Lightening the load

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Suffolksteve

Forager
May 24, 2010
Suffolk
I have been following this thread with interest as I have recently bought a merino base and was questioning whether I had spent my money wisely.

But now the boots have popped up I do have a question which ties in enough to not start a new thread.

I currently use Merrell chameleon wrap slam 2s which have been very comfy, but only my last trip out I was going through some woods, tripped several times and almost twisted my ankle (which would have ruined my day), all the while wishing I had more support. Most of my trips are on or via paths of some variety. So which boots? I need them to be supportive, cheap and light weight.

I was looking at some german army para boots are they are supportive and cheap, but seem heavy. Any good cheap boots? Or am I asking for a titanium pot for £5? Any advice and guidance would be appreciated.

Harb505

Forager
Nov 22, 2011
Lincolnshire
In some ways I also prefer trainers (Hedgehog 3's in my case) to boots. I find I trust the more when scrambling and can get a better feel for the rocks with them plus they are incredibally light and are a brilliant cross country running shoe.
But just about to go out and test my boots that have come back from repair though and intend to use them for Tryfan when I next go - maybe the east face this time and around Fort William/ Ben Nevis in the summer.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Does anyone know if there is anything out there like this... a sort of Gore-tex over boot shell with a rubber sole with strap fasteners that could be slipped over whatever foot wear you are using to make a totally waterproof covering?
Would be great to have a pair of these as I like trainers but they are pants in the wet so having something to slip over them i the wet would be great?

Steve.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Does anyone know if there is anything out there like this... a sort of Gore-tex over boot shell with a rubber sole with strap fasteners that could be slipped over whatever foot wear you are using to make a totally waterproof covering?
Would be great to have a pair of these as I like trainers but they are pants in the wet so having something to slip over them i the wet would be great?

Steve.

Neos Overshoes

These should fit the bill. :)

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Tough one for footwear, again it really depends on where your walking, how far, in what conditions and over what terrain.

If i'm doing under 6 miles on a nice day without much weight in my pack then i wear them there funny looking shoes with toes (5-fingers they're called)

309034_10150363734409851_663129850_.jpg

They do take some getting used to and they're terrible over rocky terrain, but they do seem to find grip my trainers and boots don't.

For rock terrain, long walks and walks with heavier packs there is nothing that i've tried that is better than a decent pair of walking boots.
I've been wearing a pair of The North Face Syncline GTX boots for over a year now and they've been by far the best boots i've used.

206415901.jpg

Be warned though boots are 99% subjective in that what feels great on 1 pair of feet might feel tight or loose on another, so no matter what footwear you choose it's absolutely essential you try them on and have a GOOD walk about the shop in them first.

With regards to trainers, again it depends on the terrain.
On flay even surfaces carrying little weight they can be great, even hiking uphills they can be great.
For me though they become excruciatingly painful on downhills, as there is very little strength or support in most trainers.
This also includes many of the "approach shoe" types i've tried.

For sandals, living in Greece i wear sandals for pretty much 4 months of the year, they're an absolute nightmare off-road though as they offer no toe protection from bushes, nettles, rocks etc, and i'm for ever having to stop to pick out small stones that have wedged between my foot and the sandal.

My advice would be to nip to your local outdoors shop and try on as many boots as you can.
Try on boots that are wayyyyyyyyy over your budget and the cheapest, you "should" then be able to have a rough idea how various boots feel and what support they offer.
If you find a pair that you like then it's always worth bargaining with them for a lower price.

It's also important to wear the sort of socks you'll walk in while trying on the boots.
It's no good buying a pair of winter boots that only fit great with thin summer socks.

For me i'm more of a walker than a bushcrafter, so to me boots are THE single most important bit of kit i own.
They are the difference between and enjoyable walk and a painful hobble, again in my mind i consider a good pair of boots more an investment than a cost.

One last thing,
What ever foot wear you choose it's important to build up the mileage in them to see at what sort of differences they start to get uncomfortable.
I'm speaking from experience where i've physically been unable to put my new boots back on because my feet swelled THAT much.

tinderbox

Forager
Feb 22, 2007
East Lothian
One last thing,
What ever foot wear you choose it's important to build up the mileage in them to see at what sort of differences they start to get uncomfortable.
I'm speaking from experience where i've physically been unable to put my new boots back on because my feet swelled THAT much.

Which brings us to the old advice of buying boots, and shoes, at the end of the day when the feet are a bit swollen.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
If i'm doing under 6 miles on a nice day without much weight in my pack then i wear them there funny looking shoes with toes (5-fingers they're called)

309034_10150363734409851_663129850_.jpg

They do take some getting used to and they're terrible over rocky terrain, but they do seem to find grip my trainers and boots don't.

Ive got the ultralight version of those...

c3ed04d4.jpg

They are wearing pretty well so far and fit is great...

rg598

Native
With respect to boots, I have a pair by Solomon. I'm not sure of the exact model, but they are fairly high, and clearly boots. They have a Goretex lining.

With boots it really depends on your feet and where you walk. I got this pair because it felt right. I'm sure other people will find it uncomfortable. Also, the terrain where I hike and camp is very rocky. Because of that I like a boot with a thick sole, but because I do not carry heavy weights, I like it to be flexible. It will be different for each person.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire

Steve.

Why not live with the wet feet when you're moving and expect them to dry, take a spare pair of dry socks and maybe some light Sealskinz in case the shoes don't dry.

My Neos would work over trainers but it's a bit of a daft combination, they're more for playing in powder snow

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Gents, just wanna say thanks for all your help regarding this topic, I have asked a shed load of questions and all of you have given us some invaluable advice!!!

I really am starting the idea of this lightweight stuff, I just need to cut right down n the 'luxury' item lol!!

Ok we have covered most stuff, now the next bone of contention lol, what cook/mess kits do you guys use??
I have been looking at the Tatonka 1.6 litre kettle, and although as Shewie quite rightly pointed out to me, its not all that light weight!! But at 400grams, and the idea of having a good billy and a fry pan in 1 realy does appeal!!
That in conjunction with a Honey stove or the like will make a great little set!!
What are your thoughts?
The 1 thing I am very anal about is boiling my water in a kettle lol!! I have got a little ally kettle that holds 500ml and weighs nothing, takes no room at all and in my opinon defo worth the space it takes!!

Again, thanks ever so much for all your advice, you have totally changed the way I am thinking about things.
All the best
Steve

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I think you are going to get a lot of different answers bud!

I think there are 2 tracks to go down-cooking over a fire or cooking over a stove.

For fire cooking, the billys will do best.

For lightweight backpacking and cooking over a stove, I'd personally go with lightweight stuff. A big stainless billy is a luxury unless all cooking is done over a fire., which is hard/impossible to do in the mountains

I use Trangia 27 pans for backpacking, non-stick and uncoated. They weigh 83g each and I use an old thin ally plate as a lid. I'm going to try to use an MSR Titan kettle this year(125g) with no other pots and do the boil in the bag thing to save on weight, bulk and washing pots.

I hardly ever miss or use a frying pan and don't bother with one unless it a boat trip. After the first day or 2, all the bacon and eggs have gone and its just pack ballast :)

I'm hoping the Titan kettle will do the job of a kettle, pot and mug. Up until now I've taken an 800ml seperate DIY mug (24g)-as you know mate, I luuuurve my coffee :)

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Been using a titan kettle for years on backpacking trips.I make my own boil in the bags and buy some,I also use dehydrated meals.The biggest problem I had was the bulk of my cook kit for this type of cooking.
I have changed to an evernew solo cookset now.The whole caboodle including cup,stove,gas,foldingspork,windsheild and brew kit all fits into the one pot.It';s tiny ,yet sees me okay for food and brews for a weekend with just 1 X 100g gas canister.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I think you are going to get a lot of different answers bud!

I think there are 2 tracks to go down-cooking over a fire or cooking over a stove.

For fire cooking, the billys will do best.

For lightweight backpacking and cooking over a stove, I'd personally go with lightweight stuff. A big stainless billy is a luxury unless all cooking is done over a fire., which is hard/impossible to do in the mountains

I use Trangia 27 pans for backpacking, non-stick and uncoated. They weigh 83g each and I use an old thin ally plate as a lid. I'm going to try to use an MSR Titan kettle this year(125g) with no other pots and do the boil in the bag thing to save on weight, bulk and washing pots.

I hardly ever miss or use a frying pan and don't bother with one unless it a boat trip. After the first day or 2, all the bacon and eggs have gone and its just pack ballast :)

I'm hoping the Titan kettle will do the job of a kettle, pot and mug. Up until now I've taken an 800ml seperate DIY mug (24g)-as you know mate, I luuuurve my coffee :)

The titan will indeed do those three jobs and do them well.

Harb505

Forager
Nov 22, 2011
Lincolnshire
So all of this talk about light weight kit where are the lines actualy drawn regarding heavy weight, average, light and ultralight pack base weights?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE