Light weight 3/4 season down bag recomendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hetzen

Forager
Feb 5, 2009
West London
Hi there. I'm looking for a down sleeping bag that's rated to 3 to 4 seasons, ie will cope with the english autumn/winter, that packs to a small volume and weighs around a Kg. I hear the Alpkit Pipedreams are good, but look as rare as hens teath to get hold of.

I've been looking at the Lifeventure Downlight 1200 Mummy Shaped Down Sleeping Bag http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/downlight-1200-sleeping-bag-p185177 which seems to tick all the boxes. But I'd be more interested in a users personal recomendation.

I've also heard that down can be treated to deal with moisture, but forget what that's called.

Can anyone out there help me with what will be to me an expensive purchase.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Alpkit's are worth the wait if it's convenient, I heard their usual November batch is delayed until January now though.

PHD or Rab would be my other choices

Hetzen

Forager
Feb 5, 2009
West London
That's the problem, January is too late to enjoy the Autumn, and even then they'll probably sell out before I get a chance to order.

The Rab bags seem overpriced, but maybe I'm judging that on a bivi I bought of theirs a few years back.

I'm sorry, I don't know who PHD are. Any chance of a link.

Many thanks.

Hetzen

Forager
Feb 5, 2009
West London
Ouch. Although they are super light weight. One to save for I guess. Looks like I'm probably going to stick with my Snugpak Softie 9 this year unless anyone else has any good sugestions.

Cheers fella.

Hetzen

Forager
Feb 5, 2009
West London
Thanks again chap. The Pipedreams do seem to be the thing to go for. For a 200g diference with a 2/3 pack volume of the Skyehigh, I need to weigh up the cost to value. I'm trying to counter the cost with SWMBO as I've told her she needs to carry it, although I'm also thinking solo here. 2 stones for one bird... ahem.

Cheers.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Don't give up on PHD yet (and until I read about them on OM, I'd never heard of them either). The sale starts on the 20th http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/special-offers.php?cat=79, and they have sleeping bags in the sale. Still not exactly cheap, but if you google 'PHD Factory visit', you'll see that what your getting is basically the Savile Row of the down bag world. They are already talking about it at OM http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/forummessages/mps/dt/4/UTN/48179/. The Pipedreams are delayed, but the Skyehighs might be fine (although there is a thread about a bad one). There are some reduced Cummulus and other brand bags here http://www.downbags.co.uk/4-season-down-bags.

Personally, I think Lifeventure stuff tends to be overpriced.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
If you look hard enough you should be able to find a Rab bag 2nd hand for the same price as an Alpkits bag. I picked a 400 fill one in pertex ultra (or some such spin) here and have been very happy with it. Compared to the skyehigh I had before it the only 'negatives' are a more fiddly neck baffle and zip.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Ouch. Although they are super light weight. One to save for I guess. Looks like I'm probably going to stick with my Snugpak Softie 9 this year unless anyone else has any good sugestions.

Cheers fella.

How about slipping in a fleece liner into your Snugpak softie ?...., that should keep you warm in average winter temperatures & would certainly be OK for the autumn. :)

Hi,
I got a macpac down bag off eBay for 50ish early this year. It weighs 1kg packs small and is quite roomy.
I always use it with a bivvi bag when outdoors. Also you could supplement your insulation with a down fillet or jacket. I use an issue bivvi jacket for this.

Huweth

May 20, 2011
East Devon
I've been using a Mountain Equipment Dreamcatcher 500 for about 7 years now for most of my camping from French summer to Scottish Winter. It's warm in the summer but of course you can unzip it a bit, and it kept me just about warm enough with a silk liner in Scotland last December. Well made, packs very small (about the size of a small melon), weighs very little, and came out fine when I washed it last year. Best bag I ever owned. I really like how the elasticated lower part pulls the down in tight to hug you with warmth, and lets you sit up cross legged to make people jealous. Only thing I don't like it how the down compresses underneath you which can let a bit of cold through, but thats the case with all down bags.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
How about slipping in a fleece liner into your Snugpak softie ?...., that should keep you warm in average winter temperatures & would certainly be OK for the autumn. :)

A down bodywarmer or jacket is a good buy too, you can use it to plug any cold spots or just wear it to bed. I used mine all winter either over my feet (succeptable in the hammock), or wrapped around my core like a mini blanket.

Hetzen

Forager
Feb 5, 2009
West London
Thanks for all your replies. Some good food for thought there. I've had a look at the PHD sale and am tempted with a down jacket. I need to think about this one some more.

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE