3/4 season bag for child

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Willcurrie

Aug 2, 2015
Argyll
I'm looking for suggestions on a 3/4 season sleping bag for a 7 year old. Has anyone got any recommendations, packed size and weight are a consideration as she will have to carry her own gear and I don't want her to lug around a massive sleep system. Saying that I'd probably prefer synthetic for ease of maintenance although she may have out grown it before it needs too much of that.

It'll be used shoulder seasons and some winter nights in Scotland

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
What about a decent down adult size bag, lightweight, small pack size etc, the extra length can then be folded underneath for extra warmth.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
A good 4 season bag for a child seems to be a difficult beast to obtain. We ended up using a Vango 2-3 season, seemed to be all that was available at the time, along with a fibre pile inner bag that I made, for the colder months. The annoying thing is that he has now grown beyond the dimensions of the bag and the quest for a replacement is underway. I found with an oversize bag tucked he still managed to sink into the bag which was not good for condensation.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
A three season bag is pretty difficult to get in a small size, and 4 seems almost impossible. I suspect its down to economies of scale, and demand. The average 7 year old might go camping in summer, but much less likely in winter!

Dogoak's idea is a really good one, although having to make your own inner isn't easy if your as hopeless at sewing as me. I suspect the best suggestion would be to get a womans bag (the MH bags are being replaced by a new range, so might get a deal there), and fill it with clothes etc to reduce the loose space inside, or get a 3 season female bag and one of those cheap kids bags, and put one inside the other.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Snugbug was the name on the children's sleeping bags when my two were little. Proper mummy shaped bags in iirc three different sizes and a range of colours. Wouldn't do for Winter without warmth above and below but did fine for Spring through to Autumn.

Honestly, best advice for a kiddie is to buy a single bed quilt with a cotton cover. Run it through a dye if you want, and then cut it to shape and just whip stitch all the raw edges together. You could cover those with bias binding if you choose to make a really tidy job of it. Under £20 for one that'd be at least as warm as a 3-4 season bag.
If you make a draw cord at hood, just use the lock from an old anorak, or elasticate it. You can add a zip or velcro if you like, even a baffle.

I've done a couple, you don't even need a sewing machine, just a decent needle and either strong or doubled thread.

It'll do a year or so no bother at all, and children have this disconcerting habit of growing :rolleyes: so just make another as needed and pass the first one along :)

If you really need to oomph up the warmth, then I'd make a liner from one of those sheepskin type fleece undersheet things and stitch that in too. (make sure its tacked/stitched at the side seams and the foot too, to stop it fankling around the youngster in the night) Though fleece throws are pretty cheap these days. Kind of sweaty though if the child runs hot.

We had some bitter cold Winters when I was very little. My mum cut down a down sleeping bag for me. It was warm, but I hated that thing. Never much of a fan of feathers, I can ay feel the wee quills.

Bedsocks aren't such a daft idea :D and neither is a hot water bottle in the bag a little while before the child coories down.
If you keep the child close to you and throw a blanket over the top of both bags, it'll be even warmer too.
Used to sleep like that when down at the boat at this time of year when we were little. Perishing cold in the canvas tent when the tilley light was turned off for the night.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE