LGBTG group !

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

monkey spanner

Forager
Jul 4, 2010
kent
How to ask this?
A friend of mine (honest, not me, my mate) is gay & I’ve taken him out for a couple of nights bushcrafting.
He wants to know if there is a LGBTG bushcraft group!
I told him to join this site & just ask, but seeing as he is only just "out" & is a bit worried about the flack he might get, he has persuaded me to ask on his behalf.

So, is there anybody who is interested in putting together a LGBTG group?
I can understand if you don’t want to post a reply publicly, and am willing to receive replies via PM on his behalf.

I can’t believe I’m asking this! :eek:
But it is the 21 centaury after all and it shouldn’t matter what sexuality anybody is.
If anybody has negative comments please keep them to yourself… well, positive negative comments should be ok I guess, if that makes sense!

Ta very much
I’m away for a few days with the WIFE to the lake district tonight & I’ll check back on Monday

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Don't see why he'd have too set up his own group too do bushcraft just cause he's a wufter.give him a slap n tell him not be so mard.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Not as far as I know, but why would there be one ? most folks aren't really all that interested in that aspect of others, they're just people like everyone else, and the ones I know (yes, there are others on the site) just go to the same meets as the rest of us.
I haven't quite sussed out the acronym in full....need to google.

Ah, TG at the end is for one not two descriptions.

cheers,
Toddy

monkey spanner

Forager
Jul 4, 2010
kent
Don't see why he'd have too set up his own group too do bushcraft just cause he's a wufter.give him a slap n tell him not be so mard.​

I might be going out on a limb here, but I think it's this kind of attitude that he is trying to avoid.
Why a separate group ?...don’t know.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Yeah why segregate?? I don't understand why sexual preference has anything to do with bushcrafting at all that it would need a special interest or separate grouping, do they bowdrill offensively to heterosexuals or something?

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
i think maybe because he has just come out then he is expecting a big backlash, well it wont happen on here. tell him to sign up, he doesnt have to announce himself, i didnt have to tell everyone i like boobies when i signed up so he doesnt have to state his preferences either. really, nobody will care, unless he uses a pink spork, in which case he might upset mr fenna lol

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Tell him to join up here. I have no idea even what gender some writers are let alone their sexuality, most of the time it isn't relevant.

That says it all :D
If he doesn't tell folks that about his sexuality then no one's going to know; or is that the issue ? he wants folks to know, but he wants to be in among company that he's reassured won't cause him any grief ?
In this day and age, and in the UK, surely we're well beyond that in this company.

I thought areetmeowdmukka's post was a kind of good natured banter, I didn't see it as a threat or a problem; if you disagree, then I'm sure he'd edit it.....I get teased about my Scotticisms....I need a Bolton dictionary to suss out mard :eek:

cheers,
Toddy

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
Anyone want to set up a Ginger Group with me, must be big fans of shade and enjoy playing dot to dot on their own arm

monkey spanner

Forager
Jul 4, 2010
kent
I never know what to say to folk who want to be accepted for themselves, without question, but also want to belong to a self-segregated group.​

Yeah..weird eh !

Anyone want to set up a Ginger Group with me, must be big fans of shade and enjoy playing dot to dot on their own arm​

Yep, I'm a big factor 50 fan

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
"Anyone want to set up a Ginger Group with me, must be big fans of shade and enjoy playing dot to dot on their own arm" .....but that excludes those like me....I've got (well I had, it's slowly going white :rolleyes:) really, dark hair, but I've got fair skin, green eyes and freckles :sigh: The factor 50 is a fact of life for me.
I'm dying in the heat today :( That said, it's beautiful in the shade and it's a glorious day here :)

Sorry monkey spanner, we're not being very supportive, are we :eek:
It's really not us being nasty or uncaring, just that if he wants to do bushcrafty things; the forum's pretty representative of reality. Disparate folks and most are pretty laid back and would go out of their way to be helpful rather than discriminatory.

cheers,
Toddy

Last edited:

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I'm reminded of Terry Pratchet here, and his comments about dwarfs having to take care when courting to determine (delicately) the gender of the other dwarfs.

By the time a bunch of bushcrafters have rolled in woodash, put on 5 layers of canvas/leather/wool/yakfur and strapped on their axes, gender becomes a bit immaterial.

rg598

Native
I certainly understand the desire to have separate subgroups based on sexual or gender preferences and orientation. It is an imperfect solution to a very real problem.

Ideally we would all be able to participate in an activity without making anyone feel marginalised. Unfortunately the reality is that there is plenty of express, implied, and structural marginalization of sexual minorities. It is very hard for people who are not members of the minority to sense that and see the impact it has.

Even in situations where the marginalization is only perceived and not real, the results can be very real i.e. the person choses not to participate.

Such subgroups often function as a transition step to the larger community. Once a new person feels comfortable, they are more likely to enter the general community or group.

I live in the US, so I can't give any specific advice as to groups. That being said, your friend should also try searching through his LGBT groups. There are probably quite a few that organize gatherings at camp sites. How much emphasis they will have on bushcraft is hard to say.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

monkey spanner

Forager
Jul 4, 2010
kent
Just to let you guys know, it’s taken me about a month to get the courage to post this question !

I’ve known my mate for years & also known that he’s gay for years, he’s dad on the other hand had no idea & went well over the top when he found out & now they don’t talk.
I have a black friend that I went to school with & I can use the N word with him, anyone else using that word in his company would be ..er..frowned on.

So using words like woofter, although said in jest, is very negative.

I think he wants a special group of like minded people so that he can be himself without thinking that people are whispering about him behind his back (getting close to carry on film territory there)
His dad’s reaction is one of the most shocking thing’s I’ve heard & it’s really knocked him back.
But the bushcraft/woods time he has spent have been very positive & he’s coming out of his shell (anything I write has carry on film overtones)
Any hoo, I’ve asked & got the replies I said I would get, I’ll let him know & we’ll see what happens.

rg598 great reply, I'll make sure he reads it.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Put me down as another one who does not quite get the need for a sub group. Maybe The only way to get true acceptance in life is to not let people view you as the "other" and for you to not do the same. I do appreciate that not everyone is as classy as the group of people on this forum (I am a member of a Facebook Bushcraft group that is much more mixed in intellect and prejudices). but by and large most people are more interested in the kit and craft rather than who you love at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE