Life Changing Books?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
After a false start on it back in 2001, I'm currently about half way through Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M. Pirsig.

I've found it an incredible read so far. I can't speak for the rest of the book, but I'm loving every word at the moment. It really speaks to some very strong problems I've had with a few things for a while now.

Next on the list is Life of Pi.

A book I'll always recommend is Papillon by Henri Charrière. I had to force myself to put it down regularly as I wanted to take my time with it and soak it all in, otherwise I'd have finished it in a couple of days. I dunno how "life changing" it was, but it really rocked me and shifted my views on a few things.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I dunno how "life changing" it was, but it really rocked me and shifted my views on a few things.

Hi Bigshot , Yep read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Probably need to reread it .

When i said 'life'changing' I guess i was speaking of stuff that challenged, altered your currnt way of thinking, .

Not that I'm a very 'happy-slappy' kinda of person but i am keen to read some of the Antony Robbins self help re-program stuff , I'm sure the outcome of most situations and environments are the sum of how you (I ) approach them.

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
For life changing reads I'd recommend 'Get in the Van' by Henry Rollins - for what people endure to be true to themselves. His writing is as intense brutal and honest as his music. It's a book I keep returning to. Nothing to do with bushcraft or heroism - just raw honesty.

Magentus

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Two books changed my outlook on life.

This one:
51K6CV462ML._SS500_.jpg

and this one:
41Y9PQG3N5L._SS500_.jpg

Not necessarily in that order.

Eric

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
When i said 'life'changing' I guess i was speaking of stuff that challenged, altered your currnt way of thinking, .

"The Dancing Wu Li Masters" by Gary Zukav. I had to read a number of books after this one to understand the ideas better, but this book really changed how I see the world, I feel for the better. Since, I have NEVER been bored, the little things of the day to day are endlessly fascinating and and my time in the natural world is so much the richer. A similar title is "The Tao of Physics" by Fritjof Capra.
I don't really care for how some new-age spiritualists use quantum physics as a jumping off point for their ideas, and knowing when they are full of it is often useful.

Tom Brown's books changed me from a 'kit-oriented' type to thinking about "how do I cope and thrive starting with nothing?" strategy.

Emerson's "Nature" is another good one.

So many books, so little time.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I loved zen and the art of motorcycle maintanence. I was enjoying Wu li masters but never finished it. I loved Kite runner and the Alchemist to. I think we are all of a similar ilk!
The book that made me give up work for a while (and unfortunately failed at self employment the first time round) was ragged trousered philanthropists.
Ive take a long break from reading, I seemed to have lost my confidence in learning, but im back on track now. Im currently reading Kafka on the Shore, but I can't make head nor tail of this one.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Flying in to love by D M Thomas is a very thought provoking novel, stayed with me long after I read it.
Ragged trousered philanthropists also influential.
The making of the English landscape by Hoskins is a stunning book, you will see the countryside differently after reading it.
The clearances by John Prebble- haunting and true.
And of course The magic mountain by Thomas Mann.

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
Another vote for "The Alchemist".

"Awaken the Giant Within" By Tony Robbins is also an excellent book in my view. I started reading it when I was very disenchanted wih my life several years ago, half way through the first chapter I started to see my life in a very different and much more positive way.

"Into Thin Air" and "Into the Wild" by John Krakauer both inspired me and the missus to spend a lot more time outdoors and to take a trip round the world.

"Touching the Void" by Joe Simpson , teaches that the will to just carry on and never give up will overcome almost any obstacle.

A lot of books have sent me spinning off on tangents , I suppose I'm easily influenced.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
How to catch bigger pike by Paul Gustafson really kicked off my pike fishing addiction

The in-fisherman Handbook of strategys (Pike) is the biggest revalation of any book i have ever read, have i caught some fish after reading that!!!! None else can come close.

Muskies on the Shield by Dick Pearson, taught me allot about fishing the wind

Introducing Existentialism, was one that changed my thoughts on everything

Great Book Swagman

The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists by Robert Tressell.

Emile

Mar 19, 2009
Edinburgh
' The secret language of life' - Brian J. Ford. is one that I just started reading and found particularly interesting and also a little more related to bushcraft then some of the other books I read. (Not to be confused with 'The secret life of plants').

great thread, its given me some great ideas and its interesting seeing the wide range of themes that come up.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Does anybody fancy doing some kind of book pass around, or everybody swap with someone else? I know books are one of those notorious things for never being returned, but they are pretty expensive to buy new and ive Old books I loved which I havent touched for years.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE