Lieutenant General David Morrison - A bollocking of the good sort.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
14/06/13, Oz Lt Gen. David Morrison's inspiring address concerning sexual misconduct and bullying in Australia's armed forces.

[video=youtube;QaqpoeVgr8U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded& v=QaqpoeVgr8U[/video]

An Army Officer that the profession can be proud of.
Happy trails...torc.

Last edited:

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I wonder how that would go down if quoted back to a screaming CO?

But sir, the LG says, & I quote "those who think it is OK to behave in a away that demeans or exploits their colleagues have no place in this army" hence I feel that cleaning the floor with my toothbrush is demeaning & therefore refuse, furthermore I wish to lodge a formal complaint against you for your conduct, from where do I get the necessary forms?

Must be all beers and Shelas for the guys down under, bet that helps loads with recruitment drives.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Well said.

Watched this twice now... the second time to count how many time he blinked in 3.07mins.

Never been in the Army, I don't have the right attitude for it, but you hear stories of beasting and such so I guess this is something that went beyond the pale.

Fair comment too VANDEEN. I guess there are limits to what is classed acceptable demeaning behavior.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
There is apparently a red and yellow card system in todays military, I haven't seen it personally but has come from a serving member of the Royal Marines, and it gives the recruit a recourse should they feel that any rank above them on the training teams is treating them unfairly to prepare them for their future role within the military unit they belong.

There is "in my opinion" a vast difference between sexual demeaning attitudes and behaviour and being given the job of cleaning the washroom floor with a tooth brush...

Having seen the treatment of recruits by being one back in 1982 there were some pretty good ways to adjust the behaviour of those who let the team down, and painting grout lines with cotton buds and enamel paint was one of them, being given the "course rock" to carry everywhere when on duty was another...that level of treatment is pretty soft, fines were given out to those who over stepped the mark.

Any one with a complaint against training staff had good recourse through the correct channels.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
That's spelling it out in no uncertain terms... goodjob

Got that right...
ranger.gif

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
But they're thinking about it LINK. It was such a good idea that it caught on in a couple of colonies. :rolleyes:

There's more to it than that though. They're training amphibious troops true. But they'll still belong to the Army; not to the Navy as a true Marine Corps does. Believe it or not, amphibious landings are a relatively recent (less than a century) role for Marines. Their original role was to climb the ship rigging as sharpshooters across the water to opposing ships-----and-----for ship to ship boarding.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
There's more to it than that though. They're training amphibious troops true. But they'll still belong to the Army; not to the Navy as a true Marine Corps does.

True, don't know if they'd split them off to the Navy. Used to kick about with some of the marines when I wasn't too far from the base at Arbroath. Good bunch of folk and used to have some of the Cloggies (Dutch Marines) over too. Could never figure the local lads trying to take them on all the time... bad move.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
There's more to it than that though. They're training amphibious troops true. But they'll still belong to the Army; not to the Navy as a true Marine Corps does. Believe it or not, amphibious landings are a relatively recent (less than a century) role for Marines. Their original role was to climb the ship rigging as sharpshooters across the water to opposing ships-----and-----for ship to ship boarding.

And to keep the "jacks" in order.

Rob

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
True, don't know if they'd split them off to the Navy. Used to kick about with some of the marines when I wasn't too far from the base at Arbroath. Good bunch of folk and used to have some of the Cloggies (Dutch Marines) over too. Could never figure the local lads trying to take them on all the time... bad move.

Yep. bad idea. When the Korean War began Gen. MacArther (an Army general) said, "I must have the Marines." I also like their philosophy of, "don't bring artllery unless you want to kill EVERYBODY."

Dec 16, 2007
During my training in the army (UK) in the 80's I never once cleaned a toilet block with my tootbrush. We went to the NAFFI and got the propper cleaning equipment. The whole cleaning using your tootbrush is a myth. Did use boot polish on the black bakerlight bog seats though to get that mirror shine.

You only got beasted if you was a knob and had done something wrong. Never did the same mistake twice though and it never did me any harm.

BUT if there was any bullying within the section/platoon and it wasn't "sorted out in the drying room" or milling ring then it went higher. But the closest we got then to dodgy pictures of women going around the ranks was an old copy of Razzle.

But good for him to do it public like that. Has been a massive thing on the news over here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE