man-made polyester type fibres, others like me prefer them over wool.
Only way to know is try them on and see what you think.

To my way of thinking, if a poly baselayer smells worse then in summer you can wash it at night and it'll be dry by the morning.
In the winter it'll have 2 layers over it so no one will smell it anyways :lmao:

In all seriousness though it's really whatever works for you, there are no right, wrong or best for everyone choices.

tinderbox

Forager
Feb 22, 2007
East Lothian
Again thanks for the link Bob, I very much like the zip up mid layers they are selling on there!! Do you find they wash up well?
It really is proving difficult to find decent short sleeve base layers though, in your experience, are they not very popular or something?
For me it makes perfect sense to buy a short sleeved ase layer and use it on its own for summer as the short sleeves will keep you cool, and then in the winter use it as a base layer and build on top of it!!
Where as if you buy a long sleeve top you nay not wear it in hot weather!!
Cheers
Steve

The advantage of long sleeves is they can be rolled up to keep cool, with short sleeves you have to add a layer when you get cool. Base layers with zip necks are similarly more versatile. There's also the advantage that long sleeves protect your arm from midge bites. Go for a lighter colour for a summer base layer.

Some of the very fine grade merinos will dry almost as quickly as lycra, but they offer little protection from the sun. If you're looking to go to places like the Cairngorms that can be important, because even at 4,000 feet the UV from the sun is significantly stronger than at sea level.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE