Leukus

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
Hi all,

Looking at buying a Leuku, preferably 7" blade. Iv used a 9" on a knife and it's just too big for my liking!

Iv seen a few, using the search function found some absolutely stunning antler handled and various amazing pieces. However I'm looking to just buy one off the internet, as I don't have much time for handling knives myself these days unfortunately!

Any reccomendations would be great, here are some iv found already. I like the idea of having a matching pukko, but it's not a deal breaker. I just need a knife I can use, and use hard.

https://www.lamnia.com/en/p/1428/kni...leuku-18-knife
http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/c...ombo-leuku.htm
https://www.varusteleka.com/en/produ...euku-180/27474

Thanks in advance

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
Any leuku with Laurin Metalli 80CrV2 blade and the handle of your liking would be quite suitable, I reckon.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Sorry, I have not tried (or personally seen) any of those three.

Marttiini - yes.

If you have a limited budget you can find nice used knives in a Swedish internet site called Tradera. ( www.tradera.com)
In Swedish those knives are called Huggare, the word Leuku is Finnish.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Used Martini. And the picture combo in the past. Both are great once you use them and get practice you won't want anything else

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
Thanks I'll have another look into the martini and stromeng blades.

Iv been using knives of all sizes for years, and I enjoy learning its strengths and weaknesses, unsure by what you mean by you're comment Janne?

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
What I mean is this: Most traditional huggare are made with much thinner blades than for example the now popular bushcraft knives.
As the name ( in swedish) suggests, they are meant to chop with. You have to use a technique where you loosely held it with your fingers, and kind of swing it and chop. Batoning can also be done, but of quite thin wood.
No great force as the blade can distort or even brake.

The Finnish word for these, 'leuku' , is translated to 'large knife' I believe?

These is a huge difference between the thickness of the blade between, say, a Marttiini on one dide and a Fällkniven, Mora Garberg or RM Bushcrafters.
Even a standard Mora is thicker, but then they are meant to be a utilitarian, rough allround tool. ,
The people I knew when I lived in the North all used this kind of knives, nobody carried an axe as they are too heavy. These guys, both Same and local ethnic Swedes, made fires with thin bits of wood only, and small, economical fires.
The heaviest batoning/use was usually taking slivers of the resin impregnated roots from dead swamp pines. That wood is hard!

Some manufacturers make a combo, a large knife and a small one, in the same "package".
Strømeng does it, not sure about Marttiini.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE