Leuku Pukko Anyone

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

OK. This one's gonna be a little tough to explain, but i'll try! :wink:
How do you pronounce "leuku" right?? Is it: le-uku or leu-ku? :roll: :wink: :biggthump

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
I had the lueko/puukko combination by Issakki- Jarvenpaa. Finland was the knife center for Russia up until independance and luekos were a popular fighting/utility knife by both sides in WW2. Luekos are very good choppers ( remember that in Sammi country Birch trees aren't Redwoods!) and the method is to hold them loosely near the pommel and let the weight and momentum do the work, much like an axe sliding through your second hand to a double grip on the butt. I always remind people to look at the history and regional uses of knives by the first inhabitants. Unless your using the machete family of tools in the tropics or an ice knife up north a big knife was and is usually a fighting weapon. I love comparing my kit with 'Oetzi' the Alpine mummy. My current Puukko and Wetterling are just nice updates of his flint dagger and copper axe. Somehow I think he would reach for these two over some big tactical impaler of car doors.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Viking said:
The sapmi people are known for carrying severel knives all for diffrent tasks.
I can count three. A leuku, small carving knife and a curved knife which is suited for killing and slaughtering reindeer. :wink:
BTW, reindeer tastes very good, IMO! :biggthump

M

Mike Stewart

Viking,

Would you compare it's use by Northlanders to that of the Bowie knife in North America? There seems to be a lot of parallel general usage.

I have not read this whole thread so, sorry if this has been asked before.

Mike........

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Mike Stewart said:
Viking,

Would you compare it's use by Northlanders to that of the Bowie knife in North America? There seems to be a lot of parallel general usage.

I have not read this whole thread so, sorry if this has been asked before.

Mike........
Yes. I'm definately no expert on any knife, and certainly not the bowie. :roll: But as far as i'm concerned about a Bowie, this knife was invented by James Bowie and it's a clip point knife, right? About 30 cm blade?? :roll: But one cannot compare the too, in any way.

Never tried a Bowie, but in my mind, no other big blade can beat the leuku. :shock: :wink: The curve towards the tip, makes it good for skinning and preparing vegetables. It can also chop and slice. The clip point also allow better batoning. :biggthump IMO.

Some may not agree on this, and perhaps say that a kukri is better, but a kukri is 10 mm+ over the spine which makes it absolutely too heavy for carving.

M

Mike Stewart

Viking,

I tend to agree with you about blades shapes. In actuallity Jim Bowie accidentilly invented the Bowie knife from his fame. He didn't actually invent it as a specific pattern. There are hundreds of patterns of bowies and many are just like your knife.

I guess I was refering to the use as an all around large field knife.

I like large knives that have enough of a straight area from the plunge line to be very useful for food preperation and a nice curve closer to the point for slicing and cutting.

As a knife designer, I always try to combine good looks with practical use.

I have noticed that your knife does not have any quillions or protruding guards. I also prefer knives that do not have quillions. I find that the quillions just get in my way in using the knife for various tasks.

Am I correct that you also don't like guards?

Mike.........

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Mike Stewart said:
Am I correct that you also don't like guards?
You're 100% right! :D I hate guards... I've never tried a guard which was comfortable. And never needed anyone, as my hand has never slipped the handle. :wink:

Most guards interfer with both sharpening and carving as well as many other tasks. But my leuku is available with a guard, and that one is used by the Norwegian SAS. :biggthump

The Strømeng leuku is grinded at 22 degrees, which makes it a good chopper. Normal bevel angle is 16-17, if I remember correctly. Though this can vary. :wink:

I prefer big blades instead of axes. The reason is that a big blade is better for chopping of boughs than an axe. It's very rare that I need too split something, and if, this can be done with a baton. The axe is best suited for splitting though. :)

Until a few weeks ago (when I posted the New/old axe thread) I had a very dull axe, which I never thought could become one again, but then I took a rough grinding stone and started to grind. Not just sharpen, but actually grind... Then moving on to a finer stone. Then stropped it. It's now razor sharp, and I think it's convex! :D :biggthump

Cheers

M

Mike Stewart

Viking,

I am also a believer in a large knife over a small axe. I have used some of the small axes and they are very good but I have proven to myself that the large knife can be more useful in a lot of situations.

In larger field knives I like a 7.5 inch to 9.5 inch blade length and do not seem to need a lot of extra weight in the blade.

Mike......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE