LGBTG group !

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I don't understand because i do not like segregation or exclusion of any kind except towards murderers, rapists and peados etc, all other humans i want to interact with as often as possible regardless of race creed, colour, religion or who they choose to be intimate with, i've found the more varied the mix of people the more opportunities for unique learning experiences there is in the group.

I just read a great quote from Ellen Degeneres

"Do we really need to know who is gay and who is straight? Can't we just love everyone and judge them by which cars they drive?"

Last edited:

rg598

Native
So by creating a subset, they in effect ring fence that subset ? Is that not totally agin inclusion and acceptance in mainstream society ?

If you wish to influence and change perception then active participation and familiarisation is a necessity. Otherwise though it might well be law, it's not in the spirit of the intent, iimmc.

It's like the Chinese lady who insisted that she was Black....while she most definitely wasn't, but was claiming racial discrimination on that basis. To the majority who are genuinely open minded, it just does not compute. Indeed it kind of emphasises the strange rather than the tolerance.

While it's all very well to state, "Repeatedly stating that one does not understand why there is a need for such groups, largely reinforces the need for the groups.", it does no good to ignore the reality that that is genuinely how the majority think; and since the majority are most likely those whom he will meet, then surely he needs to take on board our view too.

M
Not everyone is interested in being an activist. While it might be better if everyone who was a member of a historically oppressed group would stand strong and fight discrimination through their open presence in the general community, not everyone wants to do it, nor do I believe we should disparage people who do not wish to take that path.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
'Bushcraft' is a minority and of us here are here because we like being able to communicate with like minded individuals who, to a greater or greater extent, have a perceivable shared bond.

In a way a way any specific activity orientated forum is segregated, to my mind anyway :eek: ~ just look at how heated it can get on the boards when we try to discuss 'vintage' versus 'ultralite' ... what knife ... whether a tent, tarp and bivvy or hammock is best ...

Most of us will have friends and colleagues (and possibly family) who just don't get why we leave the comfort of a house for a fire, sleeping bag and flimsy shelter (that's the human condition for you ;) )

The person the OP mentions just wants to be around folks he sees as like minded and who have gone through similar trials and tribulations ;) . Coming out can't be easy and perhaps he's just looking to meet others who know, from actual personal experience, what he's been and is still going through whilst he finds his feet and builds his confidence. Perhaps, one day, he'll become a member here as well.

I never know what to say to folk who want to be accepted for themselves, without question, but also want to belong to a self-segregated group.

'Hi, how are you, fancy a brew?' might be a good start :D

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
I might be going out on a limb here, but I think it's this kind of attitude that he is trying to avoid.
Why a separate group ?...don’t know.

Woah! Think you've totally misunderstood my post their dude.i was trying say I didn't think their was any need for a seperatel group.if it was cause I wrote wufter then I will truly apologise for that too.i have a few close gay friends yer n that's the kind of banter we have together.

rg598

Native
I don't understand because i do not like segregation or exclusion of any kind except towards murderers, rapists and peados etc, all other humans i want to interact with as often as possible regardless of race creed, colour, religion or who they choose to be intimate with, i've found the more varied the mix of people the more opportunities for unique learning experiences there is in the group.

I just read a great quote from Ellen Degeneres

"Do we really need to know who is gay and who is straight? Can't we just love everyone and judge them by which cars they drive?"

That is easy to say when you are not a member of the oppressed group. When you continuously experience discrimination, it is much harder to accept claims of how great unity is. Even in this very thread, in the first five posts there was a slur used.

There is the ideal world and then there is the real world. Gender or sexual orientation sub groups are not ideal, but they deal with the reality.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
Not everyone is interested in being an activist. While it might be better if everyone who was a member of a historically oppressed group would stand strong and fight discrimination through their open presence in the general community, not everyone wants to do it, nor do I believe we should disparage people who do not wish to take that path.
That's true, and I'm sorry for my post which reads rather that way.

I'm afraid I don't know of any LBGT bushcraft groups but I'd be pleased to see someone here if they wished to join.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Ahh I think i get it, so unless you are of the oppressed group then your opinions do not matter on the subject, now i understand :lmao:

rg598

Native
Ahh I think i get it, so unless you are of the oppressed group then your opinions do not matter on the subject, now i understand :lmao:
With open mindedness like this, it is shocking that people would want to have a sub group.

As much as it may hurt your feelings, as a heterosexual male you have limited understanding of the experiences and perceptions of a gay man in our community. You telling that gay man that he should experience the world the same way that you do, really ignores the reality people face.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire

I'm not asking someone to 'stand strong and fight discrimination through open presence', I do ask that they accord the rest the courtesy of seeing us as we are.
I'm not disparaging them either, I do disparage the necessity for a defined exclusion in creating a subset of a subset :rolleyes:

BcUK and the other bushcraft groups are, please note the word, Bushcraft groups. We don't give a damn about the gender or sexuality, race, religion, political persuasion, or where they register on the Kinsey scale. The forum and the meet ups are bushcraft orientated. True the conversations on the forums are a bit eclectic :D but it's healthily diverse and interesting :cool:

I genuinely think that you are encouraging the perception of an issue that isn't.
Fine words, and lots of holier than thou....just one has to wonder just who you're preaching to ?

Genuinely sorry that we are apparantly not suitable company for some folks; bit of a sod's law though; there's no way to please everyone all of the time.

Bet the OP is wishing he hadn't bothered now :) and I do hope his friend reads this thread and genuinely sees it in the spirit in which folks intend, and he finds company he enjoys.

cheers,
Toddy

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
With open mindedness like this, it is shocking that people would want to have a sub group.

As much as it may hurt your feelings, as a heterosexual male you have limited understanding of the experiences and perceptions of a gay man in our community. You telling that gay man that he should experience the world the same way that you do, really ignores the reality people face.

Putting words in my mouth there especially when what i said was in response to your previous comment stating as such and negating anyones opinion who never went through the same strife as the people wanting a sub group, so because i want to include everyone regardless of gender or sexual preference i am in the wrong?

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Groups help you to try and ask questions to the right people. Some friends of mine were thrown off a campsite because 4 couples had booked individually to meet up for the weekend, they were asked to leave because the site did not allow single sex groups, they were all married or in civil partnerships but still had to leave, how would that make you feel? If I wanted to know about canoeing,. I would be welcomed here and asked if I knew about song of the paddle, if I asked about blade making I would be welcomed here and someone would ask if I knew about British blades, if I asked about arctic travel I would be welcomed here and someone would mention the sub zero crew, someone asks if there is an LGBTG group and look what happens!

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
This thread seems to have gone off from the original post and turned into politics of the situation and this isn't the place for it and I'd ask for you to stop, this will just be a debate that deteriorates and as per usual in these circumstances i'm asking for the to be avoided.

For the OP

I don't know of any specific group for LGBTG, I see why the question would be asked but I don't have any info about it. I would have hoped that your friend could attend any meet and gender etc would not be an issue. Good luck in the search.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE