light weight saving kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I once saw an episode of blue peter which involved an expedition to everest base camp.The Sherpas carried as little personal kit as they had to as they had the laborious task of carrying the B.P crews kit up the mountains! They were shown shaving with half a cup of water and a traditional razor blade(the rectangular type used before disposibles) The blade was made into a usable razor simply by pushing the index finger through the slot in the middle.Never tried it myself but food for thought for those who wish to travel very light. :eek:\:

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Maybe it was one of the crew's razor :-D :-D

sargey said:
:yikes: if i want to go that light, i'll just not bother shaving :lol:

cheers, and.

Bagheera

Forager
Jan 8, 2004
The Netherlands
home.kabelfoon.nl
Hi guys (and girls?),

If somebody is going to order the Avid4 from moderngent perhaps he/she could order 5 of them for 2.50 BP a piece and send 2 to me in the Netherlands and I'll send over 6 BP (or 7 BP if postage is higher then 1 BP).

Looks like a nice solution.

I have been searching for ages for a small razor that was housed in a little tube, the size of a lipbalm stick and by just turning at the bottom rim the razor turned out and got up into the right position.
But the Avid4 looks real nice AND holds 4 blades as opposed to only one for the tube thingy I mentioned above.

Best Scouting wishes from Holland,

Bagheera

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
While I appreciate the need to keep weight to a minimum, don't you think there's a danger here of becoming obsessive?

I'm as much of a gadget freak as the next bloke (and believe me, the next bloke loves gadgets) but I feel that if you can't find room/weight allowance for a couple of Bic disposables you might want to reconsider some of the other gear your carrying. It reminds me rather of reading about some ultra lightweight types who sawed the handles off their toothbrushes... Just a tad OTT. Anyhow, being truthful the ultimate bushcraft/survival solution has to be the old fashioned open razor, does it not? No waste, keep it in trim with the same kit as you use for your knife.

Nick in Belfast

Bagheera

Forager
Jan 8, 2004
The Netherlands
home.kabelfoon.nl
Great Pebble,

Good question, I wouldn't even carry a shaving kit in my Survival kit, I have a beard but need to clean up 'the lines' when I'm out on business trips.

I always try to use the smallest (cary on) suitcase and when I start packing my travel kit which is a small bag with mesh front I get confronted with large heavy glass aftershave bottle, deodorant, super dooper big razor etc.

So I develloped a small nessecities travel kit using small plastic containers for soap, hairwash, mouthwater, body/hand cream, I use a crystal deodorant.
I also use a small bottle with shaving oil that works extremely nice with just 3 drops and I would love a small razor which holds spare heads without them lying loose in the kit bag but protected and one that isn't taking up a lot of space.

I confess I also carry an foldable toothbrush and have a small tube of toothpaste.
I'm talking business travel survival here not a Survival kit.

But what I wrote also applies to a truckload of other devices we carry/use, why would we otherwise have mobile phones that are so tiny that I almost need a pencil to press the buttons, so I use pre-programmed voice commands. Photo camera's, shortwave travel radios, video camera's, mp3 players etc. is the same thing.
Everything gets smaller and people buy smaller not bigger

Cheers,

Bagheera

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
the benift of the AVID4 system is not that it is lighter than a bic just that it is a far more convenient shape

it is totally flat and unnoticable in a shirt pocket

and because the blade is packed away it does not pick up fluff etc or get snapped off

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
hey why not go "desparate dan" and blowtorch off your stubble! :f:

i heard than native american indians used to shave by plucking the hairs with clam shells tweezer fashion :shock: !

there is a US army idea i have come across! i shall try to find the link:

in US army rations they get a plastic spoon, the idea being on the handle end you would have a brush for teeth, and some plastic shapes molded to hold a disposable razor blade the other side of the brush!

only an idea but a damn good one if you ask me! :biggthump

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
here is the link

http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Quarters/2116/spork.htm

very american with music too if yoiu turn your speakers on!

if you take the time to look down the page you will see a couple more ideas as well.

our thoughts are lowering our weight so we can be more self sufficient for longer periods thier thinking is lower weight/bulk equals more space for ammo!

yee har!!!! :AR15firin :eek:):

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
I also bring along a straight razor, sharpen with my honing stone, strop it on my boot. Don't need to shave that often every second day or so, my French grandfather was quite hairy in the face :lmao:
Also would be good to preform surgery if needed :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE