Best time of year to buy a new bag?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Hey all,

I've been toying with the idea of getting a new bag, right now the forerunner is the Rab Ascent 700, but before I buy it I'd like to know if there are regular sales on the big online retailers, and whether I'm likely to see discount on Rab bags.

I sleep pretty cold, my rab 400 bag does me two seasons use (barely). In the winter I've been using the 90 pattern Arctic bag, but I start to feel the cold around 0c to -5c and at 2.5kg I grudge having to pack my down quilt on top of it! I shall keep it as my bomb proof sleep-by-the-fire bag.

Happy to consider recommendations also. Looking for 600-800g fill, hydrophobic down would be preferred, and a mummy cut that's not so restrictive to stop my raising a leg. Basically a solid 3-4 season down bag under 1.5kg and on the right side of £200 ��

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
if you're not scared of second hand bags there are bargains to be had on eBay.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Yes I bought my rab 400 through the forums a few years ago. I've checked out eBay, but I think this time around I'd prefer to buy new. £165 is the best I've seen so far for the Rab Ascent 700

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
I'd suggest keep a keen eye on the forums and ebay... always good deals to be had on new and used gear.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
I noticed the Rab 700 in Go Outdoors as well for £180, and thought that a good deal. If you want a little warmer, then the benchmark Alpkit Skyehigh 900 (4 season) is at £200. Right now does seem to be a bit of a time for sales - Trekkitt http://www.trekitt.co.uk/sleep--and--shelter/onsale?discount=30 has just emailed me, Cotswolds are having an end of season thing, and I'm sure there are others by the usual suspects - Facewest, Taunton, etc. What I tend to notice is that its more the 3 season bags that are reduced, and by the sound of it, a 4 season sounds more like it (better slightly too warm than too cold).

I suspect the sales are on because its post Christmas, and a lot of the stores are waiting for spring(!), so its probably as good a time as any. There is the Rab factory shop, which is having a sale on the 18th of Feb http://forums.outdoorsmagic.com/showthread.php/52907-Rab-outlet-in-Derby/page2#DfovpeLfJKE3KviI.97 - if you close, certainly worth a look!

If not, then the Rab 700 sounds like a decent deal, if its as warm as you want.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE