light weight saving kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Carcajou Garou said:
I also bring along a straight razor, sharpen with my honing stone, strop it on my boot. Don't need to shave that often every second day or so, my French grandfather was quite hairy in the face :lmao:
Also would be good to preform surgery if needed :(
Ah yes, maybe take along an extra boot for use as a strop :)

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Ehhh.....I use one of those old rectangular "double-edge" razors for shaving, too. I picked it up at an antique store for $10 dollars. It's solid gold plated, and I had it dated circa: 1955, the year my Father was born. I started shaving with the DE in lieu of the modern cartridge types, Mach 3, Sensor Excel, etc... because they made my face look like raw hamburger meat with stubble on it.

So yeah, I admit, I've got a fetish for old-fasioned materials......

1) Ventile

2) Mechanical watches

3) Double Edge razors

4) Zippo lighters

5) Brushless shavecream and/or shave soap with a mug and a brush

:D

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I'd totally recommend going down the shaving oil route - much lighter, more compact, all natural and less packaging. Works good too - although I may be a bad test case, as I used to shave with just water for years before I discovered shaving oil.

As for shaving when out and about - I never do it. In fact, I tend to stop shaving (the very limited area of my face that I do shave, that is - goatee and sideburns cuts down on effort ;)) a few days before I head out. I find the additional weatherproofing offered by even a three-day stubble worthwhile.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Like gregorach I'm keen to consume less resources and years ago switched from shaving-foam-in-an-aerosal can :( to shaving brush and a stick of soap :) .

I tried oil but couldn't get along with it. Compared to foam the shaving brush plus soap will save you money as well as being a bit more earth friendly - I find a tiny stick of shaving soap lasts about 9 months.

Of course not shaving at all may be greener still.......

jamesoconnor

Nomad
Jul 19, 2005
Hamilton, lanarkshire
Jared said:

i use these all the time. im a barber to trade and in theses modern times( hiv, aids, higeine) clients sometimes prefer the knowledge that we constantly use a new clean blade on them. it gives them the sensation of a traditional hot towel shave but with a new blade all the time. an excellent bit of kit. i also have the traditional open razors too. theyre great too!! all this from a guy who has a beard at the minute!!! :D

regards
james

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
James, you're a barber? And you do barbershop shaves? :You_Rock_

That's one thing I'll probably never end up having done; no-one around here bothers with it anymore. I've heard it's a great experience, and that some people actually fall asleep in the chairs while being shaved.

jamesoconnor

Nomad
Jul 19, 2005
Hamilton, lanarkshire
addyb said:
James, you're a barber? And you do barbershop shaves? :You_Rock_

That's one thing I'll probably never end up having done; no-one around here bothers with it anymore. I've heard it's a great experience, and that some people actually fall asleep in the chairs while being shaved.

you wouldn't believe the amount of people who fall asleep in the chair!! :D
theyre still really popular with us too!! this jobs still a far cry from what i studied at uni to do, civil and structural engineering. got the degree, worked a bit at it, hated it, work for the family company!! ;)

regards
james

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE