Lightening the load

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I like making things up as I go from the ingredients which can include;

Chorizo sausage
Block of cheese
Mattesson smokey sausages
Jerky
Olive oil/butter

Cous-cous
Packet pasta/rice meals
Potato farls
Maize wraps
Milk powder
Instant porridge
Dried onion
Wheatgerm (fantastic for keeping the biting insects away)
Dried veg

Gorp
Chocolate w nuts
Sweet waffles
Custard powder
Dried fruit
Flapjacks
Malt loaf-the best pack food ever.

Marmite (the best food for keeping insects away)
A tiny spice box with all sorts in
Instant coffee(loads, I like coffee :))
Milk powder
Fructose (dont like sweeteners much)
Garlic powder.

I keep meaning to do boil in the bag rations, but I like swapping and changing as I fancy stuff. I'll will add to it too if I put a nice fat trout next to the stove. Every trip, my percentage of cooked food goes down in favour of ready stuff too as it saves on cooking, cleaning and fuel.

Last edited:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I really am starting to get a good idea of exactly where Im heading and certainly what Im doing wrong lol!!!

You're not doing anything wrong and, as others will testify, there's no one way of doing it ;) . You're making a transition from _this_ to _that_ and it's quite possible that you'll end up enjoying doing _this and that_ :D :cool: .

how about food?

Have you made friends with YouTube? ~ Link to Mr Babel fish 5. There's plenty of info from others too :) .

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
Its good to no the Solo tent did ok for you mate, I do love the look of the Zephyros tent but for now its a little out of my price, I think I may treat myself to the Solo for now, Im sure in the future when I upgrade it I will be able to do someone else in a similar situation a favour and sell it on cheap!!

I still seem to be struggling with an answer on the wool base layers, is that something you can wear all year round or just when its a bit colder?

Rucksack wise, now the 1 I have at the mo is very heavy indeed, Im not sure off the top of my head but I no that it is, again In my opinion thats summit I can get later once I have got the pack weight down a bit!!

Sleeping bag is a whole different story lol, I have been using 2 Tesco down bags and a microfleece liner for when its cold, 1 bag on its own is fine for summer use, in fact its prob too warm, but it does pack down very small and Im happy with it, I have been looking on various websites for a 4 season 1 that I can use this time of year and believe it or not go outdoors own make 4 season bag comes in at pretty good value for money, its a litle on the heavy side but after spending nights out being way too cold and ice on the outside of my bag that is a comprimise Im happy to make!
Cheers
Steve

Well only you can make the judgement as to whether or not the solo is for you. personally I think it's a bit on the small side to use as a permanent tent, but it was pretty good for something as cheap and lightweight. I would say that it's probably no good for a winter tent as the fibreglass poles can become brittle and snap.

Alternatively, you could try a tarp/ hiking pole combination? A bit more exposed than a tent, but a lot lighter. You can use polycryo sheet as a groundsheet (very cheap and lightweight, pretty strong but just a bit noisy). Usually you can pick them up from any DIY/hardware store.

In regards to the wool baselayers, yes you can wear them all year round, they just come in different weights. Personally I prefer polyester style baselayers though, as I find that the woolen ones are pretty itchy (I have sensitive skin). Also the polyester tends to dry quicker.

Edit: Shewies suggestion of getting a silnylon tarp as an addition to the solo would be pretty good. If you used it as an awning almost, you would get enough porch space to cook and store gear. I found the solo had just enough room to stash a rucksack underneath the fly, but you needed to stuff it into a black sack to stop it from getting wet.

Last edited:

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
You certainly no how to live in the wilds Damo!!!
Remind me to camp close to you atthenext meet lol

Some interesting stuff there though fella, some definate food for thought!!

Cheers
Steve

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I like making things up as I go from the ingredients which can include;

Chorizo sausage
Block of cheese
Mattesson smokey sausages
Jerky
Olive oil/butter

Cous-cous
Packet pasta/rice meals
Potato farls
Maize wraps
Milk powder
Instant porridge
Dried onion
Wheatgerm (fantastic for keeping the biting insects away)
Dried veg

Gorp
Chocolate w nuts
Sweet waffles
Custard powder
Dried fruit
Flapjacks

Marmite (the best food for keeping insects away)
A tiny spice box with all sorts in
Instant coffee(loads, I like coffee :))
Milk powder
Fructose (dont like sweeteners much)
Garlic powder.

I keep meaning to do boil in the bag rations, but I like swapping and changing as I fancy stuff. I'll will add to it too if I put a nice fat trout next to the stove. Every trip, my percentage of cooked food goes down in favour of ready stuff too as it saves on cooking, cleaning and fuel.

Would that be fresh butter or 'aged to perfection' varity???? lmao!!!!

This is all your fault Pete, I was quite happy with the back breaking load until you showed me the light lol
Cheers
Steve

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
You're not doing anything wrong and, as others will testify, there's no one way of doing it ;) . You're making a transition from _this_ to _that_ and it's quite possible that you'll end up enjoying doing _this and that_ :D :cool: .

Have you made friends with YouTube? ~ Link to Mr Babel fish 5. There's plenty of info from others too :) .

Hi Phil, yeah Im a big fan of Youtube mate, i didnt even think about that tbh!!!
I have watched a few of Mr babel fish's vids, he does some great stuff with the Swedish army Trangia!! Deep fried chicken if I remember correctly!!!
Cheers
STeve

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Well only you can make the judgement as to whether or not the solo is for you. personally I think it's a bit on the small side to use as a permanent tent, but it was pretty good for a cheap light tent. I would say that it's probably no good for a winter tent as the fibreglass poled can become brittle and snap.

Alternatively, you could try a tarp/ hiking pole combination? A bit more exposed than a tent, but a lot lighter. You can use polycryo sheet as a groundsheet (very cheap and lightweight, pretty strong but just a bit noisy). Usually you can pick them up from any DIY/hardware store.

In regards to the wool baselayers, yes you can wear them all year round, they just come in different weights. Personally I prefer polyester style baselayers though, as I find that the woolen ones are pretty itchy (I have sensitive skin). Also the polyester tends to dry quicker.

Gotta have the sealed in ground sheet mate, or else the midges will be having a bloody party on me!!! and trust me there is plenty to go round lol!!!

I do no what you mean though, the downside of a tent that small is that if the weather is rotten then you are stuck in a real confined space!! Unless you go with someone who is hammocking and gate crash there living area lol!!

Again the polyester debate about drying sems to be a very valid one, but again if you go down that route, and correct me if Im wrong please, you have the old thing about the bacteria making the clothes amell and stuff after a couple of days, whereas with the wool you dont??
But then again I guess its easily washed!!
Do the prices between morino and good poly tops differ much?
Cheers for the advice mate
Steve

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
Gotta have the sealed in ground sheet mate, or else the midges will be having a bloody party on me!!! and trust me there is plenty to go round lol!!!

I do no what you mean though, the downside of a tent that small is that if the weather is rotten then you are stuck in a real confined space!! Unless you go with someone who is hammocking and gate crash there living area lol!!

Again the polyester debate about drying sems to be a very valid one, but again if you go down that route, and correct me if Im wrong please, you have the old thing about the bacteria making the clothes amell and stuff after a couple of days, whereas with the wool you dont??
But then again I guess its easily washed!!
Do the prices between morino and good poly tops differ much?
Cheers for the advice mate
Steve

Yes you're right, poly tends to smell a bit more (although you can get some with anti bacterial propeties). But I just put up with it, take a small can of deodorant! I think people wash far too much these days, what's wrong with a bit of dirt, boosts your immune system!

In my experience merino tends to be more expensive, but then it does tend to be better at heat regulation. I suggest you go into an outdoor store and try on some merino wool and polyester tops/bottoms. See how they feel to you and decide which you like best. Comfort is most important in my opinion. If they are equally as comfortable, you can way up the cost vs benefits and decide which is best for you.

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
If you are dubious about wool base layers - try silk base layers from Patra as someone else has already suggested.
Silk is warm in winter, cool in summer has natural anti-bacterial properties, easy to wash, quick drying, packs very small and is very light. That ticks a lot of boxes for me.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I quite enjoyed your week old butter on that Soreen :)

No Rich, when he took the lid off this particular 'vintage' it was quite literally jumping out of the tub lol!!!
So what did Pete do.............
Little scrap, bunged it in the fry pan jobs a good un!!!!
However, later that night his a++ehole disagreed lmao!!!!

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
If you are dubious about wool base layers - try silk base layers from Patra as someone else has already suggested.
Silk is warm in winter, cool in summer has natural anti-bacterial properties, easy to wash, quick drying, packs very small and is very light. That ticks a lot of boxes for me.

Sorry Peaks, I must have missed that post about silk!!!
Very interesting indeed!!!!
How does it match up cost wise?? silk boxers certainly sound far more appealing than woolen lol!!!
Is there any major downfalls with silk?
Cheers for the advice pal
STeve

_mark_

Settler
May 3, 2010
Google Earth
Get yourself round the charity shops jumper section for merino, friend of mine with time on his hands gets some incredible bargains 2-3 quid. Have a look at Andrew Skurka's kit lists, he travels some mind-boggling distances in the harshest climates with about 4kg of kit (excluding food and water).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE