Leuku Pukko Anyone

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

larry the spark

Forager
Dec 16, 2003
Belfast
I recently bought and 'made' a carbon steel lauri 7" (large, I know!) Leuku pukko knife kit from Brisa.fi. Fantastic piece of kit at a great price of only 26 euro plus around another 18-20 for postage and some danish oil for the finish. I first encountered finnish knives three years ago on an architectural field trip in univeristy that took us all around the Finnish countryside but only recently purchased a lapp puukko from Kellam which sparked my interest.

Bought the Leuku as a small axe replacement, for splitting wood (not fond of battoning a small blade) and roughing out wood projects and I must say it performs very well in these tasks.

Anyone else got one? Like it?

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Never tried a leuku- I think they're used for slaughtering reindeer or something, up in the arctic circle. Would no doubt be useful for other things too. The Scandinavians know what they're doing.

I've ordered from Brisa before and they are fast and efficient. Order well wrapped in Finnish newspaper! No problem with customs charges. Postage can be steep - a communal order might be an idea, if anyone is interested?

You can buy the blade only from a top notch Scandinavian knife company for maybe 15 - 20% of the cost of a finished knife plus sheath. The handle and sheath you make yourself- Brisa sell all materiels.

I'm pretty cack-handed at woodwork, and messed up my first handle. For what it's worth, my advice:

1) Don't use power tools!
2) Finish with VERY fine abrasives - I went down to 1200 grit wet and dry.

larry the spark

Forager
Dec 16, 2003
Belfast
Reindeer! Won't find many of those round Belfast. The blade is a fraction over 3mm wide which makes it a proficient wood knife and widens towards the tip so the weight is pushed to the end of the blade making it a geat chopper. Can imagine it being a used for butchery.

As for fitting a handle, agree, definitely no power tools except a long 3mm drill bit to make the hole for the tang. All I used was a large semi-circular rasp, clamp and three grades of sandpaper down to 1200 as you mentioned. Just take your time and you will have a custom grip to suit your eager palms! Nothing like it!

I am interested to know what moderately larger blades (+4", not goloks or machete types) people use and for what purposes.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Sorry, yes, naturally a drill is needed. I then used needle files to make space for the tang.

Did you use the traditional option of curly birch?

Brisa sell some >4" and leuku blades. I suppose there is a tradition of a big knife and a little knife in other cultures (eg, dirk plus sgian dubh, kukri with small knife in sheath.)

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I've got a 3" Lauri blade from brisa.fi sat waiting for me (and a piece of damascus waiting for my dad) at my parent's house. I thought that it would take a while to arrive so I ordered it to there as I thought I would be there for christmas before it was.
I'm very impressed with the speed of their delivery.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Hi Larry, we managed to persuade Stuart to put a Kellam Lapp Puukko to the test at the weekend. He was not at all bothered about battoning it through whatever wood we could find for him to split. The Puukko coped with no bother, and the blade proved it could take all we could throw at it.
Stuart also mentioned a larger blade from Kellam that will be available shortly, a think its about 6 inches, so should be good for chopping. I dunno what its called, something finnish.
Hopefully Stuart will pick thus tread up.
Cheers
Rich

larry the spark

Forager
Dec 16, 2003
Belfast
Yeah, stuck with the curly birch. Nice wood to work with I thought. Matches my Lapp Puukko too.

I also found delivery to be very efficient and well packaged.

Gonna order a smaller blade, around 3", and some more exotic materials for the handle to make a knife as present for my father. Might have a go at a sheath too as an beginning to learn leathercraft. Any ideas for a good blade?

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Not sure about the leuku being for slaughtering reindeer... It might be used for pollarding wollow and sallow, though.

Go over to British Blades, and ask there. If you're lucky, Juha might be able to answer your question.

Or try on news:rec.knives and either Juha or Pekka might reply.

Keith.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Roving Rich said:
Hi Larry, we managed to persuade Stuart to put a Kellam Lapp Puukko to the test at the weekend. He was not at all bothered about battoning it through whatever wood we could find for him to split. The Puukko coped with no bother, and the blade proved it could take all we could throw at it.
Stuart also mentioned a larger blade from Kellam that will be available shortly, a think its about 6 inches, so should be good for chopping. I dunno what its called, something finnish.
Hopefully Stuart will pick thus tread up.
Cheers
Rich

the Larger blade which Rich is refuring to is a new leuku with a 4.75inch SPT (same tempering process as the wolverine) blade it is being called 'the bear' and should be ready for end of feb 2004

it will come with a small 2.7 inch (also SPT blade) puukko in a double sheath and retail for £110.25

I've just finnished putting it up on the website www.kellamknives.co.uk
look in the knife section

Doc was right the leuku is used by the sami to bucher reindeer as well as splitting wood and making fire sticks

as a finnish guy once pointed out to me you need a long blade to reach inside a reindeer and remove the lungs

buchers knives are fairly large too remember and they are cutting up simmilar sized animals

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Where have ya been Keith, we missed you.
I'd keep quiet about that polarding or Jack will be over here raving about billhooks....And the contest will have to move on to round 2.
Cheers
Rich

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Roving Rich said:
Where have ya been Keith, we missed you.
I'd keep quiet about that polarding or Jack will be over here raving about billhooks....And the contest will have to move on to round 2.
Cheers
Rich

I've been lurking for a bit, and spending much more time on BB than here.

Anyway, I'm a great fan of bill hooks, too. A couple of years ago I bought four bill hook blanks that were probably forged sometime back in the 1930s. I messed up the HT on one of them; broke the tip clean off when I planted it in an oak stump to test it...

Keith.

Sajuma

Dec 19, 2003
Near Geneva
So, if I understand you correctly, Larry, you are looking for leuku blade to make your own leuku?
If you want the easy way, go and buy one from www.brisa.fi
They have models from Lauri and Kankaanpää and IMO Kankaanpää could be more "your cup of tea".

If you choose to take the hard way and get yourself real forged leku blade I think you should contact blade smith and order one...
Here you have some addresses:
http://www.saunalahti.fi/knivesc/
http://www.multi.fi/~kaitsu/index.html
http://www.roselli.fi/

And swedish smiths too...

http://160.8.4.92/english.htm
http://www.knives.se/
http://w1.271.telia.com/~u27104667/photos.html

There are lots of others so go and have a look around...
If there is anything I can do, please let me know...

Juha

larry the spark

Forager
Dec 16, 2003
Belfast
Thanks for the info Juha. If only I'd asked before I bought the one from Brisa! Cheers anyway.

Thanks for the rest of the info guys.... checked out the roselli blade and it gives the desciption as:

"A traditional, solid shaped Lappish Leuku. The Forged thick blade can be used instead of a billhook if needed."

Hear that Jack! Somehow from following the thread about the billhook/axe test I doubt it. Someone on the mainland get a good 'un and put it to the test!

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

Maybe this thread is a bit old, but just have to post a reply! :oops:
A leuku blade IS being used for slaughtering reindeer. Mostly used by sapmi people in north. Is a great chopper too!

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
The Leuku blade is used as an axe, if you have ever been in north yo can see that here is not many re´s growing there mostly bushes and small birch tree´s. Not much use of an axe there but a large knife is very handy. The sapmi people are known for carrying severel knives all for diffrent tasks.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
I used the Lueko-puuko combination set from Issaaki Jarvenpaa. The traditional wide, flat, slightly angled pommel is ergonomically perfect for pushing into materials or controlling with the thumb on a reverse grip. Knife pundits decry the lack of guards. I learned in cold weather and with mittens on draw strokes are far easier to manage. I am not a big blade fan. They seem to big for most knife duties and to small for what an axe, machete or other tool is called for. The Luekos however are delightfull, not massive in weight and suprisingly nimble. I almost considered filing sawteeth on the spine for a dedicated snowknife, but that would be sacrilage.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE