Frederiek / Altti Kankaanpää puukko impressions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nightfly

On a new journey
Dec 22, 2010
ANC
When I first spotted this "airplane part" inspired knife on British Blades, it immediately appealed to me. It reminded me of one airplane in particular that I have fond memories of.

Frederiek is fairly new to the BB forum and I have followed her work with interest. Scandinavian style blades are not usually my cuppa tea, but this one did away with all those reservations, so I contacted her and to my delight found out that the knife was for sale.

The blade is an Altti Kankaanpää (I believe it is the Saami model), steel is the same as Lauri uses, 3mm Böhler 0.8 % carbonsteel. The stats: length 22,5 cm of which 10,6 cm is blade. I am not sure what the definition of a puukko really is, but as puukkos go, I suppose this one is of generous size, compared here to a Kallioniemi puukko.

The grind is somewhere between a high scandi and a low sabre grind, depending on your point of view. The blade is very slightly convex, with a very small secondary microbevel. After a few passes through the obligatory smurfpoo, the edge felt bitey and ready for cutting duty.

I had my reservations when I first saw the sheath, being used to the higher puukko sheaths that seem to be the norm for these. Aesthetically I still prefer the high throated sheath for this style of knife, but the knife is very secure and tight fitting and the extra handle sticking out makes it much easier to retrieve, so in the end this changed my opinion about it. It is well put together too, with a genuine wood insert instead of a plastic one, and precise and even stitching. I like the antique finish, it goes very well with the rest of the blade. I took off the beltloop as I prefer to keep knives in my pack most of the time.

In the meanwhile I managed to score two sea kayaks from the bulletin board at the local outdoors supplier store and a few days ago they were delivered. An excellent opportunity to try out the kayaks and the knife :D

This is one of those knives that immediately feels at home in the hand. The handle work has been very nicely done, front and end bolsters are aluminium with red and white spacers. Frederiek put a stacked leather handle on this knife, with a combination of reindeer and cowhide. The whole thing was then polished and treated with beeswax. It really has been done well and if I run my finger the entire length of the handle, I feel absolutely no bounderies between all the handle ingredients, it has been polished flat and that feels supremely comfortable.
Aluminium will dull over time but that suits me just fine. The rivet has been covered with a rosewood cap, fitting perfectly without any gaps. The lack of finger grooves makes for a very uniform feel in different grips and the pronounced belly provides enough feedback and protection from slipping forward on the handle.

I had half expected the handle to deform slightly after I got it wet, but the handle dried perfectly flush, the way it was to begin with. Handle felt very grippy when wet and the beeswax probably prevents water from saturating the leather, as it dried very quickly.
The forged look on the top half of the handle works well with this knife (IMHO), leaving a very textured spine that sparked a firesteel easily.

This is a type of blade that has been around for awhile and you can see why. It is very versatile and up to most tasks, particularly woodworking tasks, giving the user lots of control and ample blade length.

We found a suitable camping spot for our overnight stay and the puukko managed to split some fairly seasoned firewood and was very capable at producing fine curls on feathersticks.

It is still reasonably cold over here and there are patches of snow that never seem to go away, but spring is in the air and the evergreens are, well, forever green...
There already were some raspberries, still a bit sour but edible, very early in the season.
Together with common dog violet and some salmon, we had all the ingredients for a tasty meal.

Certainly like this knife very much and I'll be looking forward to Frederiek's next creation. Thanks for looking!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE